Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Finding a God or Goddess. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

into the airwaves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 am
How do you know if there's a particular God or Goddess calling to you? I've heard about the dreaming, and things happening in reality, but I want to know how you'd be able to tell what God or Goddess is calling.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 am
By testing any such experiences.
How one would test would depend on the experience.  

TeaDidikai

Shadow Queen79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:58 am
I am probably going to get chastised for saying this, but I have always thought that dreams were a big thing. Certain signs like symbols of a certain deity just keep becoming more and more apparent to you.
How anyone would test these I am not sure. I suppose if you have a certain fascination for a certain deity then learn more about him or her. Do some reading and see how it feels, you know just test the waters.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:13 am
lioness of midnight
I am probably going to get chastised for saying this, but I have always thought that dreams were a big thing. Certain signs like symbols of a certain deity just keep becoming more and more apparent to you.
The flipside is you need to be able to test this to ensure you aren't picking up on something else, to say nothing of self-generated mythos.

In cases of simple symbolism, I'd be less inclined to suggest it's a calling more than a pattern of internal processing, mostly because what is suggested as a "symbol of God X" usually involves poor justification based on homogenization.

We all know how happy Deo gets to hear Freya is a Moon Goddess and all that.  

TeaDidikai

Shadow Queen79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 am
But testing is the harb part of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 am
lioness of midnight
But testing is the harb part of it.
Of course.
It's also the important part of it.  

TeaDidikai

Shadow Queen79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 am
but we are not very good with giving how. Which is even more important because you need to know what to do to figure things out.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 am
lioness of midnight
but we are not very good with giving how.
I have some standards, but they differ based on the method of contact.

Quote:
Which is even more important because you need to know what to do to figure things out.
We simply don't have enough information though.
The post is vague, and doesn't provide any context for us to work with.

If listed the kind of experience or perhaps the deities in question, then we would have more to work with.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:29 pm
TeaDidikai
lioness of midnight
The flipside is you need to be able to test this to ensure you aren't picking up on something else, to say nothing of self-generated mythos.

In cases of simple symbolism, I'd be less inclined to suggest it's a calling more than a pattern of internal processing, mostly because what is suggested as a "symbol of God X" usually involves poor justification based on homogenization.

We all know how happy Deo gets to hear Freya is a Moon Goddess and all that.

In the Egyptian tradition, manifestation in dreams is certainly one valid way to be contacted by deity. However I think it would be important to read up on mythology of the deity and importance of symbols to be sure that what you dreamed corresponds with historical evidence. In that case I would suggest reading "Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt" and "Symbol and Magic in Egyptian Art," both by Richard H. Wilkinson.

I couldn't tell you about other traditions though, so to the OP I suggest first figuring out which god it was that you dreamed about and then do something similar to the above, except based on the tradition you're looking at. I'd also verify with the community to make sure your sources of mythology are good. I don't recommend just googling it as that can lead to inaccurate information.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm
Thanks for the information, everyone. Very helpful. (:  

into the airwaves

bobkitty1123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 am
I found mine by linking my beliefs and what I saw in dreams to a set of gods.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 am
bobkitty1123

Might you be willing to share these experiences?
I am very interested in hearing more.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

bobkitty1123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:18 pm
Brass Bell Doll
bobkitty1123

Might you be willing to share these experiences?
I am very interested in hearing more.

Well, I believed in most of the beliefs of the Celtic Path but I wasn't sure if it were right for me or if even the gods and goddesses were. But I had a series of dreams involving a maiden. It always started with it being Imbolc and I was injured. She would come and heal me each time. At first it meant nothing to me until they became more involved. I would follow this maiden while she watched over people. She would hold the hands of women giving birth and people in the home. I didn't really put together the details until I looked her up. She seemed so familiar and as I read about the other gods and goddesses who accompanied her...it all made sense and so I accepted her as my goddess and it just felt right.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:31 pm
One question I have is why do you want a single god or goddess? The concept of having a single deity one interacts is weirdly monotheistic to me, and has become more weird as I became closer to my gods.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:36 pm
into the airwaves
How do you know if there's a particular God or Goddess calling to you?

Caller ID is a good start. Worst case, *69 and see if the long distance charge is scaled to Astral-rates.

Jest aside, I determined my relationship by exploring and educating myself about many different pantheons. I had experienced a number of things in my life that left me feeling weird. Literally. In the end, most of my spirituality had been built in daily life and activities that formed a puzzle, and the deities that had called me were some of the last pieces- the holes in the middle which no one else fit correctly.

bobkitty1123, Could you describe why you call her a maiden? And is the date you speak of a lunar date or is it February 2nd?
Did you have an interest in Irish culture before you were pagan?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff