Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Uber fluff alert. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:04 pm
Erishkegal

Quote:

However, contrary to one negative reviewer said, women's power does not depend solely on men's sexual attraction to them. Sexual attraction is power, yes, but it's not the sole female source. If this person is complaining that the book tries to revamp female power by turning into men, advocating that female power is derived soley from women's status as men's sex objects is surely no better.

Agreed. I was horrified by that review. If ever there was a failed understanding of female sexuality (more properly sexualities, but I digress), that was evidence. Based on the reviewer's rhetoric, I'm guessing that by "turning women into men" he means "daring to suggest that women's sexuality might be active rather than passive" or some such thing. Either that, or he's referring to the packing thing, and clearly doesn't get it.

i'm going to disclaim my post by saying i am offering up an explanation of what the review in question was trying to say (or at least my interpretation of it). needless to say, i don't claim to be a women's studies expert.

i read that review as trying to articulate that women are downplaying the power of their own sex appeal; that "turning women into men" more would mean "ignoring the inherent strength of female sex appeal." to quote the Producers, "if you've got it, flaunt it." it's not relegating women to men's objects or saying that they can't do anything else. it's simply another area in which they can exert a lot of influence, if they so choose. what's wrong with using a pretty face to, say, get free drinks or talk down a traffic ticket? unfortunately, i lack such a pretty face, so the strength of my sex appeal is limited to my boyfriend, and so my experiences in sex/sexuality/sex appeal/whatever are limited to this relationship. i know i like knowing that he finds me sexually irresistible--does that reduce me to nothing more than his sex object? certainly not. and if the review was saying that's SOLELY where women's power lies, then i missed it, and i would agree that's a damaging way to look at women.

sometimes people actually feel comfortable in stereotypical gender roles and remain in them without feeling used or cheapened. some people find them limiting and choose to transcend them to make their own identity. neither should be faulted.

i've taken a long time to type out this post, but i still feel like i'm not quite expressing my view clearly. unfortunately, i really don't know how to clarify it any more at the moment. apologies.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:50 pm
It doesn't matter what I have to say, does it? You'll twist it to your own ends anyhow.
I never said you forced me to be vicious-- I said I hate having to be vicious. I feel I have to be vicious because you have not let me express my opinions. It may be that you cannot deter my finger from clicking on "submit", but you are doing your part to erase me from this thread by ripping apart everything I have to say.

There is nothing I can say that will reach you-- you are far to irrational for that, and have proven it twice so far in this thread alone.

I do not have a delusion of persecution as far as you're concerned.... You have made it clear that you want nothing but to harm me. And that is precisely what you have done.

Very well, b***h. You've won. I withdraw myself from this guild due to your prejudice and malcontent. You are completely intolerant to allowing me my point of view. And I despise you for it. And because I cannot stand feeling this way, I will remove myself from the situation that caused it.  

Lila Malvae

ProfessorZed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:55 pm
LilaMalvae
You're a b***h.

Only when necessary. Not that it's germane to the thread, but thanks for noticing.

That said, it'd be awfully helpful if you'd answer Nuri's question.

Edit: Aw, she changed her post. Oh well. I hate to see people dropping from the guild, because I have so much respect for its ownership, but I won't lose any sleep over this.

Does this mean I'm part of the Super Meanie Club?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 pm
I really hope that you can find it in yourself to be compassionate one day, because you certainly do not posess that quality now.  

Lila Malvae

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:18 pm
LilaMalvae
*snips more angsty crud that should've been pmed to Erishkegal instead of cluttering up the thread even more*

Yes, Erishkegal, you are a member of the Super Meanie Club. In fact, judging by all that, I'd say you are the President. Can I be your VP? cool

I can't wait to read Sexy Witch now. I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons and seeing what this book is about, as well as getting better aquainted with the sexual aspects of the Pagan fertility theme, but not in the heavy-breathing fun kinda way. wink The hubby's not really into sex and fertility for the spiritual aspects of it. More along the lines of recreational purposes. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:50 am
Erishkegal
LilaMalvae
You're a b***h.

Only when necessary. Not that it's germane to the thread, but thanks for noticing.

That said, it'd be awfully helpful if you'd answer Nuri's question.

Edit: Aw, she changed her post. Oh well. I hate to see people dropping from the guild, because I have so much respect for its ownership, but I won't lose any sleep over this.

Does this mean I'm part of the Super Meanie Club?

No, even better! You are the President of the Fascist Meanie Poo-Poo Heads Club!  

Ainsley Lo

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:12 am
Since when does Compassion = Letting People Do Whatever They Want?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 am
Just wanted to let y'all know that the book has arrived, and as soon as I have time to look at it, I'll do so.

Time is likely to be a little tight, given that I woke up this morning to a job offer: I'll now be teaching adult upgrading and jobsearch skills at a career-college-type-thingie in addition to my class at the uni.  

ProfessorZed

BookWhore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:29 am
Erishkegal
Just wanted to let y'all know that the book has arrived, and as soon as I have time to look at it, I'll do so.

Time is likely to be a little tight, given that I woke up this morning to a job offer: I'll now be teaching adult upgrading and jobsearch skills at a career-college-type-thingie in addition to my class at the uni.

I was giving some thought to reviewing myself, it's only 10 bucks at amazon though I noticed that they only have 4 left. Interesting. I guess it clicked with some people. So Erishkegal, if you don't have time let me know. I'm going into Wilkes-Barre tomorrow for last minute x-mas shopping and I always stop at Barnes & Noble. I'll pick up a copy and toss out a review. It can't take that long to read and I have the time.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:01 am
Congrats with the job offer Erishkegal smile Looking forward to seeing this book reviewed by either of you.  

Jasta

ProfessorZed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:04 am
I think multiple points of view could be really useful, actually. Since I want to get a review written up fairly quickly (I'll also be submitting it to the "witchy reads" LJ community), I'll probably put aside my reading of Performance Theory and my rereading of Triumph of the Moon in favour of getting through Sexy Witch. As long as I still allow myself time to finalize my part of this weekend's ritual, finish casting The v****a Monologues, mark my students' journals, and assemble the scene-montage my students are doing for their final project (yes, this is my to-do list for the next few days), I'll be fine.

I love my crazy life.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:14 am
Erishkegal
I think multiple points of view could be really useful, actually. Since I want to get a review written up fairly quickly (I'll also be submitting it to the "witchy reads" LJ community), I'll probably put aside my reading of Performance Theory and my rereading of Triumph of the Moon in favour of getting through Sexy Witch. As long as I still allow myself time to finalize my part of this weekend's ritual, finish casting The v****a Monologues, mark my students' journals, and assemble the scene-montage my students are doing for their final project (yes, this is my to-do list for the next few days), I'll be fine.

I love my crazy life.

Wow, yea, I just have to finish shopping. If I see it in B&N I'll pick it up. I'll post when I finish and I'll prolly post it in my guild. I am The BookWhore afterall blaugh  

BookWhore

BookWhore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:16 am
Okay so I was at B&N Friday night and I found the book. and I flipped through the book, and I had to put it back down when I ran over th section of sexy, DIY outfits involving shredding and "bedazzling" ~shudders~. I couldn't do it guys. I could not pay the 13 bucks to buy the book. I just couldn't. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have mouthed off before I actually saw it. It was just....not good.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 pm
I'll take a look at it too, maybe if I can get over this week or next and I'll give a review of my own. I'm a bit more close-minded than Erishkegal when it comes to the sexual aspects of the Craft and Paganism, but that's because apparently I'm lacking in that area of my education. xp And, apparently, I'm a prude. xp  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

ProfessorZed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:21 pm
I'd like to state for the record that I've never called Eladrin a prude. That was her boss. Besides, there's nothing wrong with being a little vanilla.

rofl

Oh, she's gonna hurt me...  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas