Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
For those that consider yourselves Witches, a quick question Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:53 pm
Ok... quick question (this is me personally asking, not anything official) for anyone who considers themselves a Witch. There is a new sub-forum in the Entertainment Discussion forum called the Supernatural Forum.

The forum description is (bold-ed by me)...

Quote:
Discuss unearthly beings, like ghosts, vampires, warewolves, witches, UFOs, paranormal, and other supernatural phenomenon.

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:15 pm
From a non-witch, with a very silly sense of humor:

Score! Now I know you guys can kill Edward for me, being as you're both fictional!

All joking aside, this is clearly an example of a bad forum description. Someone should probably send the person who wrote it a quick PM explaining their oops. Some people are legitimately unaware of witchcraft as a legitimate religious tradition. They may just need a quick friendly lesson! 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:25 pm
It doesn't bother me in the least. There is a whole mass of fiction devoted to the "witch" character as it exists in the social imagination, which has emerged over hundreds of years mulling over this idea of magic. Most cosmopolitan folks are aware that contemporary witches do not fly on broomsticks (literally, anyway) or wear pointy hats as a part of the standard uniform. I don't have a problem coexisting with the Witches of Eastwick, as long as people aren't confusing them with me.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm
What gets me is that these beings/things are considered 'unearthly.' xP  

Aino Ailill

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm
I had no idea I was a supernatural phenomenon and an unearthly being. This is interesting news.

Maybe Gaia should know that there are people who are legitimately witches.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm
Aino Ailill
What gets me is that these beings/things are considered 'unearthly.' xP

seconded.

on another note, i'm perfectly fine with people thinking i can twitch my nose to make things happen (i wish i could do that, then i'd never go to the grocery store >.>) just so long as they don't make me send out my flying monkeys whee

it doesn't bother me at all, the only thing that really bothers me about society's stereotypical witch is that s/he's a devil worshipper and then having to deal with them telling you that you're going to hell. why can't we all just get along. crying  

whiporwill-o

scarlet_moon225

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm
Apparently I'm unearthly i wonder how that works cuz the last time i checked i was totally on earth. lol it really makes me wanna just pm that person and be all like dude witches, vampires, and werewolves are on earth..... watch out. muahahaha! but im not that mean.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:51 pm
Firstly, I don't believe anything supernatural exists. Merely that we do not have the naturalistic frame of reference from which to discuss things we call supernatural.
Everything that exists has a nature.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm
I agree with CuAnnan. There are things that exist that "we" can not explain. We being the government. The people who make us believe what they want...  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm
Byaggha
Some people are legitimately unaware of witchcraft as a legitimate religious tradition.

Or a legitimate religioun-independent (for the most part) practice. ninja

@Aakosir: Which government? Mine doesn't make me believe s**t.  

Nines19

ToshiYoko

7,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:16 pm
I've toyed around with Paganism a bit, but I don't consider myself a witch. I'm agnostic which means that I'm not sure what I believe, for those of you who don't know, but the very idea of people not understanding Paganism and Witchcraft for me is tiresome and annoying. I agree that it is annoying to be called a "Devil Worshiper" when you do not even believe in the Devil. I also find it annoying that witches are depicted almost always as having a green face, pointy nose, pointy hat, black robes, flying on broom sticks, etc. I will agree that this had me confused as well. I didn't realize that there were still Pagans living today when I was in high school and it took a lot of research that I did on my own to find out otherwise. I think that it's fun to think that we can break the laws of nature, especially when it means that we would be able to make things happen like in the Harry Potter books, but I also think that is important for us to understand the difference between fantasy and reality and for us to study all world religions from a young age rather than going through all of grade school thinking that the only true religion is Christianity because that's what has been shoved down our throats for so many years. Knowledge is our friend and we should embrace her.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 am
I find it slightly insulting since not every witch is a fictional character.  

Underworld Priestess

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 am
I think at some point we need to discuss if there is a schism between fictional witches and real witches and who had the term first.

And then we get to question if vampires have the same right to be upset.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 am
TeaDidikai
And then we get to question if vampires have the same right to be upset.

Supernatural forum is overrun with vampires, it seems. I'm always tempted to rage at them a little - there's very much this idea among some of them that they are above reproach because they're really 32457230460235 years old and just trapped in this human state for whatever reason.

Then I catch myself doing a little bit of ethnocentrism, like taking all my building blocks back because they're mine and no one else gets to touch them unless I say. scream So I step back, calm down, and leave it be - essentially, I would say there is a massive disconnect between what I would consider a "real" vampire (rather, the creature/s described in Slavic mythology that are translated as vampire), and the literary device created by Western writers.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 am
Collowrath

Then I catch myself doing a little bit of ethnocentrism, like taking all my building blocks back because they're mine and no one else gets to touch them unless I say.
I know what you mean. wink

I'd be inclined to something similar myself.

Witch. Vampire. Ghost. Werewolf.

Due to popular culture- my ethnicity is often listed along side these, and I get downright pissy when that happens- mostly because it demonstrates that not only are we not considered to be "real people" by some, but it perpetuates the ability for those outside of my culture to define us. But then- the fictional G~ stemmed from outsiders making fictional pieces about us.

The Vampire, the Ghost and the Werewolf existed as myths, ones that certain subcultures are now identifying by in order to invoke or evoke the essence of the myth (or their limited understanding thereof).

Witch... I'm not so sure about. If on the one hand the term was actually coined in an era where pagans and non-pagans clashed, I would argue that they find themselves in a similar position I do.

If on the other hand the term was coined to address a myth than was then taken over by popular culture- I'd say they're in the same position that the Vampires and Werewolves are in. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff