Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Rape and the gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Well for starters, in that case it was other Gods going "this sucks," and thus, in a far better position to do that. Humans doing that were highly irregular, and usually huger dicks themselves. See Ixion and his whole "I'm gonna rape Hera" thing. Generally, the first view you mentioned is the wrong view to have.

Well, it certainly is a negative antagonistic view in general.

Quote:
There's even points where fighting the Gods is ok. You're totally not going to win, but you can make a good showing at least. Diomedes attacks Aphrodite in the Iliad, she being the only Goddess Athena allows him to attack *coughmostlybecauseshe'sontheothersidecough* (she's a rank b***h in the Iliad in general. Most of the time I like her, but she's just so ******** easy to hate there. I can see why Fiddler wanted to say she's whining about the Contest of Paris, even if we don't have any proof that she is.) He even wounds her to my knowledge, but fortunately for him she's not there to kick a**, just to get her son Aeneas off the battlefield because Diomedes I believe has just crushed his spine or shattered his ribcage or broke his hip, you know, something drastic (don't worry, he gets better.), so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed.

Ah I see. Also Ell Oh Freaking Ell at "she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed'. XD All classics majors should have your sense of humor.

Quote:
Quote:

Could you wish me luck in the Etheristic System too? sweatdrop

I'm barely on the level of an Essence and the Laws of Mutual Respect are sort of contingent on having the power (or allies with the power) to defend yourself.

Star is pretty hardcore, but Void? Yeah Void eats stars for breakfast. I was lucky when I first touched Void. I doubt I'll be lucky again, which is why I refuse to directly channel Void. And really, many of the Aspects are so alien from us that it's easy to run into the risk of offending someone and getting my face owned. In the face. Without even knowing why.

Etherism is not a comforting path...
*hugs* Being metaphysically headcrabbed isn't fun. Though I suspect being tortured on a burning wheel isn't fun either. I don't know which is worse.

And that isn't even just Aspects. Many of them are either not sentient and act like giant power sources that respond blindly to certain stimuli, so if you know not to (proverbially) "go swimming in a thunderstorm" you won't end up dead (or worse, a hollowed out metaphysically ******** husk of a spiritual reflection without a body). Many of the ones that are sentient are so absolutely uncaring about us little bugs down here that you can use their energy and not even be noticed. Provided you don't have a glaringly different affinity (******** ensues, as some Aspects seem to regard poorly matched affinities an unacceptable impurity in someone channeling them), don't do something ridiculously noticeable (******** with a sun and Star will eat your face. With fire. Nuclear fire.), or don't have a glaringly similar affinity (which if you're lucky will result in partnership and good attention and if you're unlucky will result in unpleasantly high standards for your behavior that end in pain if you ******** up), you won't even appear on their radars.

Essences, which are a bit closer to our level of spiritual evolution, can still cause a lot of harm and unpleasantness if you ******** them over, fail to barter well, try to match affinities that are not complementary or do something in general that they don't much like.

It's why, when people ask about channeling, I point out, "it's a lot like using a highly unstable nuclear reactor as a means of heating your house. Sure it works really ******** awesome, but the chances of mushroom-clouding your whole damn neighborhood are very very VERY high."

Quote:
And surprisingly, some levels of hubris are healthy. Look at Achilleus. Or don't, because I hate that ******** *Hektor fangirls*.

To a certain extent, an Etherist has to have at least some of the elements of (Greek style) hubris (unless I am misunderstanding the definition) in order to be willing to grow beyond the bounds of humanity into a level of power, wisdom and spiritual evolution that is beyond human, even beyond what we normally associate with gods. There isn't a limit to where an Etherist intends on growing and that can be seen as arrogant by some, to seek that kind of power.

Although then again, nothing in Etherism implies that one ought to be head up the a** delusional and believe that one is already at the level of an Aspect or even some of the more powerful Essences before one actually reaches that level of power, evolution and wisdom.

Not knowing which battles to pick and choose out of arrogance is a definable lack of wisdom that Etherism really frowns on. All three pillars are important. Being a powerful but delusional moron is not a good way to go and one sort of deserves Aspect delivered face pwnage if they go down that path.

Quote:
It can be. However, that doesn't mean they won't d**k with you if you they have previous obligations.

So be wary of alliance and obligations? I'll remember that.

Quote:

So to conclude my rambling, Greek hubris, as far as hubris in myth goes, is putting upon yourself the importance reserved only for the Gods, or even saying you are better than the Gods.

I'm not sure if Etherism's equal application of the Laws of Mutual Respect to all things (Aspect, human, Essence, animal, deity, etc) would be considered hubris-tastic by the Greeks (probably), but I do know that if one is an Etherist then one needs to be mindful of one's power and level of spiritual evolution. So I guess, from your description, hubris is a combination of audacity, arrogance (two of which an Etherist needs in moderation) and delusion (which an Etherist must avoid).

Seems iffy. The Greek Gods may not be so fond of my religion. sweatdrop Maybe working with their followers is out of the question after all.

This is part of why me and gods don't get along...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:29 pm
Molly Mollusca
I know. This is a subject that might upset people, probably including me. But still I feel I have to ask this question to people who know more about mythology then me.

As someone who was raped in her childhood I really don't want to give honor, or sacrifice anything to Gods that are rapist or approve of rape. Therefore I always thought the Greek pantheon was out of the question for me, since Zeus liked to rape woman and Hera punished not her husband, but the woman in question. (So the woman was twice ********.) As far as I know the Greeks had many Gods who tried to rape or succeeded in the rape.

But lately I've been thinking. I know very little about the Greeks. I only know second hand sources. So I tried Theoi.com. There it says that Zeus seduced the women, not raped. Which in my mind makes a lot of difference.

So, my questions are:
Did the Greeks have a concept of rape? If so, did how they viewed it differ then ours?
If certain Greek Gods did rape women, did these stories transfer to their Roman counterparts?
Does seducing women = raping women in the olden days?
Are there any good sources about this subject available?

Keep in mind that in Greek mythology, the term "rape" doesn't always refer to the sexual harassment aspect of it all. The word "rape" was also used to describe that they possessed their bodies, not necessarily unwillingly, in a physical or in (most) cases sexual.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of raping. Just clarifying this as well. Had to say it, I was in Greek and Roman mythology class last year and it was a subject brought up. pirate  

Seira Relur

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:11 am
Seira Relur

Keep in mind that in Greek mythology, the term "rape" doesn't always refer to the sexual harassment aspect of it all. The word "rape" was also used to describe that they possessed their bodies, not necessarily unwillingly, in a physical or in (most) cases sexual.
I'd like a citation for this.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Seira Relur

I'd especially like to see this.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Seira Relur

I'd especially like to see this.
You weren't familiar with it either eh?

Well, at least I'm not the only one.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Interjection: Celeblin, I love the way you describe these stories. I've only read some of the Iliad, but "...so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed" is awesome. xd

You might like this colorful retelling of the contendings. xd  

Bastemhet

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 pm
Sophist
TheDisreputableDog
Interjection: Celeblin, I love the way you describe these stories. I've only read some of the Iliad, but "...so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed" is awesome. xd

You might like this colorful retelling of the contendings. xd
...LOL. xd I can TOTALLY see Set saying "Dude. I love lettuce" and checking out Heru's a**.

"...ow?" xd xd xd  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:48 pm
XD

If you liked that, you might enjoy this, too..

But to get back to the rape-topic, didn't Ares butcher someone for raping his daughter? I can never remember Greek-people-names, but I think it had an 'a' in it.. 8D;  

Maze

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces