Strange Herbs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 pm
The other day, I noticed that one of my friends was drying dandelion leaves. I asked him why he was doing it, and he informed me on the herbal properties of Dandelions. I never knew that such a pleasant little weed could be so powerful, but it is. Here is a quote from Witchipedia that has almost the same information that he gave me.

Quote:
"Magical Atributes
The dandelion is masculine in action and associated with the planet Jupiter, the element of air and both Pisces and Sagittarius. It is also associated with any solar deity, Hecate, Brigid and Belenos.

A tea of the flowers and leaves may be drunk to increase psychic ability while pouring boiling water over a bowlful of roots will aid in calling spirits.

Healing Atributes
Dandelion is most often used as a diuretic and in cleansingi tonics and in cases of kidney and liver issues.
For liver issues, a tincture from the flower tops and/or a broth of the leaves is said to bring relief.
For stones, make a decoction of the root and cool before straining and then sweeten with honey. Drink a mugful morning and night. This is also good for indigestion and other stomach complaints.

A very strong decoction of the herb and root is recommended for many skin eruptions as its cleansing action helps purge impurities that can cause pimples, eczema and other skin issues. Drink a mugful several times a day.

In the early spring gather dandelion leaves by the bucketful and boil them up with some sorrel, parsley, carrots and onions to make a delightful broth than you can then can or freeze as a base for any number of soups the rest of the year. Use this base whenever you are feeling bloated or have digestive issues or simply feel the need to cleanse."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I was wondering if any of you know of some interesting and peculiar "herbs" that you don't normally find in the kitchen, but may find in the cauldron, or even in the backyard.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:48 pm
This is one that i've been raving about for some time. Staghorn Sumac!
This tree has so many uses, or at least many more than you might expect. The liquid from boiled sumac root is used for urinary disorders, fevers, and cold. roots and berries can be pounded into a mash to treat hemorrhoids, warts, fever blisters and cancer sores. The liquid from boiled berries can treat irregular menstruation, dysentery, fevers and colds, as well as a wash to stop hemor-rhaging after child birth and as an astringent gargle. Tea from the berries is used to loosen mucus in the throat. Berries also can be used as a poultice to stop bleeding. Root bark and berries were used to treat diarrhea leucorrhea and febrile diseases. Plant bark is also used for internal complaints, dermatitis and diabetes. Crushed leaves can be used as a poultice for skin diseases and a leaf decoction was used for venereal disease. Leaves and seeds are used to dry oozing sores, ulcers, and gangrene.Sumac are used as a dye for browns (leaves), yellows (roots), grays (berries), and blacks (seeds). The red autumn leaves of shiny sumac are used for dye and for tanning, as the plant contains tannin. The split bark has been used in basket making.

Magical Properties: In addition to the sumac, it is suppose to bring peace and harmony and resolve difficulties.  

zainith666

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 pm
zainith666
In addition to the sumac, it is suppose to bring peace and harmony and resolve difficulties.
This pickled vegetable...

Is it a natural sedative then?

... could kick your a** !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm
Although I do not have anything of use to add, this really reminded me of Dandelion Wine. Making useful things out of strange ingredients.

But it is very interesting that there are healing agents all around us.

sex.drugs.and.rock

ChamomileSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 pm
Catnip:
Though it is best known for it's effects on cats, it is actually very human friendly. The oil, even in small concentrations, is effective at repelling mosquitos and some other pests. It has mild sedative an pain killing properties. It is useful against menstral cramps, stomache aches,gas, and restlessness. It can even be used to help mild toothaches. (My best friend's father has a tooth that was packed with fresh catnip leaves over 40 years ago by his mother, it hasn't given him any trouble in all that time.)
Magical properties include love, luck, beauty and animal magic. Leaves make great bookmarks though your cat may start attacking your books. It is associated with Venus and the element of Water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:41 am
I did not know all that about catnip. Very interesting. I did know that catnip made an excellent tea, and I was growing some in my garden. Unfortunately I have cats, and they sort of completely destroyed that plant.  

zabazor
Vice Captain

Mika Lockheart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:57 am
All three posts are really informative for me! I honestly don't do much with herbal healing-- that's really my boyfriend's thing. However, now I'ma going to keep that all in mind and give it a try-- especially the dandelion one. Enough of those on my lawn as it is. They may as well be useful instead of being "bee attractors". XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 am
Ok, I found some information about cattails, but I'd love it if someone else can find more.
Effects: strong
Planet: Mars
Element: fire
healing properties: Eat the flowering head to stop diarrhea. Mixing the down with animal fat makes a healing poultice used on bruises and burns. The down is also good for stopping the flow of blood.

Other than this the down that comes off of cattails makes great stuffing material for pillows and anything of the liking. And the most interesting fact about cattails is that they are almost all edible and nutritious, having more carbohydrates than a potato and having great nutritional value where the flower connects to the stem.
If you have anymore information, please just post it here. I also love seeing Catnip up here and I really hope people try to find more. Who knows, you might find out that plant hanging in the windowsill has more healing properties and magical properties than anything else you may be using.  

zainith666

doistu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 am
I have foxgloves in my garden which is also known as digitalis. A poisonous plant on par with deadly nightshade.
I'm drying some of the flowers now for use in banishings and, maybe, hexes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:32 am
I know a little about Dandelion but I didn't realize its attributes. Since I'm from Newfoundland, I was shown by ny nan that you can boil the green bits of the dandelion (not the stem and yellow part, the other part) and it is eatable. Apparently it makes a nice wine too.

I know there is a soothing property to mint though.... but this doesn't seem to be an unusual herb. but it is good for an upset stomach.  

saturnknight

8,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100

zainith666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:00 am
Just for a fun fact, the stem is edible but bitter and the flower is edible but also bitter. Most people tend to only eat the leaves of a dandelion, but the root is also commonly eaten.
And mint is a great herb! hey, does anyone know if there are different properties for different types of mint leaves? 0.o Like spearmint to peppermint?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:16 am
zainith666
Just for a fun fact, the stem is edible but bitter and the flower is edible but also bitter. Most people tend to only eat the leaves of a dandelion, but the root is also commonly eaten.
And mint is a great herb! hey, does anyone know if there are different properties for different types of mint leaves? 0.o Like spearmint to peppermint?

My favourite kind of mint is chocolate mint!! No idea of its properties but I love it.  

doistu

KatsumiBatei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am
doistu
I have foxgloves in my garden which is also known as digitalis. A poisonous plant on par with deadly nightshade.
I'm drying some of the flowers now for use in banishings and, maybe, hexes.

Oh i have some fox glove to, i found out after i got it that the leaves contain and ingredient that's in heart medication,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
KageKitsuneB

Oh i have some fox glove to, i found out after i got it that the leaves contain and ingredient that's in heart medication,

I was googling it and found that too biggrin
I also found out that comfrey is, apparently, a carcinogenic!  

doistu

The Memoirs - - [old threads, party scrapbooks, etc]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces