Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Greek Mythology Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oceantail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Hello, I am Oceantail, this class was about Greek mythology, it seems the interest in this subject has died down so I am discontinuing lessons. However I encourage anyone who wants to to look through the lessons, do the projects, and ask me questions, take your edification into your own hands. I will always be happy to answer questions posted or help anyone who needs it in this particular topic. so you all can ignore the due dates because I won't check them, while I can tutor if you wish I won't have official students. For Guild purposes I do not wish to receive payment for these services as I am not teaching a class so much as being a tutor to a guide. This service is free to anyone who asks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:42 pm
Class policies:

*Follow all TOS that apply (both guild and gaia)
*I will try to post new lessons weekly
*homework will be given due dates when they are put up, remember this class runs on a weekly basis so check frequently.
* unless other wise noted (such as a case with a test homework should be posted in this forum and I will trust that you will be able to find your own results and not steal from your peers

*No cheating, Athena will be watching, and you'll only cheat yourself

How to Join:
PM me with the following:
Name, Reason for interest, Preferred title (Mr. Ms. Mrs., for PM purposes) and say "I have read and understand the Class polices message

Things of note:
I will write in document when I am giving class instructions, the rest will be me contributing to the lesson or (if I write in ornate) will be either a change in policy or another housekeeping type note

I look forward to a good and productive class  

oceantail

oceantail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm
Bulletin board
Welcome students of Greek mythology this post will serve as the notice for Classwork (I will also post a date next to them)
Lesson I posted March 31, 2010
Lesson I-B posted April 1, 2010
Classwork I posted April 3, 2010
Classwork I deadline April 9, 2010
Lesson II Posted April 14, 2010
Lesson II-b Posted April 18, 2010
Classwork II posted April 18, 2010
Classwork II deadline April 24, 2010
Classwork III posted June 19, 2010
Classwork III deadline June 25, 2010  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm
Helpful Hints for Students:
The following sites I endorse and believe that a good deal of their information is true and accurate:
* The Mystica (good for a large encyclopedia, the Mythic-folk is gods and goddesses, the Mystica is a variety of pagan stuff.)

A book I will be using a lot:
Penguin; Dictionary of Classical Mythology

oh and before I forget for those who start up in the middle of the course, I will make a personalized plan with you to get up to speed with the rest of the class, so don't worry smile

*edit*
I found this after some searching and I think it can help some beginners.
User Image
so you know I acknowledge there are some errors (Athena is not the child of Zeus and Hera, and there may be others, I did not make this but it is a visual aid at least until I can make one on my own. (I've had some technical problems)  

oceantail

oceantail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm
Lesson I
Welcome to Greek Mythology class. Our section will consist of the the 12 main deities and their home the covered in this section are as follows:
Zeus, Hera, Athena, Ares, Artemis, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hermes, Poseidon, Hades, Hephaestus, and Demeter.

Starting with the king, Zeus.
User Image
Zeus is also known as Jupiter to the Romans, He got this name when the Romans combined the words Zeus and "pater" (meaning father) Zeu-pater Jupater Jupiter
If you have read many myths about him you will know that he is a Nymphomaniac who goes after anything on two legs, and sometimes he isn't even that picky. This often incurred the wrath of Hera on his partner. you'd think the goddess of marriage would have better taste in men...

Zeus is king of the gods because he rescued his kin from the belly of his father Cronos thus freeing the world so that it may be ruled by them rather then the titans. As the king of the gods he was granted power over lightning, because its good to be the king, but more accurately as a weapon from the hundred-handed giants, to fight his father and the titans.

He is the wife of Hera, The father of Artemis and Apollo (by the mortal Leto), Athena (after eating her mother she popped out of his head, with some help from Hephaestus's hammer), as well as many, many others.

any questions so far should be posted or PMed to me  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:24 pm
where do you want this class to go? do you want to:
A) Focus on the deities for knowledge value
B) Focus on the myths for knowledge value
C) Focus on the deities for ritual value
D) Other (please be specific)
this will help to know what direction to take this class in smile
(I am currently going with A if you are curious, though changing this early won't cause any disturbance)  

oceantail

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 pm
The best place for info on the Greek Gods and Mythology is Theoi.com - very well researched site.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 am
too2sweet
The best place for info on the Greek Gods and Mythology is Theoi.com - very well researched site.

I will look into that but I am more familiar with my book, and I may incorporate Ovid's Metamorphoses for use of mythology, as I find them to be an accurate surviving model of the myths  

oceantail

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 am
I personally would like to see A+B+C. I would however like to see more data in each lesson, but that is a personal thing. I would also like to see you add more God/dess(s) to the list so that it doesn't come to a screeching halt.

Idea~Maybe you could have a little of all three in every Lesson on one god/dess. like "What/Who the god is" "A myth about them" "a ritual about the god/dess." Just a thought. You can always go against this formula later on.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:23 pm
zabazor
I personally would like to see A+B+C. I would however like to see more data in each lesson, but that is a personal thing. I would also like to see you add more God/dess(s) to the list so that it doesn't come to a screeching halt.

Idea~Maybe you could have a little of all three in every Lesson on one god/dess. like "What/Who the god is" "A myth about them" "a ritual about the god/dess." Just a thought. You can always go against this formula later on.

while I would enjoy nothing more then posting all of the information, it would mean three times the lesson length (not to mention the C is hard to find stuff for) But A+B should still be fine because I am borrowing My latin teacher's copy of ovid's metamorphoses addressing your second question, the other deities (such as: cupid, pan, nike, etc.) will be covered in later sections, I am starting with the most famous deities first to provide an easier bridge for some students into the deeper myths. I do this because the 12 deities I am starting with at least one appears in most myths, and thus they can serve as a sort of base that students can connect the deeper myths to them and their motives(I use deeper to mean less common, or lesser known)  

oceantail

oceantail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:42 pm
Lesson I-B
Zeus and Europa
From Ovid's metamorphoses reworded by Oceantail

"Europa was playing with her friends in Sidon in the Royal playground. Up on Olympus none other but the king of the gods Zeus, He became infatuated with her on sight and decided he must have her. So he descended onto Sidon and took the form of a white bull. There he went to the place where Europa was playing and using his animal charm convinced her to get on his back. No sooner had she done so then he flew off from Sidon the place where he took her now bears her name Europe."  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:51 pm
I wish there was more to that myth but it kind of leaves what happens when they got their to your imagination though the dictionary says
Quote:
Europa had three sons by Zeus: Minos, Sarpedon and Rhadamnthys. Zeus gave her three gifts, the bronze atomaton (Talos), a dog that never let prey escape it, and a spear that never missed its mark

(also the specific place where she landed in Europe is the Isle of Crete)  

oceantail

oceantail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:18 am
Assignment 1
find another myth, either on the internet or a book, that tells of Zeus transforming to get a partner. Remember to cite your source. This is going to be class work so I will be due by next Friday unless other mitigating circumstances.
Extra-credit/ fun stuff write either a charm or a ritual, using Zeus, to either attract love, or make yourself open to love. (not to get a specific person mind you)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Homework due tomorrow, ARE YOU READY?  

oceantail

The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games