Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Puberty Subforum
amphetamines affect size?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

npladybug99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm
okay so im 13 im 4"11 i weigh 75 pounds and i take amphetamines. my chest is so flat that they dont make a bra size for me. sooo... does amphetamines affect your weight, height, and breast size. oh ya if this helps i take the medicine clonidine, przac, and aderall  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 pm
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine

Along with methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, etc.), amphetamine is one of the standard treatments for ADHD. Beneficial effects for ADHD can include improved impulse control, improved concentration, decreased sensory overstimulation, decreased irritability and decreased anxiety. These effects on productivity can be dramatic in both young children and adults. The ADHD medication Adderall is composed of four different amphetamine salts, and Adderall XR is a timed-release formulation of these same salt forms.

Quote:
When used within the recommended doses, side-effects like loss of appetite tend to decrease over time. However, amphetamines last longer in the body than methylphenidate and tend to have stronger side-effects on appetite and sleep.

Amphetamines are also a standard treatment for narcolepsy, as well as other sleeping disorders. If used within therapeutic limits, amphetamines are generally effective over long periods of time without producing addiction or physical dependence.

Amphetamines are sometimes used to augment anti-depressant therapy in treatment-resistant depression.

Medical use for weight loss is still approved in some countries, but is regarded as obsolete and dangerous in others.

Quote:
Physical effects of amphetamine can include reduced appetite, increased/distorted sensations, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, erectile dysfunction, headache, tachycardia, increased breathing rate, increased blood pressure, fever, sweating, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, impaired speech, dizziness, uncontrollable movements or shaking, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, and arrhythmia. In high doses or chronic use convulsions, dry or itchy skin, acne, pallor can occur.[33][34][35][36]

Occasionally amphetamine use in males can cause an odd and sometimes startling effect to occur in which the p***s when flaccid appears to have shrunk. The reason this occurs is because amphetamine is a potent vasoconstrictor or an agent that constricts blood vessels. The rigidness of the erection and the size of the p***s are in part affected by the amount of blood flow to the p***s. When amphetamine constricts the blood vessels enough it reduces blood flow to the p***s and then can produce a p***s that is slightly smaller and this effect is often coupled along with impotence and erectile dysfunction. Upon erection the p***s returns to normal size.[37]

Young adults who abuse amphetamines may be at greater risk of suffering a heart attack. In a study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence,[38] researchers examined data from more than 3 million people between 18 and 44 years old hospitalized from 2000 through 2003 in Texas. After controlling for cocaine abuse, alcohol abuse, tobacco use, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, lipid disorders, obesity, congenital defects, and coagulation defects, they found a relationship between a diagnosis of amphetamine abuse and heart attack.[39]

All in all I would personally talk to a doctor to get the specific answers you're looking for, if I were you. 3nodding  

Nikolita
Captain

npladybug99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 am
my parents say that i do have adhd but when i dont take my medicine i feel perfectly fine and i have a healthy appetite, but when i do take my medicine i dont eat alot and start to lose weight......and i heard the aderall can stunt your growth and development  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 pm
Not to freak you out, but that seems to be somewhat accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Quote:
Adverse effects

Stimulant medications, including Adderall and methylphenidate (Ritalin), have a high abuse potential. Due to the fact adderall has a powerful effect of increasing blood pressure, it carries the same risk of sudden death, stroke, and heart attack in patients with pre-existing heart conditions, as does methylphenidate and other stimulants used to treat ADHD, as well as the same risk of seizures in patients with a history of seizures.[1][26] Studies of long-term use of Adderall and methylphenidate in children have shown a temporary decrease in growth rate that does not affect final adult height.[27] Stimulant medications also decrease appetite in some people, leading to weight loss, and this effect is more common with Adderall than methylphenidate[27] or Strattera. Changes in vision have been reported with both Adderall and methylphenidate.

Perhaps you can show this or other information to your parents, and they with your doctor could find another medication for you to take for your ADHD, if it's deemed necessary. Would Ritalin work? Or since you said you feel fine when you're not taking your medication, maybe behaviour therapy would be more effective?

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD

Quote:
Management
Main article: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder management
Methods of treatment often involve some combination of behavior modification, medication, life-style changes and counseling. Combined medical management and behavioral treatment is the most effective ADHD management strategy, followed by medication alone, and then behavioral treatment.[108]

Behavioral interventions
Psychological therapies used to treat ADHD include psychoeducational input, behavior therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT), family therapy, school-based interventions, social skills training and parent management training.

Parent training and education have been found to have short term benefits. Family therapy has shown to be of little use in the treatment of ADHD, though it may be worth noting that parents of children with ADHD are more likely to divorce than parents of children without ADHD, particularly when their children are younger than eight years old.

Several ADHD specific support groups exist as informational sources and to help families cope with challenges associated with dealing with ADHD.

A 2009 study found that children with ADHD move around a lot because it helps them stay alert enough to complete challenging tasks. The researcher advises that when they are doing homework, one should let them fidget, stand or chew gum since it may help them cope. Unless their behavior is destructive, severely limiting their activity could be counterproductive.[35]

Pharmacological treatment
Management with medication has been shown to be the most cost-effective, followed by behavioral treatment and combined treatment.[108] Stimulant medication or non-stimulant medication may be prescribed. A 2007 drug class review found that there are no good studies of comparative effectiveness between various drugs for ADHD and that there is a lack of quality evidence on their effects on overall academic performance and social behaviors.[112] The long term effects of ADHD medications in preschool children are unknown and are not recommended for pre-school children.

Stimulant medication
Stimulants are the most commonly prescribed medications for ADHD. The most common stimulant medications are the chain subsitituted amphetamine methylphenidate (Ritalin, Metadate, Concerta), dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall), dextromethamphetamine (Desoxyn), and lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse).

Stimulants used to treat ADHD raise the extracellular concentrations of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine which causes an increase in neurotransmission. The therapeutic benefits are due to noradrenergic effects at the locus coeruleus and the prefrontal cortex and dopaminergic effects at the nucleus accumbens.

One study found that children with ADHD actually need to move more to maintain the required level of alertness while performing tasks that challenge their working memory. Performing math problems mentally and remembering multi-step directions are examples of tasks that require working memory, which involves remembering and manipulating information for a short time. These findings may also explain why stimulant medications improve the behavior of most children with ADHD. Those medications improve the physiological arousal of children with ADHD, increasing their alertness.[35] Previous studies have shown that stimulant medications temporarily improve working memory abilities.

Although "under medical supervision, stimulant medications are considered safe", the use of stimulant medications for the treatment of ADHD has generated controversy because of undesirable side effects, uncertain long term effects and social and ethical issues regarding their use and dispensation. The FDA has added black-box warnings to some ADHD medications, while the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics feel that it is prudent to carefully assess children for heart conditions before treating them with stimulant medications.

Non-stimulant medication
Atomoxetine (Strattera) is currently the only non-stimulant drug approved for the treatment of ADHD. Other medications which may be prescribed off-label include certain antidepressants such as tricyclic antidepressants, SNRIs or MAOIs.

Another non-stimulant drug that has been used to treat ADHD is the analeptic drug modafinil. There have been double-blind randomised controlled trials that have demonstrated the efficacy and tolerability of modafinil, however there are risks of serious side effects such as skin reactions and modafinil is not recommended for use in children.

Experimental treatments
Dietary supplements and specialized diets are sometimes used by people with ADHD with the intent to mitigate some or all of the symptoms. For example, Omega-3 supplementation may reduce ADHD symptoms for a subgroup of children and adolescents with ADHD "characterized by inattention and associated neurodevelopmental disorders." Although vitamin or mineral supplements (micronutrients) may help children diagnosed with particular deficiencies, there is no evidence that they are helpful for all children with ADHD. Furthermore, megadoses of vitamins, which can be toxic, must be avoided. In the United States, no dietary supplement has been approved for the treatment for ADHD by the FDA.

EEG biofeedback is a treatment strategy used for children, adolescents and adults with ADHD. The human brain emits electrical energy which is measured with electrodes on the brain. Biofeedback alerts the patient when beta waves are present. This theory believes that those with ADHD can train themselves to decrease ADHD symptoms. There is a distinct split in the scientific about the effectiveness of the treatment. A number of studies indicates that the scientific evidence has been increasing in recent years for the effectiveness of EEG biofeedback for the treatment of ADHD. According to a 2007 review, with effectiveness of the treatment was demonstrated to be equivalent to that of stimulant medication. The review noted, improvements are seen at the behavioral and neuropsychological level with the symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity showing significant decreases after treatment. There are no known side effects from EEG biofeedback therapy. There are methodological limitations and weaknesses in study designs however. In a 2005 review, Loo and Barkley stated that problems including lack of blinding such as placebo control and randomisation are significant limitations to the studies into EEG biofeedback and make definitive conclusions impossible to make. As a result more robust clinical studies have been strongly recommended. A German review in 2004 found that EEG biofeedback, also sometimes referred to as neurofeedback, is more effective than previously thought in treating attention deficiency, impulsivity and hyperactivity; short-term effects match those of stimulant treatment and a persistent normalization of EEG parameters is found which is not found after treatment with stimulants. There are no known side effects from biofeedback therapy although research into biofeedback has been limited and further research has been recommended. An American review the following year also emphasized the benefits of this method. Similar findings were reported in a study by another German team in 2004.

Aerobic fitness may improve cognitive functioning and neural organization related to executive control during pre-adolescent development, though more studies are needed in this area. One study suggests that athletic performance in boys with ADHD may increase peer acceptance when accompanied by fewer negative behaviors.

Nikolita
Captain

npladybug99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:47 pm
im just gonna stop taking it cuz my doctor just gives me the pills and doesnt even check to see how much i weigh  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm
npladybug99
im just gonna stop taking it cuz my doctor just gives me the pills and doesnt even check to see how much i weigh

That's not the best idea. surprised Quitting your medication cold turkey can have really bad side effects, like withdrawal or worse in some cases.

I really encourage you to talk to your parents at the very least and express your concerns. If they want you to still take medication, maybe you can switch to another kind that will have fewer side effects.  

Nikolita
Captain

npladybug99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:27 pm
ive tried many times about talking to my parents. my parents are divorced. my mom a nurse and my dads a doctor. my dad said that i shouldnt take it. my mom says that i should. i dont know wat to do!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 pm
npladybug99
ive tried many times about talking to my parents. my parents are divorced. my mom a nurse and my dads a doctor. my dad said that i shouldnt take it. my mom says that i should. i dont know wat to do!

I see. sad Sorry, didn't know it was that complicated.

Do you have a school counsellor or another trusted adult who could serve as a mediator?  

Nikolita
Captain

npladybug99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 am
well i can try to find one sad  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:25 pm
npladybug99
my parents say that i do have adhd but when i dont take my medicine i feel perfectly fine and i have a healthy appetite, but when i do take my medicine i dont eat alot and start to lose weight......and i heard the aderall can stunt your growth and development

I used to take ADD/ADHD medication since i was maybe 9 or very early ten and didn't know what it did/was doing to me until i guess i started to realize that something was up. I heard my doctor whisper something to my mom when i was changing medicine. I heard something like "... the only... -back... stunted growth"
I thought about it and didn't think about it, then i had really bad heart palpitations that started in sixth grade where i couldn't breath for about 30 seconds without it feeling like some one was stabbing me.
I didn't realize it was the medicine. I thought it was my deodorant. And i JUST hit puberty like... early this year (i'm 15)
I decided to get off the medicine when i was 13 because my grades still sucked and i wasn't going to keep taking something that was stunting my growth and keeping me skinny (it's hereditary in my family, -I'm 5'9-10" and i weigh 104.1.)
I got off it and i realized that i didn't need it. It's to much trouble.
So to answer you, get off of it, and don't look back. It's bad.  

Vantineutrasictical

Puberty Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff