Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Clarification on Wicca Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm
What is eclectic Wicca? Is this possible? Do Wiccans worship other gods besides the Lord and Lady of the isles?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 pm
Bastemhet
What is eclectic Wicca? Is this possible?
Something made up and doesn't exist. In fact it's a contradiction since Wicca is an orthopraxy.

Quote:
Do Wiccans worship other gods besides the Lord and Lady of the isles?
They are not prohibited from worshiping other Gods.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm
Better name for it is eclectic neo-pagan. Wiccans do worship the Lord and Lady of the Isles. But those who get fed misinformation tend to take the name Wicca because it sounds cool, and use it for their eclectic neo-pagan practices.

I'm pretty sure that's right, although I'm sure someone else may come along and touch it up or make it more concise.

Edit: Or beat me to it. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:25 pm
rmcdra
Bastemhet
What is eclectic Wicca? Is this possible?
Something made up and doesn't exist. In fact it's a contradiction since Wicca is an orthopraxy.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Do Wiccans worship other gods besides the Lord and Lady of the isles?
They are not prohibited from worshiping other Gods.

Is it valid to worship other gods in a Wiccan ritual context?  

Bastemhet

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 pm
Bastemhet

I don't know how to answer this. I would say no because there's compatibility issues that must be addressed and even they you are forcing a god into a role/context that is not designed for them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:03 pm
I, personally, am not Wiccan nor do I know any real true Wiccans. That I know of, so my knowledge on the subject is limited. However, Wica is only Gardnerian and to some extent I believe Alexandrian. Anything else is not Wiccan. Also, I don't believe there are restrictions on who you can or can't worship. I could, however, be wrong on that last part.  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 am
Bastemhet

According to the Alexandrians and Gards I know personally, no. How much that is a function of personal opinion verses Orthopraxy is up in the air.

ShadowCatSoul
However, Wica is only Gardnerian and to some extent I believe Alexandrian. Anything else is not Wiccan.
And then there is Kingstone, Central Vally Wica and other lineaged traditions.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

According to the Alexandrians and Gards I know personally, no. How much that is a function of personal opinion verses Orthopraxy is up in the air.

ShadowCatSoul
However, Wica is only Gardnerian and to some extent I believe Alexandrian. Anything else is not Wiccan.

My bad, Tea. I was always taught that those two were the only real Wica traditions.  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 am
ShadowCatSoul

My bad, Tea. I was always taught that those two were the only real Wica traditions.
No worries. They are by far the most common. But any lineaged tradition that maintains the orthopraxy can easily be considered of the Wica.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

It may depend as well on if one is soft poly or hard poly.

Quote:
ShadowCatSoul

Wiccan traditions are Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Central Valley, Mohesian, Majestic, Kingstone, Silver Crescent, Daoine Coire, and some lines of Blue Star, Georgian and Protean. (there are probably a few more out there, but those are the major ones I think)

Basically it is any Trad that can trace lineage to Gerald Gardner (or as A&J defines it... "Wicca" refers specifically to the lineaged, initiatory mystery religion with roots in the New Forest region of Great Britain, manifested today through various "traditions" all linked with a common ancestry back to the New Forest area. "Wiccans" or "The Wica" are the properly lineaged, properly initiated members of those Traditions.)  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 am
too2sweet

If they change the deities, isn't that well, breaking the orthopraxy?

Gardner talked about other groups who worship other deities, excluding them from the Wica.

Quote:

Wiccan traditions are Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Central Valley, Mohesian, Majestic, Kingstone, Silver Crescent, Daoine Coire, and some lines of Blue Star, Georgian and Protean. (there are probably a few more out there, but those are the major ones I think)
Blue Star and Protean are often said to have violated the orthopraxy.

Georgian doesn't claim to have the bare minimal requirements.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:27 am
TeaDidikai
too2sweet

Gardner talked about other groups who worship other deities, excluding them from the Wica.

Quote:

So am I to understand that worshipping/following any deities other than the Lord and Lady of the Isles is frowned upon in Wica?  

ShadowCatSoul

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

One might also want to look at the Gods on the other side of the ritual. Would they be alright with being worshiped that way?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:32 am
ShadowCatSoul

So am I to understand that worshipping/following any deities other than the Lord and Lady of the Isles is frowned upon in Wica?
Outside of the cult, it's fine. But the cult is that of the Lord and Lady of the isles. So bringing someone else into their sacred place for their priests wouldn't be within the orthopraxy.

What they members of the cult do outside of the cult is likely a non-issue as long as it doesn't conflict with their oaths as members of the Wica.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:35 am
ShadowCatSoul
TeaDidikai
too2sweet

Quote:

Not in my experience. What you do with the Wica is what you do with the Wica. But if you have another tradition, what's frowned upon is just wholestock mixing traditions. Say you're of the Wica and you also have a relationship with the Hellenic Gods. You wouldn't worship the Gods of the Wica in the same way as the Hellenic Gods basically.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff