Lith
There was one thing to be said about wandering, which Maktaba found very appealing and, ultimately, kept him from panicking on a daily basis. That was that it was very nearly impossible for someone to get lost, considering they weren’t trying to get anywhere in specific. So what if he had no idea about these lands, and the terrain looked entirely unfamiliar in an almost foreboding what?

That was half the point of exploring. To find new lands.

So, really, he wasn’t lost at all. He was succeeding in his efforts to be an intrepid explorer. Now if only he could make the second part of his silent, personal mission come true. He wanted to find lions who lived in these lands and ask them about life here. Not because he was looking to settle down, but rather he enjoyed being something of a walking encyclopedia of… any information he could get.

He had spent his life so far amassing information, and he wasn’t going to give that up for anything. Humming to himself, he looked around as he walked on, head tilted up as he examined the trees around him, rather than the path right ahead.

Remove
For Umbia she wasn't an explorer in fact it was something she had dreamt about many times and all her sisters had in fact done but yet here she was still in the same place stuck in the same pride and wondering why.

She had been dancing on the borders daily trying to decide whether she should stay or go. It was an easy decision really she wanted to go but yet she didn't. She never went. No matter how often she longed to be gone and how often she really wanted to be free she just wasn't.

"UGH!" She basically shouted at herself. What was so hard about taking the steps to leave, was it really that difficult?

Lith
Maktaba almost jumped right out of his pelt when he heard a frustrated shout nearby. Half thinking he had done something, he quickly looked down at his paws to make sure he hadn’t stepped on someone’s kill, or something. No one was around, and there was nothing in danger of being crushed under his big paws, so he relaxed a bit and, with interest, followed the source of the sound.

He saw a lioness nearby, looking like she was… well, caged in some way. He wondered what she was debating, noting her pensive expression and the obvious irritation in her body posture. Carefully he moved closer, clearing his throat.

“Good afternoon,” he called cheerily, his baritone jovial and harmless. He was not much for picking fights with strangers. More of a talker than anything else, he would much rather sit down with people and just have a conversation than try to muscle his way to what he wanted. Or, more likely, defend himself against some kind of attack.

“Are you alright?”

Remove
Umbia looked up suddenly and felt more then a little embarrassed oh please say he hadn't hear her just shout out! Though he probably did which is why he was probably here. Oh dear...

"Erm.. hi, erm... yes I am just trying to make a decision I guess." It just happened to be the decision she had been trying to make for months and months and even when she did make a decision she never stuck to it. It was impossible really.

Lith
Maktaba offered her a warm smile, his gentle green eyes flickering in amusement. Now he saw marks of embarrassment in her, which weren’t completely surprising, of course. He had come up on her during what was probably meant to be a private moment of venting. He listened to her as she spoke, canting his head to one side.

“Make a decision?” He heard himself ask before he could filter the question.

“Ah, forgive me. I’m a bit of a nosy sort, I think. I’ll properly introduce myself first, before trying to harangue you into answering my questions. Maktaba. It’s a pleasure,” he nodded his head in a chivalrous sort of half bow, looking up with his eyes before lifting his gray-streaked head again. “And you are?”

Remove
Umbia looked at him curiously. He was... interesting.

"I am Umbia and I am trying to decide whether to leave the pride to wander or to stay put." There see she could answer more then one question at a time!

"Where are you from?"

Lith
“Pride, you say?” he asked, almost missing her question to him. He cleared his throat again, this time because he found himself to be a little on the rude side, and that always disconcerted him.

“I’m, ah, not from anywhere in particular,” he said. He wasn’t one to think about his past. He had been such a wild and reckless young thing, he could almost no longer remember when he had run away, or what his original home had been like. He could not even remember the face of his mother, though he carried a few of his father’s words and ideas for him in his heart.

He padded a bit closer before sitting down and nodding at her politely.

“If it’s too intrusive, please feel free not to answer. But, ah, what pride is this? And why might you be inclined to leave it?”

Remove
Umbia listened and nodded though she wasn't really sure what to say. What can you say after all to someone who doesn't come from anywhere? At least he asked her something she could reply to.

"This is the Kusuni'Mwezi pride and I am thinking of leaving because I guess I had dreams when I was a cub that I could make happen if I left... but if I left I would leave my cubs." Though her cubs weren't really cubs anymore, in fact both her boys were adults with full manes and everything.

Lith
“Kusuni’Mwezi,” he echoed thoughtfully. He had heard of them in passing before, as he often found was the case when he wandered near pridal lands. They were matriarchal, if he could recall, and males were more for breeding than anything else. He hadn’t heard much, though, and generally only things from people who didn’t want to talk about it, or couldn’t remember when they had left. Much like him, really.

He smiled when she mentioned dreams though, nodding. He understood dreams, and wanderlust, and restlessness.

“I see. Well, I don’t know much about cubs, I’m afraid,” he had never found the time to have his own, or if he had them in the past through his ‘wild’ days, before he had become respectable, he had never met them. “But I do know that when I was a cub I left my home. I think they’re wont to do that, when they grow up. They become independent, and through that allow their parents to have some semblance of freedom from their care. Perhaps that’s a naïve way to put it. What I mean to say is, you may yet get your chance to follow those dreams.” He hummed whimsically.

Remove
Umbia listened and nodded. He was right her boys probably would leave her and they wouldn't want anything to do with her now, that was for certain!

"Yes you are probably right, maybe I will indeed one day get out..." Maybe she should leave now... her babies weren't babies anymore, they didn't need her so why didn't she go? She had no reason to stay. Oh why was this a hard decision? Why? Why? Why? It was so frustrating!

Lith
Maktaba watched her. She looked conflicted. He wasn’t trying to make her decide, one way or the other. Really, he was just talking for the sake of talking. He liked learning of others, and their lands, and he often got a bit invested in the random strangers he ran into.

“Do you love this home?” He asked obscurely. “I’ve often met lions with strong senses of pride in their homelands, who would not leave for anything. For them the choice to stay isn’t a choice: they don’t want to leave and don’t even think on it. If you are considering it, then it might be, ah, good to try and discern what is calling you away and, really, what is making you stay.”

He looked a bit apologetic, laughing, “I know that’s probably a bit easier said than done.”

Remove
Umbia looked at him curiously.

"You talk a lot..." She didn't want to be rude though may have come across as such. She was just conflicted.

"It's my home." That was all there was to it really, it was her home.

"I had my cubs here, I first fell in love here and I have no idea why I am telling a complete stranger all this." Why was she telling him all this? It made little sense to her.

Lith
Maktaba hung his head in shame at the accusation.

“I’ve been told that before, I’m afraid,” he said apologetically, “words tend to just jump out of my throat, and I’ve no ability to stop them. Forgive me, I did not mean to push you to talk to me. I am, as you said, a complete stranger. Just wandering through. Not much of an advice giver, either.”

He laughed a bit, a jovial spirit despite getting a bit flustered. He was more worried that he was being rude than accusing her of it. She was, after all, the one with a very real problem. And he was some goon daring to offer her advice on something he clearly didn’t understand. He found himself thinking he was a jerk.

“I shouldn’t have asked. I think the decision will remain a hard one, so long as you keep struggling to make it? Oh, there I go again, spouting off comments and advice. I’ll… uh… stop, then. Yes.” He nodded, moving to stand. Maybe it would be better if he left?

Remove
Umbia never use to be like this but she just seemed to lack patience now and that seemed to be with everyone.

"I am sorry maybe I should go. I need to check on my boys anyway..." Lame lame lame excuse. As if her boys would want her to still be checking up on them but hey he didn't know that did he! She was also sure that she had succeeded in making things awkward which was completely her fault, obviously.

"It was nice to meet you but yeah... erm... sorry." She really wasn't in any right mind she really wasn't and so she turned away from him. She felt guilty as she turned even though she hadn't really done anything right. Oh she really needed to make a decision and soon or she might end up going completely crazy!

Lith
Maktaba nodded, smiling. He didn’t mind. He felt like he could understand where she was coming from, not because he had any experience in it directly, but because he understood being vexed. He hoped she might be able to figure things out for herself eventually.

‘It was my pleasure, believe me. Good luck in your decision making endeavors,” it wasn’t exactly what he had meant to say, but he smiled and meant it anyway. He moved to get on his way, padding off from where they had met up because he wouldn’t want to intrude into pridal lands. He would stick around the borders for a little while, at least, to see if he could find one more lion to strike up a conversation with, and maybe learn a bit more about the lands themselves.

He waited until she had turned to go, though, thinking that the polite thing to do. He wasn’t offended in any way, and he could only hope he hadn’t offended her in the process. When she was out of sight was when he moved off, smiling thoughtfully to himself as he walked on.