Codex Alera triva

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

J. Dragonhater
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm
Wahoo a game! Okay, simple rules, answer the question, post your own! Obviously expect spoilers in this thread.

So to start;
What are the different types of furies?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 am
Earth, Fire, Wood, Wind, Water, and Metal.

What is Tavi's full name?  

Sprainogre
Crew

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Seserous
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Well by the end of Princep's fury it's Gaias Octavious but I think in the begining it was Caldernous Tavi. The whole last name first/last name comming from local lord if b*****d/ earning last names is kind of confusing.

What is Invida Aquantine pretending to be in the first book when she meets with Fidealous?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:37 am
    Just as an addendum, Tavi's name is Gaius Octavian as of the end of Princep's Fury. And it wasn't ever Calderonus Tavi. Calderonus is the name given to the Count of Calderon, and his family I suppose, which Bernard was not, until very very shortly before Tavi went off to the Academy (where he was Tavi patronus Gaius). Freeman, as far as I can tell, are not actually attributed with names/titles preceding the one name. It's only if they become Citizens that they have the right to additional names/titles. So, for example, at the beginning of Furies of Calderon, Bernard would have just been Bernard (maybe Bernard of Bernardholt, if it came to it), and Count Gram, who was subsequently retired to the Amaranth Vale (poor guy), would have actually been Calderonus Gram, at the time.

If you're the b*****d of a Citizen (meaning not legally recognised by said Citizen), or I suppose b*****d of anyone as long as they're a freeman and living in one of the capital cities (little hazy about that), you are regarded as belonging to the City's house (since High Lords each have their own state/province with its own capital city), and are given the '-ar' suffix to (what we consider to be) your surname (although it is written in the books as a first name, preceding the person's actual name). If you are the rightful heir, you are given the '-us' suffix to your surname (also commonly known in Western societies as a last name).

Let me use someone other than High Lord Antillus as an example, since he's the source of confusion. So, let's say the High Lord of Phrygia had 2 sons, a b*****d and a rightful heir. We'll call the b*****d Bob, and the rightful heir Larry.

Bob, being the child of a Citizen, is still rightfully entitled to more than just the one name, but as he has not been officially recognised by the High Lord as his son, he is considered part of the City's house (not the High Lord's house) instead. Therefore, his full name is Phrygiar Bob. Larry, as the legally recognised heir, is considered part of the High Lord's house (which would be known as the House of Phrygius). Therefore, his full name is Phrygius Larry.

Did that make it clearer? XD

Now, in answer to the trivia question: A slave girl, newly presented as a gift for her husband, Lord Aquitaine, who subsequently asked her to take care of Fidelias, without knowing that it was in actuality his wife.

Who was Tavi's patriserus at the Academy?

[edit]: Wow, this is a seriously old thread. Sorry, didn't realise XD

Macchiato Please

6,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

J. Dragonhater
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 pm
Good question, he was an old blind guy but I can't remember his name. Grr.

Back to your example Nikki Sky, weren't all the cities named after their High Lord? Antillus's city wasn't Phrygia.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 pm
    Killian xD

And yes. I was using a High Lord OTHER than High Lord Antillus as the example, because Antillus was the initial source of confusion in relation to the naming procedures in the series.

So I was using an entirely different High Lord, in my example, so that hopefully the explanation was a bit clearer. Which was why I used High Lord Phrygius and his attendant capital city (Phrygia), instead of High Lord Antillus and his attendant capital city (which I believe is called, Antillus).

I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my explanation that I would use a different High Lord than Antillus, instead, so that it would be clearer.

Macchiato Please

6,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Guardian Brother Kerberos

Dedicated Husband

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm
The cities are named for the Great Fury that dwells beneath or near them, and high lords are named for their city.
For example: Great fury Kalus, City of Kalare, High lord Kalarus  
The Dresden Files - The Official Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff