Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~
  ~
View Results

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 pm
Right, so, my mom's birthday was in March, and we didn't really celebrate it as well as we could have.

So I want to make it up for her on Mother's Day, and I was figuring I might as well go for the traditional (but not so for me) approach and try to cook her something. I want to prepare ahead of time, since I know I'll be busy the next month.

I'd like to cook something simple.

Remember that I am the person who once popped a peeled, whole hard-boiled egg into the microwave, only to have it explode three seconds later.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 pm
Are you thinking of doing lunch, breakfast, dinner, beverage or a desert? Is she overly health/weight conscious? If there's something you're wanting to make but don't know how to make it, go to recipezaar, sort by top rated and pick out something simple with plenty high reviews. You can't go wrong with something that has 40+ 5 star ratings and moms singing about how their kids finally ate their dinners without complaints. 3nodding  

Toontastic
Vice Captain

O.G. Member

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm
Holy crud. I guess any one meal would work.

I was thinking breakfast, but come to think of it I never do get up earlier than her.

So, let's say dessert or lunch.

She's not overly health/weight conscious, but she doesn't like really sweet things.

I'll check that site out ;3  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 am
Hmm... something simple, a dessert perhaps, but nothing too sweet?
How about a drop cookie?
Peanut butter cookies, for example, are more rich than sweet, madly simple, and make a lovely dessert. It's all in the presentation. A plate of cookies with a napkin and a glass of milk is dessert. A cookie on the cooling rack is a treat.

Kittywitch's Great-Grandmother Ellie

2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

Dump all ingredients into a bowl and mix. I suggest measuring the oil in a liquid measuring cup, then adding the peanut butter to the oil until it reaches two cups, so that the peanut butter doesn't stick to the cup.
Roll the mixture into balls about the diameter of a silver dollar. Squish them twice with a fork so that there is a crosshatched pattern on top of the cookie.
Bake for about eight minutes at 350. Makes eight to nine dozen.

Since you probably don't want eight to nine dozen, wrap up the excess dough in plastic wrap and freeze it, this dough freezes beautifully.  

Kittywitch
Crew

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 pm
Kittywitch
Hmm... something simple, a dessert perhaps, but nothing too sweet?
How about a drop cookie?
Peanut butter cookies, for example, are more rich than sweet, madly simple, and make a lovely dessert. It's all in the presentation. A plate of cookies with a napkin and a glass of milk is dessert. A cookie on the cooling rack is a treat.

Kittywitch's Great-Grandmother Ellie

2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

Dump all ingredients into a bowl and mix. I suggest measuring the oil in a liquid measuring cup, then adding the peanut butter to the oil until it reaches two cups, so that the peanut butter doesn't stick to the cup.
Roll the mixture into balls about the diameter of a silver dollar. Squish them twice with a fork so that there is a crosshatched pattern on top of the cookie.
Bake for about eight minutes at 350. Makes eight to nine dozen.

Since you probably don't want eight to nine dozen, wrap up the excess dough in plastic wrap and freeze it, this dough freezes beautifully.

That should do the trick biggrin

Hopefully the oven won't burn up on me. I pray that my oven has the same amount of power as yours.  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 am
It shouldn't be a problem. If they don't look a dry, toasted brown (the dough starts out golden brown), then put them in for another few minutes.  

Kittywitch
Crew

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Cherry_slushy
Captain

Questionable Sex Symbol

11,625 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:15 pm
A website that I always go to for recipes is FBNR.com. It has every type of food and allows for substitutions in their recipes. 3nodding  
A Helping Hand

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games