Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Invent it, just to find it already exists...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:48 pm
I keep running into walls where I discover that my Brilliant Idea (tm) has already been taken... about twenty years ago...
I've never found that issue in conlangs until now.
I present: Wikipedia article on Dhivehi writing systems... The Thaana alphabet looks remarkably similar to Litihla's alphabet.

Anyone else find themselves unintentionally using something that was already around?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 am
Forgedawn
I keep running into walls where I discover that my Brilliant Idea (tm) has already been taken... about twenty years ago...
I've never found that issue in conlangs until now.
I present: Wikipedia article on Dhivehi writing systems... The Thaana alphabet looks remarkably similar to Litihla's alphabet.

Anyone else find themselves unintentionally using something that was already around?
Вы говорите по-русский?  

Song Wei

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Shangroulu
Вы говорите по-русский?

Чут-чут wink  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:17 am
Happens to me all the time. emo  

Woglinde

The Quail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:15 pm
I had a cool idea for a modifier-clause shortcut: a declinable particle/pronoun meaning "person who does/is X" where X is the preceding relative clause in some dependent form, but remembered relative pronouns... I once also unconsciously came up with exactly the same way of forming relative clauses, even down to the spelling and pronunciation, as in the Xurnese conlang on Zompist.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:40 am
That happens to me a lot but I don't really mind it. Must mean it works, right? =)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:11 pm
Homurakitsune
That happens to me a lot but I don't really mind it. Must mean it works, right? =)
That's what I tell myself every time it happens...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm
Henneth Annun
Homurakitsune
That's what I tell myself every time it happens...
Bah, it's okay though really. I figure if I invent it then find it, well the fact that I invented it means I like the concept to begin with, it never bothers me to find it already exists. Actually it makes me happy sometimes, since then I start looking for reasons to learn whatever language it came from, haha. whee  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

DarkBlueFox

Dapper Raider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm
I invented an alphabet, only to find that it is similar to the writing in a game, and a tv show.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm
Whenever I try to make up an alphabet it always looks so stupid, so I stuck to the Latin (and Cyrillic) alphabet for my first one.  

spheal 000

5,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

asdfasdf22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 am
Hasn't happened to me but the Mayans usually steal my ideas before I come up with them scream .
Just kidding but soemtimes they have actually less now though.
though granted the ideas weren't really original per-se.

Generally though so far I haven't yet come up with many ideas of my own.
Usually I simply scower the interweblies! or my book of finite characters.

The first alphabet I came up with was like the armenian one in appearance it
didn't work out to well.
The ideas the mayans had also where in other native american languages,
for example first-person, second-person third-person articles.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 am
i don't base my alphabets on already existing alphabets so this never happens to me. occasionally, a symbol in one of my alphabets looks like the symbol in another alphabet, but it rarely represents the same sound.  

Lokaagali

The Constructed Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff