Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
The Yeast Infection Party Sticky Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever had a yeast infection?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Krystlanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:54 pm
Ummm... No yeast infection is EVER treated with anti-biotics... they kill bacteria not fungus, yeast is treated with an anti-fungal cream, tablet or oral rince. Thrush, a common oral yeast infection in babies and chemotherapy patients is treated that way.

Yeast is passed along through sex, if you have a partner and a yeast infection you both need to be treated as he can pass it back to you and it can be a pain to get rid of if you onlytreat yourself. Thankfully it is easy treat in men, you simply have him apply some of the same cream youare using, available over the counter.

Man can carry a yeast infection without being symptomatic.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 pm
Krystlanna
Ummm... No yeast infection is EVER treated with anti-biotics... they kill bacteria not fungus, yeast is treated with an anti-fungal cream, tablet or oral rince. Thrush, a common oral yeast infection in babies and chemotherapy patients is treated that way.

My apologies. I was given a prescription by my doctor, so I guess it was an anti-fungal cream. Sorry. sad  

Nikolita
Captain

Karasuaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm
I had plenty. I think that they were sent here by the devil himself. They hurt so bad.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:19 pm
This may sound odd, but has anyone had experiences with untreated yeast infection?

I'm pretty sure I've had one for just over a week now, and it's taken me this long to figure out what the hell it must have been...but the last couple of days the symptoms have really eased off. I've still gor a bit of soreness, but only if it's aggrivated by friction (i.e. when I've tried to have sex the past two days and the friction has made me sore again) but all my other symptoms have gone.

I know that when it comes to my health, especialy in this area, it's always best to get diagnosed and treated by a proffessional to make sure nothing else is wrong...but if it has/is clearing up by itself should I really worry?  

KalimityQueenK

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:58 pm
I'd still go see a doctor and get it looked it, even if it has cleared up on its own. The doctor can give you peace of mind if everything is ok, but they can also alert you to something that might be wrong.

You might also want to keep a pack of Monistat around the house in case you get another yeast infection. Be careful of its expiry date though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:45 pm
Shoujo Kakumei J-chan
UTI. These are most commonly experienced as an intense burning sensation upon urination, needing to urinate often, and sometimes blood or mucus in the urine. These require antibiotic treatment, which ironically can cause a yeast infection!
The first two aren't showing. I'm not sure if it's blood, but it looks close enough to it, and it's not close to my period. But the stuff doesn't have a smell, really. It also doesn't always show up, only occasionally in the past while.

o-o

jibberish

5,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

jibberish

5,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:48 pm
Shoujo Kakumei J-chan
These require antibiotic treatment, which ironically can cause a yeast infection!
It's a b***h, isn't it?

BV requires antibiotics too, and guess what the result of that was. Oh what a nightmare.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm
Shoujo Kakumei J-chan
OK, so you've got a yeast infection. What do you do about it?

Well, there's a few options. One is to go to your doctor and get a prescription for a pill called Diflucan. It's a one dose pill that will knock out most yeast infections in a few days, but it can be costly if you don't have health insurance.

There are also over-the-counter fungicides, available at most drug and grocery stores, such as Monistat. These are creams applied vaginally with an applicator resembling a tampon, and are used daily anywhere from 1 to 7 days depending on the type of cream. If you opt for this route, read the directions carefully and make sure you're using your chosen brand properly, otherwise it may not help.

If you're more of a natural type of person and don't like putting drugs into your body, don't worry! You have options too, and many of them are very useful. First of all, there's yogurt. Remember those acidophilus bacteria that stop the yeast in your v****a? Those are the same bacteria found in yogurt with live cultures. Go to your grocery store and pick up PLAIN yogurt with no added sugar. No fruit flavored kinds! Then, use a tampon applicator to inject some of that stuff into your v****a. You can also apply it to your vulva externally to help with the itching and burning. Acidophilus also comes in capsule form, available in most drugstores. If you don't want to put yogurt up your vag, insert a couple of soft capsules once or twice daily to help re-balance the system down there.

Another natural remedy is garlic, which is a moderate anti-fungal agent. A popular way to use garlic is to take a clove of it (not the whole bulb), peel off all the papery outer skin, tie a bit of unwaxed, unflavored dental floss to it and just stick it up there. Leave it in overnight, and repeat with a fresh clove every night for 5-7 days, or until a day after symptoms are completely gone. If you're comfortable digging it out, skip the dental floss and just stick the clove on in. It can't get lost, so don't worry! Warning: If you're allergic to garlic, DO NOT try this method!

If garlic's not doing the trick, move up a notch. You can get something called boric acid at drug stores in powder form, as well as some size 00 empty, soft capsules from the pharmacy. Fill the capsules with the boric acid powder, and insert 2 capsules vaginally at night. Wear a pad to bed, because this can cause heavy, messy discharge. Some people experience mild to moderate burning the first few times they use this method, but it's very effective and will often cure an infection within a few days. This can also help for mild cases of bacterial vaginosis.

A popular treatment in Europe is something called tea tree oil, which is available from natural foods stores and in some drugstores. This is used by coating the top half of a non-applicator tampon in KY Jelly and applying a few drops of the oil, and then inserting into the v****a. This can burn if it comes into contact with the outer parts of the vulva, so be careful with the application.

To soothe itching, take warm baths with Aveeno oatmeal bath treatment. It's usually used for people with poison ivy rashes, or kids with chicken pox, but it's very mild and very comfortable on an itchy vulva. You can also take warm baths with several drops of tea tree oil added. A bath with a half-cup of apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide added to it can also help control the yeast.

If you treat a yeast infection with these at-home treatments, and you have no improvement after a week or two, go to a doctor. You may have a stubborn infection that will require a prescription cream. If you have no health insurance and can't afford an emergency room visit, try to seek out a Planned Parenthood or some other family planning clinic - these often operate on sliding fee scales, and will let you pay what you can afford for services.

My doctor said i had a yeast infection... i have taken two doses of diflucan over two month period... didn't work... what do you suggest? I'm actually embarrased to post this.... but yes. I also want it to clear up in the next 2-3 weeks upon seeing my boyfreind again.

[edit] PM if you can help?  

AmeNoFaya

Acid666999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 am
i had the diflucan but i forgot about my boyfriend. no wonder it keeps coming ack crying gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:36 pm
Does the yogurt thing really work,I'm tiring to detoxin my body of man made chemicals and when I get older I dont want to put them inside of my body  

Mizz.Penguin

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:55 am
Mizz.Penguin
Does the yogurt thing really work,I'm tiring to detoxin my body of man made chemicals and when I get older I dont want to put them inside of my body

The yogurt is supposed to help keep those levels of bacteria low, I think. It's helped for me personally, but you might want to check with a doctor first. If you aren't going to use yeast infection kits that you can get from a pharmacy (which I think you should reconsider, because they work really well), then talk to your doctor about some other methods you can use to try and prevent/get rid of a yeast infection.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:46 pm
Let's see if anyone reads this one anymore...

I went in for my annual poke-prod last week. Today I got a letter saying it was normal but it appears I have a yeast infection. I actually laughed.

I don't display ANY symptoms. No itching or burning. No yucky or odd discharge. No odd smells. Nothing. I called the doc and she said I could come in for another exam (another $60. sad ) or see if any symptoms develop. She said she'd never heard of an asymptomatic yeast infection and if I was sure. 100%.

So... I duno. I really don't wana go back in, but I don't want to suddenly be all yucky. The clinician also said that if it was enough to be seen during my exam, I should notice something.  

Lilacwolf

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 pm
Hmm... tough call. If you can afford it, go back, and if it turns you don't have a yeast infection, ream them out? ninja

/is mean like that sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:13 pm
This really helped! I just got my first one and I got the anti-fungi thing and I'm really nervous about telling my guy about it.
I'm glad this was here at least I know whats going on down there now.
biggrin  

howtheundeadweep

Dapper Gaian

Brenli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:26 pm
Ugh, friggin' YIs... crying I've had such cruddy luck with myself down there throughout my life. I used to get UTIs constantly. These days its YIs, usually a week before my period...

However, at the moment I'm dealing with some REALLY cruddy YI. It keeps coming and going, and usually the symptoms are only popping up at night, around the time that I'm heading to bed. Last night I was MISERABLE, but I woke up this morning just fine. Anybody know if maybe this is something other than a YI? Just wanna know some ideas before I get myself checked out at the clinic.  
Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff