Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
What Wicca REALLY is... (~Info Dump, Please Read~) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Trusty Shamrock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:11 pm
hah. ish sorta like a roller coaster then rofl "yuu must be this old teh be a wiccan"
what if someones on their way teh be wiccan but not wiccan yet? neutral they just witches? or...wiccs? i really like the word witch 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm
Azhren
what if someones on their way teh be wiccan but not wiccan yet? neutral they just witches? or...wiccs? i really like the word witch 3nodding
This pickled vegetable...

In cases like that, you would be a Seeker.

... could kick your a** !!

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Trusty Shamrock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:19 pm
Renkon Root
Azhren
This pickled vegetable...

In cases like that, you would be a Seeker.

... could kick your a** !!
oh cool 3nodding like the tv show. i didnt know that i didnt know so much xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:01 pm
This Thread has become a Sticky, if that's okay with you Cal.
biggrin

Artistic Genocide
Captain

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 pm
Artistic Genocide
This Thread has become a Sticky, if that's okay with you Cal.
biggrin
As you were, I was

And I think I might delete all the useless posts

As I am, you will be

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:29 pm
Go for it.

Artistic Genocide
Captain

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:04 pm
Hmmm. Ok well thank you. Now I know Wiccan isn't for me.

Though I think people claim to be Wiccan because they want to feel like their mysterious and apart of this secret/special "club" (for lack of a better word). Kind of like a tree house club.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:13 pm
Cal you might want to take out the info dump in the first post.  

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Little Batwing
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm
Why? What's wrong with it?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm
Morg asked that her info dump was not anymore except by a few people.  

rmcdra
Crew

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am
User Image

I'm about to, I forgot this thread was here.

"Damn my blood... I scorn to do anyone a mischief, when it is not for my advantage."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am
Oh, that's a shame. sad  

Little Batwing
Crew

Irish Fea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm
I'm new, just joined... Thanks for accepting me.

I'm not going to argue or say you guys are wrong, I'm just curious as to how the huge difference between what is written in the books that everyone thinks is what Wicca is and what you guys are saying Wicca is.

Also, what do you call what they write about in those books?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:29 pm
nikki_is_me
I'm not going to argue or say you guys are wrong, I'm just curious as to how the huge difference between what is written in the books that everyone thinks is what Wicca is and what you guys are saying Wicca is.

Also, what do you call what they write about in those books?
User Image

This is a question I'm not really sure of the answer of. I think Scop or Morg might be better suited to answer it as they are our resident Wiccans here. Maybe Sang, she's also very knowledgeable about things like this.

I can be sure that its not any one thing.

I think that the misconception is greatly caused by the fact that Wicca is a secretive tradition. Those initiated are made to take oaths never to share the inner practices with non-initiates. Fore this reason any books on Wicca (real Wicca) can only include Outtercourt practices. They cannot share any of the deeper aspects of their religion.

Because of this, whenever an author like Cunningham (or any one of his contemporaries) starts publishing their ENP books and calling it Wicca, all the Wiccan community can do it say "You're wrong!" But not give any counter examples of what Wicca really is. They have the historical facts on their side and all that jazz, but because they can't answer when people ask "Well then tell us what Wiccan really is?" everyone just goes along with what the "fluffs" say it is. After a while things just spiral out from there.

Another contributor is the media and just pop-culture in general. TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed and the like. Even non-gothic or supernatural shows like Bones and Psych have had their stand alone episodes of ill-researched "Wicca". People see these things being depicted on their favorite TV shows and hear it being called "Wicca" and decide that that's what Wicca is without ever doing any actual fact checking of their own.

Another thing is just marketability. Remember: Every single book in you local book store was not published to educate you on its subject matter (that's just a secondary goal). No, books are published to make money. First and foremost. How do they get people to buy books? By making them look and sound appealing. So, they give them romantic-looking covers with dramatic descriptions on the back and an intriguing title. As I said in our PM exchange, the word "Wicca" sound much more appealing than "Eclectic Neo-Paganism".

Which book would you rather buy:
"Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" or "Eclectic Neo-Paganism for the Solitary Practitioner"

Its a simple question of making the books marketable and appealing in order to make money.

And to answer your final question, instead of "Wicca" we call it "Eclectic Neo-Paganism".

Because it does not follow any other pagan faith, nor can most followers of ENP agree on any two aspects of their faith/practice and they take pieces from several other faiths they get dubbed "Eclectic". Because they do not follow the Abramatic god they are "pagan". Because they are making their own religion that's unique to them and in "new" we call them "Neo".

I hope this helped.

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Sanguina Cruenta

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm
nikki_is_me

Well, there are a few books on Wicca as Wicca actually is. Like those by Gardner and a few by the Farrars.

It's sort of a few different factors. People heard "Wicca" was a name for witchcraft and they used it for their books. Others with a passing knowledge of Wicca but little real knowledge, like Cunningham, wrote books for people to be going on with until they could find a coven. It sort of wasn't an issue until the late 70s and early 80s, and then you started getting people who learned from these books writing books themselves under the title "Wicca", and then another decade of people doing the same, and another.

I don't have the history of it ironed out properly. But, at this point there are people who think they've been practising Wicca for 20 years yet have no idea what it is.

And really the big thing is that the publishers don't care. Particularly Lewellyn, whose fault all this really is. They never fact check at Lewellyn. Not even for the most basic information, such as whether the ancient Celtic peoples had potatoes.  
*~General Discussion and Debate~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff