Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wica vs. Wicca?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astrox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 pm
I've noticed some people using "Wica" and I'm assuming they're using it instead of "Wicca." Is there a difference? If so, what is it?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 am
Well yes, there's quite a noticeable difference.

Mainly, one has one "c", the other has two "c"s ninja  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 am
I use the single C spelling because that's what Gardner used, hence I use it to note his cult.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 pm
Cyrus the Elder
Well yes, there's quite a noticeable difference.

Mainly, one has one "c", the other has two "c"s ninja

Haha!

xp  

Astrox

Astrox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm
TeaDidikai
I use the single C spelling because that's what Gardner used, hence I use it to note his cult.

Thanks.

Do you know how the double 'c' came about then?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 pm
Astrox
Gardner's books included them in references to etymology, but not the cult.

I remember Scorplett mentioning there is oathbound information that shows an early use of the double C, but since we can't see it, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with the claim.

We do know that a rival cult used a double C spelling with an e later on, and that others adopted the double C-a spelling likely due to Gardner's habit of using Witch and Wica as synonyms.

Since clearly not all witches are of the Wica, this likely led to enough confusion that subtle differences were used to distinguish one from another which grew into larger distinctions as infighting birthed derogatory titles for different groups.  

TeaDidikai

Astrox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Astrox
Gardner's books included them in references to etymology, but not the cult.

I remember Scorplett mentioning there is oathbound information that shows an early use of the double C, but since we can't see it, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with the claim.

We do know that a rival cult used a double C spelling with an e later on, and that others adopted the double C-a spelling likely due to Gardner's habit of using Witch and Wica as synonyms.

Since clearly not all witches are of the Wica, this likely led to enough confusion that subtle differences were used to distinguish one from another which grew into larger distinctions as infighting birthed derogatory titles for different groups.

Ah, thanks.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff