Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Strictness / Dialect in Conlanging

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dukonnaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm
I don't know about you guys, but often, conlanging for me can seem a bit formulaic. Like an equation in which the parts make a definite and easily recognisable meaning. If they don't, you might work out a way for them to. But obviously it can be a bit different IRL.

For example, with Australians, our intonation can change the meaning of a sentence between asking a question and prompting agreement.

"How hot is it today?" could be interpreted as a question about the level of heat expected for the day. With only slight emphasis change, it is basically saying "Today is very hot, isn't it?"

Do you guys take into account regional dialects and the breaking down of specific structures over time and influence?

Do you evolve and deconstruct your conlang as your relationship with it grows?

I suppose my question extends to your purpose for making a conlang. If you're creating one for a species in a world, or a secret code between friends, then you might not worry about distorting, contorting, crunching and squeezing your language into an authentically garbled piece of culture.

Hope this post made some sense.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm
I get what you are saying/asking. And it makes a lot of sense ^^ My friend was just talking to me about this recently actually, he does it a lot with his languages. I don't really hold on to them that long before they start to evolve into something new and then I change it all together.

We both however, do compile our past creations into libraries of 'language families' which we can then pull from later for ideas. And we do of course note the use the language was intended for, in case we are going to mention it as the mother tongue of the newly developed idea and what not.

Dialects and accents are very important to be noted with language, simply because language is just the communication of ideas, mostly done with humans through verbal communication. So being able to express multiple ideas and have someone understand them, is very important. Thus why putting them into your conlangs makes them feel more realistic and more evolved ^^  

Song Wei

Dukonnaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 am
Thank you. Didn't know if there was anyone on the same wavelength. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 pm
3nodding  

Song Wei

The Constructed Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers