Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
So... thoughts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm
Okay guys, a little backstory. Last semester, I had a French Phonetics class. Don't get me wrong, I love French, but with so much concentration on how to pronounce this extremely nasal language, I have begun to realize how much it bothers me. Thus, I have resolved to make a conlang without any nasal consonants or vowels. My only concern was that when speaking English, if I manoeuvre around nasals, I sound like I have a cold. I am curious: would a conlang without nasal vowels make everybody speaking it sound sick, or would it sound natural and English just gives off the sick vibe because of my stigma of runny noses and the expectations of nasal consonants in certain words? This is all, please tell me your thoughts. Thank you biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 pm
Haha, well, I have a tendency to denasalize when I'm sick, but if you just don't include nasal sounds, then I'm sure to a native speaker of such a conlang it would sound completely normal. Just like you don't notice which sounds are nasal until someone with a cold has to denasalize. whee Although, maybe I'm just not observant of such things. But hey, go for it. =)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm
It's just the French that brought it to my attention. And my cousin and I had an idea to make only one word in the language with a nasal consonant. It would be in word like "sick" so that if they were sick, they wouldn't be able to say it, and have a corresponding non-nasal consonant sound replacing the nasal one in the word making a completely random adjective xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm
Haha that's awesome. Go do it! xD  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

The Constructed Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out