Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
The Yeast Infection Party Sticky Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever had a yeast infection?
  Yes
  No
View Results

SKJC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:56 pm
Welcome to the unofficial yeast infection thread, dedicated to everyone's favorite (not!) vaginal malady.

Feel free to comment with questions or suggestions for the thread. ^_^

~

Table of Contents:

First Post: You Are Here
Second Post: What is a Yeast Infection?
Third Post: What is Probably NOT a Yeast Infection?
Fourth Post: How to Treat a Yeast Infection.
Fifth Post: How to Prevent Yeast Infections.
Sixth Post: Other Kinds of Yeast Infections
Seventh Post: Links  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:57 pm
In your v****a, there's a delicate balance. On one hand, there's the fungus candida albicans, which is a form of yeast, and then there's bacteria that keep it in check, called lactobacillus acidophilus. In a healthy v****a, they take care of each other and everyone is happy. Sometimes, the yeast gets out of control, and causes what the medical profession calls "Vulvovaginal Candidiasis" - or in plain terms, a vaginal yeast infection.

Many things can cause yeast infections. The most common cause is taking broad-spectrum antibiotics, which tends to kill off the good bacteria in the v****a and allows the yeast to grow unchecked. Other causes can include:

- Hormone fluctuations (Birth control pills, pregnancy)
- Improper diet (Too much sugar, especially in women with diabetes)
- Wearing underwear of synthetic fibers and/or not changing underwear often
- Wearing pantyhose without a cotton crotch, or other tight-fitting clothing that doesn't let the vulva "breathe"
- Use of condoms or spermicides containing nonoxynol-9
- Weakened immune system (Lyme disease and HIV can weaken the immune system and allow chronic yeast to flourish)
- Sexual intercourse, which can irritate the vaginal tissues and imbalance the PH of the v****a
- Use of bath oils, bath salts, or bubble baths which can irritate the v****a

When you suffer from a yeast infection, symptoms can vary between women. The most common symptoms are itching and burning in the vulva, an increase in discharge, and a distinctive odor that smells like bread or beer (it smells pretty much exactly like yeast). The sort of discharge can vary - for many, it's a white, cottage cheese-like substance, but some women will experience discharge that ranges from normal but heavy to a dull gray color.

The first time you suspect a yeast infection, see a doctor to make sure you're right. In the following post, I'll discuss what might NOT be a yeast infection.  

SKJC

SKJC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:58 pm
Other sorts of vaginal and vulvar infections are common as well. First of all, there's the urinary tract infection, or UTI. These are most commonly experienced as an intense burning sensation upon urination, needing to urinate often, and sometimes blood or mucus in the urine. These require antibiotic treatment, which ironically can cause a yeast infection!

There is also bacterial vaginosis, or BV. This can also cause an itchy, burning vulva, but the discharge will be different. It can be dark yellow or green, and will often have a rank, fishy odor. This is also treated with antibiotics, again able to cause a yeast infection. Wonderful, huh?

There are also various STDs that can cause an itchy, uncomfortable vulva. Trichomoniasis tends to resemble a yeast infection, but is sometimes accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, painful urination, and painful intercourse.

If you've had unprotected sex recently, and you begin to experience an itchy vulva or any other symptoms, it's best to consult a medical professional ASAP to make sure it's not something serious. UTIs, BV, and STDs can escalate into very dangerous problems if not treated promptly!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:59 pm
OK, so you've got a yeast infection. What do you do about it?

Well, there's a few options. One is to go to your doctor and get a prescription for a pill called Diflucan. It's a one dose pill that will knock out most yeast infections in a few days, but it can be costly if you don't have health insurance.

There are also over-the-counter fungicides, available at most drug and grocery stores, such as Monistat. These are creams applied vaginally with an applicator resembling a tampon, and are used daily anywhere from 1 to 7 days depending on the type of cream. If you opt for this route, read the directions carefully and make sure you're using your chosen brand properly, otherwise it may not help.

If you're more of a natural type of person and don't like putting drugs into your body, don't worry! You have options too, and many of them are very useful. First of all, there's yogurt. Remember those acidophilus bacteria that stop the yeast in your v****a? Those are the same bacteria found in yogurt with live cultures. Go to your grocery store and pick up PLAIN yogurt with no added sugar. No fruit flavored kinds! Then, use a tampon applicator to inject some of that stuff into your v****a. You can also apply it to your vulva externally to help with the itching and burning. Acidophilus also comes in capsule form, available in most drugstores. If you don't want to put yogurt up your vag, insert a couple of soft capsules once or twice daily to help re-balance the system down there.

Another natural remedy is garlic, which is a moderate anti-fungal agent. A popular way to use garlic is to take a clove of it (not the whole bulb), peel off all the papery outer skin, tie a bit of unwaxed, unflavored dental floss to it and just stick it up there. Leave it in overnight, and repeat with a fresh clove every night for 5-7 days, or until a day after symptoms are completely gone. If you're comfortable digging it out, skip the dental floss and just stick the clove on in. It can't get lost, so don't worry! Warning: If you're allergic to garlic, DO NOT try this method!

If garlic's not doing the trick, move up a notch. You can get something called boric acid at drug stores in powder form, as well as some size 00 empty, soft capsules from the pharmacy. Fill the capsules with the boric acid powder, and insert 2 capsules vaginally at night. Wear a pad to bed, because this can cause heavy, messy discharge. Some people experience mild to moderate burning the first few times they use this method, but it's very effective and will often cure an infection within a few days. This can also help for mild cases of bacterial vaginosis.

A popular treatment in Europe is something called tea tree oil, which is available from natural foods stores and in some drugstores. This is used by coating the top half of a non-applicator tampon in KY Jelly and applying a few drops of the oil, and then inserting into the v****a. This can burn if it comes into contact with the outer parts of the vulva, so be careful with the application.

To soothe itching, take warm baths with Aveeno oatmeal bath treatment. It's usually used for people with poison ivy rashes, or kids with chicken pox, but it's very mild and very comfortable on an itchy vulva. You can also take warm baths with several drops of tea tree oil added. A bath with a half-cup of apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide added to it can also help control the yeast.

If you treat a yeast infection with these at-home treatments, and you have no improvement after a week or two, go to a doctor. You may have a stubborn infection that will require a prescription cream. If you have no health insurance and can't afford an emergency room visit, try to seek out a Planned Parenthood or some other family planning clinic - these often operate on sliding fee scales, and will let you pay what you can afford for services.  

SKJC

SKJC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:00 pm
Nobody wants a yeast infection. So, how do we prevent them? Eating yogurt every day is a good idea. Not only does it have those good bacteria, but it's also got calcium that's good for your bones and teeth.

If you're given antibiotics for whatever reason, take pre-emptive action against yeast. Get some acidophilus capsules, and insert one vaginally every night until you're done with the antibiotics. You can also take them orally with meals, but I think if you want 'em in your crotch, put 'em there!

Wear all-cotton panties, and change them regularly. Stay away from tight pants, and if you wear pantyhose or stockings, make sure to get the kind with a cotton crotch.

When you go swimming, don't keep a wet bathing suit on for longer than you have to. Change out of it and dry off! A moist enviroment helps the yeast grow. Also, after you swim, shower, or bathe, dry the vulva thoroughly. Also, don't wash your vulva with harsh soaps. Your v****a is self-cleaning! Use only mild soaps and only on the outer parts of the vulva.

This one goes without saying, but wipe front to back when you go to the bathroom. Bacteria from the a**s getting into the v****a can cause infections. In the same vein, don't switch from a**l to vaginal sex without changing the condom, or washing the p***s/hand/toy thoroughly first.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:01 pm
Other Kinds of Yeast Infections?! You bet!

Men can get them too! If you have sex while you've got a yeast infection, your male partner can get it, and even give it back to you after you treat yourself! Have him do one of two things - soak his p***s in the same unflavored sugar-free yogurt you put up your v****a, or have him apply some over-the-counter creams like Monistat. After a few days of treatment it should go away. Men with genital yeast infections are generally asymptomatic - they can't tell they have one. Some guys do get redness and itching, but usually not as bad as in females.. So if you've got yeast, and you have condom-less sex, get your guy treated too!

And how about oral yeast? It's actually pretty rare but you _can_ get it. Here's a page about those, since I don't actually know much about them offhand: http://www.nutrition4health.org/NOHAnews/NNS95OralYeastInfections.htm  

SKJC

SKJC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:03 pm
EDIT: LARGER LINKS LIST COMING SOON

For now:

http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/ - Yeast Infection Homepage, from a very home-brew feminist perspective.

http://familydoctor.org/206.xml - Basic Q&A from a Doctor/Patient discussion type of standpoint.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/stds/yeast_infections.html - YI info for kids and teens.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/vaginapagina/tag/yeast-infections - The YI section of a very large women's health Livejournal community.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 am
To make this page better, you should probably proved links (for those who would like to explore the subject more) and sources (for those who whould like to see where you got some of your information from.) 3nodding .  

Yi Min

Chalda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:54 pm
My experiences:

I have had two in my life time and I hope to have no more. The first I got while on very strong anti-biotics for a kidney infection. Because the anti-biotics killed all of the good bacteria the yeast was given a chance to grow yada yada yada. Not much fun, but at least I knew why. (I havn't read through the thread yet but if it's not there you can add this as a possible cause.)

Second one was because of stupidity basically. I was messing around with my fiance and he forgot to was his hands when moving from the a**l region to the vaginal. So a finger that had be in my a**s ended up in my v****a and the bacteria were spread.

So those are things to avoid. You can't do much about the anti-biotics but make sure you was up when moving from the back to the front.

Edit: Ok I've read it and saw that yes you mentioned the anit-biotics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:52 pm
Yeasts are a type of fungus.

I have a passion for fungi. xd  

zofqu

SKJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:45 pm
Yi Min
To make this page better, you should probably proved links (for those who would like to explore the subject more) and sources (for those who whould like to see where you got some of your information from.) 3nodding .

Offhand, I don't know of any links.. I've learned most of this over the past few years, primarily from the LJ community vaginapagina, which BTW is an awesome place to ask women's health questions.

If I had been using sources to write this, believe me, I'd have cited them. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:09 am
*Stickes*  

Nikolita
Captain

Yi Min

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:38 pm
Shoujo Kakumei J-chan
Yi Min

Offhand, I don't know of any links.. I've learned most of this over the past few years, primarily from the LJ community vaginapagina, which BTW is an awesome place to ask women's health questions.

If I had been using sources to write this, believe me, I'd have cited them. smile

That makes sense, it's just nice to have links for further information. I am weird like that. *Always looking up things*  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:56 pm
Can you get a yeast infection from having sex? D:

=Passion Obsession=

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:40 pm
Frozen Dreams of Winter
Can you get a yeast infection from having sex? D:

To my knowledge, yes yeast infections are contagious, which means they can be spread during sex. I read that somewhere, though I can't remember where exactly. sweatdrop

On another note, oral yeast infections (which are on the mouth, ie the corner of the lips) are contagious too. So be careful if you have one. They can be treated with anti-fungal creams though, I got a prescription cream for mine.  
Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff