Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wrong to celebrate both? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 am
TeaDidikai
Saint Rapist Valentine's day over Lupercalia?

Heh. Sometimes there's a bit of a conformity thing to celebrating holidays. If everyone's going around giving each other roses on the fourteenth, wouldn't you look a bit behind the times if you made a fuss about it the day after?
Yule is nice to take account of because I like the sun and winter is bloody dark over here. It's nice to know when the days start getting longer. Christmas is brilliant. Not because I worship Christ, but because it's the only time of year when I actually get to see all my extended family. Twouldn't make much sense to fly all the way to New York the day after Yule, get there and refuse to take part in the celebrations with the mass accumulation of my family now, would it? That'd be a bit, well, selfish. As well as idiotic. And nobody in my family is Christian. It's a celebration of the time of year - who cares what excuse you use for it?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:01 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Saint Rapist Valentine's day over Lupercalia?

Heh. Sometimes there's a bit of a conformity thing to celebrating holidays. If everyone's going around giving each other roses on the fourteenth, wouldn't you look a bit behind the times if you made a fuss about it the day after?
Not really. But then, I take issue with Saints that shouldn't be saints. Heh.

Mind you, this does harken back to the secular v. spiritual thing I was talking about- and while Valentine's day is largely secular (at least here), I am personally more inclined to protest a secular holiday that promotes things I take issue with over celebrating it to go with the flow. I go to parties, but I'm the bitter one in the corner ranting about the poor blind girl the guy raped.

Quote:
Yule is nice to take account of because I like the sun and winter is bloody dark over here. It's nice to know when the days start getting longer.
I agree with this within the Wiccan, Norse and Eclectic pagan paradigms, but there are many traditions that have wonderful midwinter holidays that do not involve the word Jule. What I would like to see would be some more scholarship in the neo-pagan scene that would rekindle traditions suited to each path rather than latch on to the pop-pagan trads.
Quote:
Christmas is brilliant. Not because I worship Christ, but because it's the only time of year when I actually get to see all my extended family. Twouldn't make much sense to fly all the way to New York the day after Yule, get there and refuse to take part in the celebrations with the mass accumulation of my family now, would it?
Agreed. But then, I don't see anything to protest in the birth of Yeshua.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces