20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
no
80%
 80%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 40

Macrindein Luciferous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:45 pm
I see this all the time in both christians and non christians. I see people smoking and I think to myself, "Is smoking okay?" I think that it is not okay to smoke but people do it anyway. People say it is really difficult to stop smoking but I disagree. One of my good friends is proof of that. All he did was stay away from the people that did smoke and stopped buying cigarettes. What do you think about this topic?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:31 pm
Animagamer
People say it is really difficult to stop smoking but I disagree.

You have no place making a claim like that. One example does not prove a general rule.

Smoking is addictive. It causes the brain to be physically and psychologically dependant on nicotine. While it is entirely possible to stop instantly, the dependancy is very difficult to overcome.  

Sinner

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:56 pm
Sinner
Animagamer

You have no place making a claim like that. One example does not prove a general rule.

Smoking is addictive. It causes the brain to be physically and psychologically dependant on nicotine. While it is entirely possible to stop instantly, the dependancy is very difficult to overcome.
well you both have good points but im just saying now that i smoked when i was like 12 and i quit and my bf smoke for like 3-5 yrs and we both quit. honestly tho he still gets cravings sometimes but i never really got adicted to it.I had only started cause my step sis blackmaled me into it tho.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:37 pm
I've had this pounded into my head by teachers for years. Especially last year, my health teacher brought it up every class: SMOKING IS BAD! Plain and simple. It's certainly not ok. It can give you lung cancer, that disease where you can't breath that starts with an e that I couldn't spell to save my life, and it's gross.

I mean, do you want yellow teeth and to smell like smoke all the time? My Grammy smokes, and I can hardly stand to be in the same room with her when she gets out a cigarette. Not to mention it harms others too. Second hand smoke is just as bad.

JesusFreakGurl

max2.11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 am
my dad stoped and my brother and my sister
my dad said that one day he felt like he was having a heart attack and he prayed to God that if God saved him and take that pain away he would stop smokeing
God did and my dad stoped smoking

my brother stoped "cold terkey" and he says he gets cravings now and then but the longer he stays smoke free the creavings go away faster

my sister stoped a few times and went back but shes quite for good now  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:30 am
My dad quit because my mom wouldn't marry him if he didn't. lol

Now, is smoking non-Biblical?

... actually, I can't think of any Scripture off the top of my head - except the paraphrase (I really need to find the actual verse.) "everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

I most definitely think that smoking is not beneficial. 3nodding  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

vampy dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:05 pm
Well, if we aren't suppoesed to damage the temple of our bodies, why would smoking be permisable since it is detramental to our health. Personally, I would never do it, although many of my friends do, or have in the past. It's a disgusting habit, that's for sure. And for those who date and plan to marry, think about this: do you really want to feel like you're kissing an ash tray? (Or, on the flip side, do you want to BE that ash tray?)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:34 pm
I agree with Sinner 100%. Cigarettes are usually highly addictive. A couple of examples to the contrary mean only one thing: those people were lucky. People who smoke aren't continuing to smoke for the sole purpose of disgusting you or ticking you off. They probably made the mistake of doing it once or twice and now they're hooked (yes, there's an actual, physiological addiction associated with smoking). Unless you know a specific person's story, you can't understand why they do something or why they won't stop. The best we can do is pray for them or try to (kindly) covince them to try and stop (moral support rocks). Theorizing about why people are too weak to quit is bordering on judging (Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:41).
~Gilwen  

Gilwen
Crew

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:47 pm
Yes, smoking is bad, and not only for the harm it does to your health. As it talks about in 1 Corinthians about how our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, so we should not defile our bodies in any manner.

Sinner
Animagamer

No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the place to make a claim like that.

Sinner
While it is entirely possible to stop instantly, the dependancy is very difficult to overcome.

With God, all things are possible.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the place to make a claim like that.

He said quitting smoking was easy. Unless he has done actual, extensive scientific research to that effect, he simply cannot make that claim with any hope of accuracy.

hot_wheels_turbo_racing
With God, all things are possible.

Wow, you aren't even bothering to read what other people say anymore, are you?  

Sinner

Seority

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:15 pm
i agree with what others said about not damaging your body which is God's temple.
but i also belive that its a choice ppl make. if they really see nothing wrong with smoking then i guess they can go on ahead and start smoking and the same kind of thing for ppl who dont like smoking. (this can be said about pretty much anything we have to choose)
my dad smokes and keeps saying and trying to get off it, but he never has. and when me and my lil sis were young he used to smoke by our cribs and stuff, so both me and her have 2nd hand smoke badly (i cough up flem a lot). its not fair that me and her have to suffer just because of my dads desicion, but that the kind of thing that happens when you make choices. you will affect others. ewither pos. or neg. but again its totally your choice.
i choose not to smoke not much because God says its bad, but also because i dont want my sister to smoke and because i dont want my friends to join wiht me. id feel awful if i ever did that to somebody.
i could keep talking but ill end this here.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:07 pm
Seority
i agree with what others said about not damaging your body which is God's temple.
but i also belive that its a choice ppl make. if they really see nothing wrong with smoking then i guess they can go on ahead and start smoking and the same kind of thing for ppl who dont like smoking. (this can be said about pretty much anything we have to choose)
my dad smokes and keeps saying and trying to get off it, but he never has. and when me and my lil sis were young he used to smoke by our cribs and stuff, so both me and her have 2nd hand smoke badly (i cough up flem a lot). its not fair that me and her have to suffer just because of my dads desicion, but that the kind of thing that happens when you make choices. you will affect others. ewither pos. or neg. but again its totally your choice.
i choose not to smoke not much because God says its bad, but also because i dont want my sister to smoke and because i dont want my friends to join wiht me. id feel awful if i ever did that to somebody.
i could keep talking but ill end this here.

You know, that could be taken to mean that if I found nothing wrong with killing people, I could do it.
I'm sorry to hear about how your dad's addiction has affected you guys. I'm glad though, that you have made the choice not to follow in his footsteps. smile  

vampy dave

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:28 pm
The main reason I find smoking to be a sin would be if one was addicted. I mean, you get drunk all the time and your liver gets shot to hades, and Jesus drank wine (Heck, He turned water into it). Sure, you smoke alot and your longs will get caked in tar. Yeah, long term, constant usage of cigarretes or cigars is bad for you, but, I guarentee, that a few smokes here and there won't get you sick.

Howeve, being addicted means that you have put something before God. This is idolatry and a sin.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:42 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Howeve, being addicted means that you have put something before God. This is idolatry and a sin.

I actually never thought of it that way. I think that was a very good point.  

Curium

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:01 pm
Sinner
He said quitting smoking was easy. Unless he has done actual, extensive scientific research to that effect, he simply cannot make that claim with any hope of accuracy.

I have enough backup to make that claim accurate, but if I said it, you wouldn't buy it.

Sinner
Wow, you aren't even bothering to read what other people say anymore, are you?

No, always have and always will.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces