Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roleplaying Gems [A Literate Roleplaying Community]

Back to Guilds

We provide a roleplaying environment suitable for learning, teaching, mentoring, and benefiting from that experience. 

Tags: roleplaying, gems, literate, roleplay, fantasy 

Reply Roleplaying Gems [Roleplaying + Community Area]
In need of your opinion~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mad~Madisson

Sweet Pyromaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Got an itch for steampunk?

…because I do.

For a while now I have wanted to participate in a role-play with a steam punk environment, but I have not had the luck of finding one that was currently active.

For those of you who have no idea what steampunk is you can go here, read the first paragraph and you will get an idea of what it is. If you are interested, continue reading it, it is a rather fascinating read.

! If you have any comments, critiques, advice, input, or even why you think this idea might not work, just post it.
The reason I decided to create this thread was to see how many were actually interested in the idea and would be willing to join if I ever decided to make a role-play for it. Please do not be afraid to post your opinion.

So far, I have an environment or genre if you want to call it that. Now for story, since I have only had a single night to think about it, here is the sum of what I have come up with:

This story is based off of The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello. Please, do not watch if you want to partake in the role-play spoiler free. Though the role-play will obviously go in a different direction than the short film, there are key elements that will keep the story moving that are shown there.

Quote:
The story takes place in a smoky industrial metropolis where steam-powered dirigibles are the primary mode of transportation, and where a terrible flesh-eating plague is decimating the population.

There would be a ship that would be deployed for either two reasons: depending on how many players I want to allow and the popular choice amongst your selves.

• The first would be a cruise like voyager where multiple characters can join for various reasons.

• The second would be much more loyal to the original story this is based off. A dirigible is deployed by the government at the outset to distribute mobile weather beacons along the route of its next voyage.

In either choice, another passenger, an eccentric doctor who happens to be a Royal Academy physician searching for a cure for the plague, joins them.

Here the story takes off and can go in various directions depending on the players.

• What would your opinion on this be?
  • Would it fail or have a good run?
  • Why do you think so?
  • Which of the two ships did you decided on and why?
  • What would you change?
  • Is it because of personal preference that you would change that, or do you believe it would make the role play more appealing to broader audience?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:43 pm
I like the idea of a steam punk roleplay but I do not like the story line. ^w^"  

Berry Checker

8,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Heckler 50
  • Mark Twain 100

Mad~Madisson

Sweet Pyromaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Awesome. Nice to see steampunk lovers.

What type of stories attract you in a steampunk setting?

Cause I think there's different levels of steampunk. Right now only two come to mind, the ones who are more historically inclined, meaning they have a stronger Victorian air to them. Or the High Fantasy steampunk, like many of the Final Fantasy games.

Or are you referring to the mood, or genre? Like if it were more of a romantic, mystery or so on?

Or the setting? The last rp I was in was actually in another steampunk forum called Berith (very good, but little activity), and it was mainly based around students in a academy.

I wanted to avoid the academy scene though, seeing that's I have mainly spotted in Gaia.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 am
Steampunk's a good idea for a roleplay, really. You just have to be careful not to come too close to Tuatha, which is another Roleplay with Steampunk elements. I know Tuatha isn't very active lately, but it's bound to get back on its feet once Minai's done with what's keeping her away from the guild.

Keep looking and working on that. I can't say I'm 100% sure I'd join, but you're bound to find some interested RPers. 3nodding

Metal-Ridley
Crew

Mad~Madisson

Sweet Pyromaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 am
To tell you the truth I was actually thinking of creating it outside the guild since I've noticed that not many people are interested. It might have a better chance out there, though I could be wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm
I don't like the whole illness thing XD
just do what I did for one of my roleplays in a different guild~
Set it up in barton and when it dies bring it back to guilds and drag the people who you like back with you. <3
and recruit a bit. ;D  

Berry Checker

8,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Heckler 50
  • Mark Twain 100

Mad~Madisson

Sweet Pyromaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:02 am
Oh, I see. =]

Well, there's a whole reason behind the plague. I rather not say much for now, so not to spoil it.

You know, that's actually a good idea. I just might do that. Thank you Frostie. =3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 pm
Someone should really make a steam punk roleplay... just saying... xp

Exploding sofa

Heartless901

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 pm
Steampunk is always interesting, and I'd think that it would open up many avenues of roleplaying. Interesting story, but I wonder how this would be executed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 pm
I am in love with this storyline. Really. My one reservation is that I know very little about steampunk. I have never read any novels and what I do know is from wiki, conventions, and a newly obsessed fan who is a friend of mine though I tend to just nod and smile after the ranting hits two hours. Eh heh.

So... the world sounds wonderful, I would just be a newbie.

As far as following the storyline goes, I think as long as you leave room for creativity it would be fine. It's the roleplayers that make the story. A good plot helps, certainly, but it's not the driving force. Well, that's my opinion. If you do end up setting it outside the guild (though unfortunate) would you mind at least linking it here? I would definitely be interested in joining so long as you don't mind a bit of a newbie. =)  

Thaedrian

Quotable Dabbler

11,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100

Kittyusha

Loyal Guildswoman

9,450 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 am
I would enjoy a Steampunk RP, would give me something to do as well.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:45 pm
I've never really roleplayed in a steampunk world but I think that they are pretty awesome despite how little steampunk I've ever seen/read. I would definitely be in if someone created a steampunk RP!  

Saruki Jeitai

900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Roleplaying Gems [Roleplaying + Community Area]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items