Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Shamanism? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm
Well. A while back I read a book on Shamanism, and it seemed to really suit my path.
Except, I don't want to read ONE book then decide that is what I want to do, so I have been trying to find other readings. Books, websites, non-fluffy stuff to determine if the book I read was right. xD
I've been looking around here hoping I could find some links, and I haven't found any. Would any one happen to have any?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 pm
Paranormal Zombiiie
Well. A while back I read a book on Shamanism, and it seemed to really suit my path.
Cool! You're traveling to join a group of peoples amongst the Turko-Mongol cultures of Siberia?

Sweet.

Just as a point of reference, you'll find a lot of people refer to folks who practice such traditions referenced by what they practice as the title within their tradition, or you'll see folks talk about Otherworld Traditions- since Shaman is a specific title for a specific group of people.

Turko-Mongol term was Shaman.
The Norse had their Seidr.
And so on...

Quote:
Except, I don't want to read ONE book then decide that is what I want to do, so I have been trying to find other readings. Books, websites, non-fluffy stuff to determine if the book I read was right. xD
Good attitude to have.

Quote:
I've been looking around here hoping I could find some links, and I haven't found any. Would any one happen to have any?
My recommendation is for a book.

My current favorite is The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition by Walsh.
He even has a section that addresses the cultural misappropriation of the word Shaman.  

TeaDidikai

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:55 pm
I had no idea that Shamanism was Mongol.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:50 pm
ShadowCatSoul
I had no idea that Shamanism was Mongol.

Specifically, it's Turkic, which encompasses numerous groups of people speaking related languages everywhere from Turkey to Mongolia and all through Siberia. "Shamanism" as a practice I think is more common among Siberian tribes than the nations in the south (Central Asia).  

Collowrath

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am
I've geard good things from spirit workers I respect, about Raven Kaldera's books.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:37 pm
Thank you Tea and Collowrath. That's exactly why I asked, instead of reading one book and calling myself a shaman. Haha.

I'll look up that book.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 pm
I once had someone try to tell me that all magic work was shamanism, because all magic worked with spirits, regardless of whether you believed in them or not.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:09 pm
AniMajor
I once had someone try to tell me that all magic work was shamanism, because all magic worked with spirits, regardless of whether you believed in them or not.

That's definately not true. There are many types of magic work, not just shamanism.  

ShadowCatSoul

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 pm
ShadowCatSoul
AniMajor

That's definately not true. There are many types of magic work, not just shamanism.

Well, first she thought it was hilarious that someone could be so stupid to ask the question "what does shamanism have to do with magic?", because all magic comes from working with spirits. When I informed her that there are plenty of types that don't work with spirits, her response was along the lines of "spirits, gods, whatever. People think they're not working with spirits, but the spirits are there, laughing because people don't know that's where their power is coming from."

I didn't continue the conversation after that because I wasn't sure I could still be civil.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:05 pm
Merriam-Webster says that not only is "shaman" in specific reference to a specific tradition, it can also be applied to similar traditions.

Merriam-Webster
Main Entry: sha·man
Pronunciation: ˈshä-mən, ˈshā- also shə-ˈmän
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural shamans
Etymology: ultimately from Evenki (Tungusic language of Siberia) šamān
Date: 1698
1 : a priest or priestess who uses magic for the purpose of curing the sick, divining the hidden, and controlling events
2 : one who resembles a shaman; especially : high priest 3
— sha·man·ic shə-ˈma-nik, -ˈmä- adjective

Merriam-Webster
Main Entry: sha·man·ism
Pronunciation: -ˌni-zəm
Date: 1780
: a religion practiced by indigenous peoples of far northern Europe and Siberia that is characterized by belief in an unseen world of gods, demons, and ancestral spirits responsive only to the shamans; also : any similar religion
— sha·man·ist -nist noun
— sha·man·is·tic ˌshä-mə-ˈnis-tik, ˌshā-mə- adjective

Thoughts?  

aoijea23487

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:39 pm
Illiezeulette
Merriam-Webster says that not only is "shaman" in specific reference to a specific tradition, it can also be applied to similar traditions.

Merriam-Webster
1 : a priest or priestess who uses magic for the purpose of curing the sick, divining the hidden, and controlling events

Merriam-Webster
: a religion practiced by indigenous peoples of far northern Europe and Siberia that is characterized by belief in an unseen world of gods, demons, and ancestral spirits responsive only to the shamans; also : any similar religion
— sha·man·ist -nist noun

Thoughts?
Look up the Merriam Webster definition for G~. You're not going to find it saying it's offensive once on there. Then again, most people don't realise it is.

Now, onto the reason why I use the OED:

Quote:
A. n. A priest or priest-doctor among various northern peoples of Asia. Hence applied by extension to similar personages in other parts, esp. a medicine-man of some of the north-western American Indians. Occas. in wider sense: an adherent of shamanism. Also more recently, with recognition of the widespread similarity of primitive beliefs, the term denotes esp. a man or woman who is regarded as having direct access to, and influence in, the spirit world which is usu. manifested during a trance and empowers them to guide souls, cure illnesses, etc. Also fig.

Because while the OED's purpose is to give definitions of words in the current usage, it tells us why it's applied to others: simply by extension. That's really not a good enough reason to excuse using it in other cases. But then, most people don't know it's applied only by extension.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Illiezeulette

Merriam-Webster

Merriam-Webster
— sha·man·ist -nist noun

Thoughts?
Look up the Merriam Webster definition for G~. You're not going to find it saying it's offensive once on there. Then again, most people don't realise it is.

Now, onto the reason why I use the OED:

Quote:
A. n. A priest or priest-doctor among various northern peoples of Asia. Hence applied by extension to similar personages in other parts, esp. a medicine-man of some of the north-western American Indians. Occas. in wider sense: an adherent of shamanism. Also more recently, with recognition of the widespread similarity of primitive beliefs, the term denotes esp. a man or woman who is regarded as having direct access to, and influence in, the spirit world which is usu. manifested during a trance and empowers them to guide souls, cure illnesses, etc. Also fig.

Because while the OED's purpose is to give definitions of words in the current usage, it tells us why it's applied to others: simply by extension. That's really not a good enough reason to excuse using it in other cases. But then, most people don't know it's applied only by extension.

what is the world coming to when you can't rely on Merriam-Webster! gonk  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 pm
For what it is worth, people who listen to a detailed description of my tradition and reduce it down to "Oh, you're a shaman" make my teeth itch.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 pm
So there's no term that we can use to refer to a cross-cultural occurrence of similar spiritual practices by similar people in their respective cultures that may or may not be related practices?

Maybe a better question would be, are the practices of the Shamans, the Seidr, etc etc related? Can we speak about them as one group of people? When they journey do they go to similar places or are the otherworlds culturally contained?

Does anyone know if these traditions developed independently of each other? That one's probably lost to history, but is there any traceable cultural diffusion at work in the details?  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:49 pm
demisara
So there's no term that we can use to refer to a cross-cultural occurrence of similar spiritual practices by similar people in their respective cultures that may or may not be related practices?

Maybe a better question would be, are the practices of the Shamans, the Seidr, etc etc related? Can we speak about them as one group of people? When they journey do they go to similar places or are the otherworlds culturally contained?

Does anyone know if these traditions developed independently of each other? That one's probably lost to history, but is there any traceable cultural diffusion at work in the details?
Do I know if North Asian religions containing Shaman and Norse Seidhr developed independently of each other? Not definitively, but I'm going to give a yes simply because of distance and difference of ethno-linguo group. Which is to say I'm pretty sure, but I couldn't prove it without a doubt. Is there any traceable diffusion? Not particularly.

They aren't provably related. They're similar, but that doesn't mean anything. I can name quite a few similarities between European and Aztec religion, but it doesn't make them related.

The only real way we can group them together is to say they have an otherworld tradition. Why we have to call all people of otherworld traditions Shaman is beyond me. Why aren't we using the world Volva instead?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff