Just curious, but

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Caffeinated Tea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:21 pm
How do you all expand the vocabulary of your conlangs? :3

I myself simply translate poems and songs, and if I run across a word I don't already have I make one up (paying attention, of course, to any other words it might be linked to).  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 pm
I make basic roots, then I make a bunch of words based off of those roots. Then I'll go and translate things, and add more vocab from there.

Sometimes though, words just pop into my head, and I use those if they happen to fit. xd  

Henneth Annun

Woglinde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 pm
XWraith_LordX
I make basic roots, then I make a bunch of words based off of those roots. Then I'll go and translate things, and add more vocab from there.

Sometimes though, words just pop into my head, and I use those if they happen to fit. xd

That's what I'm doing thus far. (I'm a first-time conlanger. ) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:52 pm
Earlier on in my language creation I pretty much only came up with a word when I was writing something in it and realized that I didn't have a word for something I wanted to express in the writing. In more recent years, as I've been learning more about linguistics and grammar, I've also been developing various very useful prefixes and suffixes, and I've also been coming up with words by playing around with the word roots and affixes. I also frequently seek to label things I see or experience in my daily life with words in my conlang, and that is another way that my conlang's vocabulary expands.  

cinracwil

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:45 am
Well, I come up with some basic stuff first generally. Though, honestly it tends to change with each conlang. In Ijwe I named the grammar concepts as one of the first things. In Niora, I came up with pronouns first. It all depends. But the most fun way for me is translating songs, because I like songs. =)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 am
You've got a good method there... I can't ever bring myself to go through a wordlist. It has to feel useful.

So I find a passage and translate it. It also helps reinforce vocab you already know biggrin And a writing system, if you're using a different alphabet.

(Oh, why can't the break be longer so I can do all this stuff I want to do... I miss my conlangs sad )  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

spheal 000

5,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 pm
I think translating any form of writing is a good way to do it, it helps you work out what sound good here and what sounds good there and what doesn't sound good at all. Going through a word list can be tiresome, and while it does boost your vocabulary much faster than other methods I don't think it works quite as well.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games