Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Shamanism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
demisara
So there's no term that we can use to refer to a cross-cultural occurrence of similar spiritual practices by similar people in their respective cultures that may or may not be related practices?

Maybe a better question would be, are the practices of the Shamans, the Seidr, etc etc related? Can we speak about them as one group of people? When they journey do they go to similar places or are the otherworlds culturally contained?

Does anyone know if these traditions developed independently of each other? That one's probably lost to history, but is there any traceable cultural diffusion at work in the details?
Do I know if North Asian religions containing Shaman and Norse Seidhr developed independently of each other? Not definitively, but I'm going to give a yes simply because of distance and difference of ethno-linguo group. Which is to say I'm pretty sure, but I couldn't prove it without a doubt. Is there any traceable diffusion? Not particularly.

They aren't provably related. They're similar, but that doesn't mean anything. I can name quite a few similarities between European and Aztec religion, but it doesn't make them related.

The only real way we can group them together is to say they have an otherworld tradition. Why we have to call all people of otherworld traditions Shaman is beyond me. Why aren't we using the world Volva instead?

Volva?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 am
ShadowCatSoul
Celeblin Galadeneryn
demisara
So there's no term that we can use to refer to a cross-cultural occurrence of similar spiritual practices by similar people in their respective cultures that may or may not be related practices?

Maybe a better question would be, are the practices of the Shamans, the Seidr, etc etc related? Can we speak about them as one group of people? When they journey do they go to similar places or are the otherworlds culturally contained?

Does anyone know if these traditions developed independently of each other? That one's probably lost to history, but is there any traceable cultural diffusion at work in the details?
Do I know if North Asian religions containing Shaman and Norse Seidhr developed independently of each other? Not definitively, but I'm going to give a yes simply because of distance and difference of ethno-linguo group. Which is to say I'm pretty sure, but I couldn't prove it without a doubt. Is there any traceable diffusion? Not particularly.

They aren't provably related. They're similar, but that doesn't mean anything. I can name quite a few similarities between European and Aztec religion, but it doesn't make them related.

The only real way we can group them together is to say they have an otherworld tradition. Why we have to call all people of otherworld traditions Shaman is beyond me. Why aren't we using the world Volva instead?

Volva?
Women, generally, who practice seidhr, along with spa and galdhr. With the Norse it's more common for women to practice than men, though men aren't exactly rare as practitioners. It has more to do with how the Norse saw magic and gender roles.

Basically, it's a similar position in Norse society as the Shaman is in Altaic society. Yet we've appropriated the Altaic word.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Why we have to call all people of otherworld traditions Shaman is beyond me. Why aren't we using the world Volva instead?
Because "backwards superstitions" belong to "the noble savages", not to the traditions of the enlightened Western Europeans- or at least, that was the thought when a bunch of the foundational anthropology was being done.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:04 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Why we have to call all people of otherworld traditions Shaman is beyond me. Why aren't we using the world Volva instead?
Because "backwards superstitions" belong to "the noble savages", not to the traditions of the enlightened Western Europeans- or at least, that was the thought when a bunch of the foundational anthropology was being done.
Hey, according to Ben Franklin, some Norse cultures aren't white as it is. (More base Germanic ones, but still. I'm not going to trust Franklin to know the different between a Dane and a German. They all speak funny non-Latinate languages anyways. Kind of like Ben Franklin, come to think of it.)

Besides, the "barbarian horde" isn't enlightened. That's saved for British Monks.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Besides, the "barbarian horde" isn't enlightened. That's saved for British Monks.
Not sure this comments much upon Victorian Historical Revisionism. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 am
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Is getting me started on 19th Germans really the way we want to go about this?  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Is getting me started on 19th Germans really the way we want to go about this?
I know I would be amused.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Hey, according to Ben Franklin, some Norse cultures aren't white as it is. (More base Germanic ones, but still. I'm not going to trust Franklin to know the different between a Dane and a German. They all speak funny non-Latinate languages anyways. Kind of like Ben Franklin, come to think of it.)

my english instructor's name is ben franklin. ninja  

whiporwill-o

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:55 pm
whiporwill-o
Celeblin Galadeneryn

my english instructor's name is ben franklin. ninja
He is surely an evil man.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas