Welcome to Gaia! ::

Camp Half-Blood: The Forces of Olympus

Back to Guilds

A roleplay based upon The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan and Greek Mythology. 

Tags: Percy Jackson and The Olympians, Greek Mythology, Roleplaying, Mount Olympus, Ancient Greece 

Reply Camp Half-Blood: The Forces of Olympus
CtF Outcomes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this a good idea?
  ..huh?
  Yes! This is way more fair!
  No! Don't take all the suspense out of it!!
  Let's give it a shot and see how this works.
View Results

DeleteThisInactiveAccount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 am
User Image
Luna says:

camomatt
Pretend the rules were that one team wants 1 - 3 on a six sided dice while the other wants 4 - 6. You roll the dice if it lands on, say 2, the team that wanted that number wins the Capture the Flag game. The game is then formed around that decision so you have a game that makes sense. Although it's a major spoiler, you know how the game's supposed to work out and can make it even more fun and dramatic.

EX: Before the game starts, Athena wants 1 - 3. Ares wants 4 - 6. Die says 2. Ares automatically loses. The game starts, battle rages, Athena wins.

This way, we get rid of GM'ing, continual sacrifices, endless battling, etc. This makes the game more fair. After this game, the winners will be released 1 week before each game. That way, you have a while to plan.
However, there is a 3 page minimum for CtF battles.

This is where we roll the dice for the CtF games.

~Eos, Dawn Goddess

User Image

Are my fishies glowing? Bump here!  
DeleteThisInactiveAccount rolled 1 6-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-6)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 am
User Image
Luna says:

Okay. For the game of February 19, 2010, the flag holders are ATHENA and APHRODITE.

I will roll a single 6-sided die. If it rolls an EVEN number (2, 4, or 6), APHRODITE will win.
If it rolls an ODD number (1, 3, or 5), ATHENA will win.

~Eos, Dawn Goddess

User Image

BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 am
Aphrodite wins but qwe have to make a decision of who gets the flag.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 am
Yeah, and there's also the problem of the die roller cheating. A thing that happened in the RP I mentioned was that one racer actually lost, but rolled again to win.  

camomatt

Dapper Cultist

BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:58 am
I don't think there will be any cheating. I hope not. We need to alert the guild 'bout this. Camomatt , Since this was your idea in the first place why don't you sned an announcement?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 am
I'm a bit busy at the moment and will be leaving in about an hour.  

camomatt

Dapper Cultist

BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am
Oh fine...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 pm
User Image
Luna says:

Uh-oh. I jumped the gun again, didn't I? *sighs* Sorry. Alright, umm.. er. I can't think of anything cheat-proof off the top of my head, but I'll try to come up with something.

And we can certainly roll the dice for which TEAM is going to win, but I think the winning cabin & camper should still be left up to chance.
First of all, we don't know for sure who will be online for the game, and second of all I think this much control would be too complicated before the game and not fun enough during.

~Eos, Dawn Goddess

User Image

LollyxBeans

Rainbow Roisterer

11,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:10 pm
If it's pre-decided, it friggen sucks. Where's the fun in that? Nobody will post. I say, if you're going to do a turn-based rolling game, do it the good old fashioned way.

1- Roll a 20 sided Die, as you attempt your action.
2- Depending on the number, the other person responds with how well it worked (or didn't work, as the case may be)

1 is an automatic epic fail. Like, you're aiming at someone's head and you shoot yourself in the kneecap.
20 is an epic win. Like, you're aiming at their head and not only do you hit their head but it also rains gold on your head. (Exaggeration. Not really)

The only problem with this is that we'd need a ranking of 2-19 for what happens. The easiest way I see is that each character, based on a test, gets a 'rank', and if you roll above the rank they have your action succeeds.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm
That would take far too long and be far too boring. The point of it being pre-decided is so you don't have people fighting an endless battle and to keep god-modding at its absolute minimum.  

camomatt

Dapper Cultist

LollyxBeans

Rainbow Roisterer

11,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm
Take note that it would prevent god-modding, as if you don't roll above the rank you fail.

Also, it's only boring if you're uncreative and boring yourself. If you can think of interesting and funny actions, it's fun. If you stand and try to stab with a crappy one-liner...well, you suck.

Pre-decided is far more boring. It's taking all the fun out of competition. I mean, what's the point in fighting if you already know who's going to win?
Also, it being 'too long' is bull-crap. Limiting it makes the posts rushed and encourages god-modding to end it. Rushed is bad. Take note of Eragon. The series (books) tried to pack too much into itself, couldn't do it, and it ended up sucking on parts that should have been amazingly cool.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:56 pm
1. Technically, you could still god-mod. If you're not going to commit an action, you can still just say you jump over the dividing line. (ex: Took out the guards [through dice roll] and jumps over the dividing line)

2. The point in fighting is to fill in the gaps and show you didn't lose without dignity (or whatever word you want to use). For example, just before they go over the dividing line, you made a last leap to tackle, but missed. It also makes it so dice rolling is not needed.

3. If they were to leap and make it, that would just make the thing continue on even longer. The next thing that would need to be done is to see if the flag holder can push them off. And if they can't (due to the dice roll), then the whole thing's boring for that one person.

4. Read the last statement about the too-long thing. Tackled down, can't get up. Assume the same kind of thing happened for the other team. Then you just have a game that won't end.

Overall, the individual dice rolls would take long. I have no idea what you mean by this whole rank system or whatever. Which brings me to my last fun-fact.

5. There'd be a lot of cheating. You can delete your old posts and easily create the same one with a different dice roll.  

camomatt

Dapper Cultist

camomatt

Dapper Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm
Luna Lumine
User Image
Luna says:

Uh-oh. I jumped the gun again, didn't I? *sighs* Sorry. Alright, umm.. er. I can't think of anything cheat-proof off the top of my head, but I'll try to come up with something.

And we can certainly roll the dice for which TEAM is going to win, but I think the winning cabin & camper should still be left up to chance.
First of all, we don't know for sure who will be online for the game, and second of all I think this much control would be too complicated before the game and not fun enough during.

~Eos, Dawn Goddess

User Image

If you're the only one that makes the dice rolls, then it's safe. I feel as if I can trust you pretty well.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm
Lolly has a point, I mean it would be really boring if you knew who won. It's like fighting a battle that can't be won. What's the point of that?  

BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Crew

LollyxBeans

Rainbow Roisterer

11,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm
As fast as CTF games have gone so far, you wouldn't have TIME to delete and recreate rolls and posts. By the time I refresh my page, there's another four posts beneath mine.  
Camp Half-Blood: The Forces of Olympus

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff