Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Does anyone follow gods considered evil? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ferine Coyote

Dangerous Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:03 am
Like the Eris of Discordianism.
Are there any other gods(desses) that were bad guys(girls) per-say in their original mythos but are now revered?
If so what do the people who still find said deities to be evil think?
(Forgive me for such a newbie question sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:22 am
yes, pretty much all the deities I work with are considered evil... *sigh* just cause something is chaotic or destructive doesn't make it evil. Then again I have never believed in the good/evil ideology. ^-^' hehe

btw love the tatt 3nodding  

Kashaku-Tatsu

Ferine Coyote

Dangerous Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:28 am
Kashaku-Tatsu
yes, pretty much all the deities I work with are considered evil... *sigh* just cause something is chaotic or destructive doesn't make it evil. Then again I have never believed in the good/evil ideology. ^-^' hehe

btw love the tatt 3nodding

-sighs with relief-
So I am not a bad guy for having Fenrisulfr as my lord.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:35 am
heh no, esp since I have Tiamat as one of my deities. wink  

Kashaku-Tatsu

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 am
Kashaku-Tatsu
Then again I have never believed in the good/evil ideology. ^-^' hehe
You realize your lack of belief does not mean it doesn't exist, yes?

Stripperish Coyote

So I am not a bad guy for having Fenrisulfr as my lord.
That completely depends on how such a relationship manifests.

Kashaku-Tatsu
heh no, esp since I have Tiamat as one of my deities. wink
I wonder what she has to say about that. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:54 am
TeaDidikai
You realize your lack of belief does not mean it doesn't exist, yes?

Never said it didn't exist, simply said I never believed in it... Just like me saying I don't believe in the judeo-christian god doesn't mean I'm saying he doesn't exist, just stating that I don't believe in him.

Quote:
I wonder what she has to say about that. stare

Why don't you ask her? And while you're at it, I'll have a talk with your deity and ask if you are a follower of him.... really do you have to continue to belittle a belief (which in it's nature isn't something scientific unless you're forcing a belief by something you read in books). I found sources to back our beliefs and yet you continued to twist things around to try to make yourself right. OK fine there is nothing but english guesses at the translations, even studying any of the proto-languages to say you know ancient sumerian is still just a linguist's best guess, every conceived notion could be wrong. I have received many blessings, even destructive blessings I didn't recognize as blessings at first, from working with her and I won't change that cause you want to question an english guess at what the linguists translate a tablet as and what I experience in rituals. OK fine sometimes I get my share licks from how I do things in ritual but I see them as a positive thing, even if it's being unable to sleep for a week and bombarded by many horrific images in my mind only to end up in the hospital from lack of sleep (ok so I did something I wasn't supposed to in a ritual, and learned my lesson and worked to make up for it). I seem to recall you using enlightenment from your deity to justify a respelling of a particular word.... where's the proof in that? why should I believe you didn't pull that out of an area the sun doesn't go? You want to treat my writings and belief with continual spite I shall start to do that same to yours. I am about done trying to play nice with these constant holier-than-thou attitude snide remarks, which usually comes with nothing more than your word and I'm supposed to accept that.  

Kashaku-Tatsu

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:14 am
I'm doing this out of respect for Tea.

Quote:
Why don't you ask her? And while you're at it, I'll have a talk with your deity and ask if you are a follower of him.... really do you have to continue to belittle a belief (which in it's nature isn't something scientific unless you're forcing a belief by something you read in books).

Maybe we will ask her what you think. Maybe she'll be furious at you for saying you don't believe in deities. Maybe she won't care. Maybe Tea's deity don't care what she says. How is she forcing a belief she found in a book? Beliefs don't come from nor are they supposed to come from books. Beliefs should come from one's experiences, from life itself. Or that's how I think.
Quote:
I found sources to back our beliefs and yet you continued to twist things around to try to make yourself right.
Really? I haven't seen these sources. Prove that Tiamat is "evil"
Quote:
OK fine there is nothing but english guesses at the translations, even studying any of the proto-languages to say you know ancient sumerian is still just a linguist's best guess, every conceived notion could be wrong. I have received many blessings, even destructive blessings I didn't recognize as blessings at first, from working with her and I won't change that cause you want to question an english guess at what the linguists translate a tablet as and what I experience in rituals.
Really? So then people shouldn't follow Greek Gods, Norse Gods, Egyptian Gods, etc because of "an English guess"?
Quote:
OK fine sometimes I get my share licks from how I do things in ritual but I see them as a positive thing, even if it's being unable to sleep for a week and bombarded by many horrific images in my mind only to end up in the hospital from lack of sleep (ok so I did something I wasn't supposed to in a ritual, and learned my lesson and worked to make up for it)
That's nice.
Quote:
I seem to recall you using enlightenment from your deity to justify a respelling of a particular word.... where's the proof in that? why should I believe you didn't pull that out of an area the sun doesn't go? You want to treat my writings and belief with continual spite I shall start to do that same to yours.
Now you're just being childish.
Quote:
I am about done trying to play nice with these constant holier-than-thou attitude snide remarks, which usually comes with nothing more than your word and I'm supposed to accept that.
She's not acting holier than thou. But complaining about it just makes you look like a child.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am
A linguists....best....guess? neutral

No.

Just... just ******** no. You want to get into language connections and philology, then we can say they're guessing. Linguists do not guess out translations like that, and even when they have to guess there's some ******** scholarship behind it all.

If linguistics was just guessing we'd have some more ideas towards Linear A than "for the most part, we don't ******** know."

You have sources? Show them. They're doing you no good out in the aether.

Stripperish, canyou explain to me why Fenrisulfr is looking for worshippers among humanity in the first place. In all fairness, I ask the same of Discordians and Eris generally.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:00 am
That was a combination of several rants that I've held in and just gotten annoyed at one too many times. You'd have to look at several of the posts to get the point of the whole mini-tirade (yes I say mini cause I've still held most of how I feel back).

-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Beliefs don't come from nor are they supposed to come from books. Beliefs should come from one's experiences, from life itself. Or that's how I think.

That was my round-about point. I've been demanded to jump through hoops and provide texts, etc for every post I've ever made. They were all shot down and called wrong cause they were an english translation. My beliefs are with my deities not books, I stated "my beliefs" many times and have stated they are my beliefs then told they are wrong cause of whatever could be found to try to prove me wrong. I fail to see how a belief will change cause someone doesn't like the fact I'm going off of english translated creation tablets, that seem to match my experiences with said deity. Idk what happened at work, but as I warned in another thread I was starting to lose patience in trying to play nice with repeated hostile replies. I was respectful, never given anything but spite so it's had it's wearing on me. Maybe she is nice to you, idk haven't been here that long. But I'm not the only one I've notice spite towards. It was amusing the first 3/4 of my shift and the last one just started to irritate a nerve.

Quote:
Really? I haven't seen these sources. Prove that Tiamat is "evil"

Aside from a National Geographic special on Eden that stated Tiamat was the serpent in Eden and the dragon in revelations, I can't think of an instance where she's stated as "evil" but most chaos deities are considered evil by the general populace I've encountered. But as I've stated before already, I don't believe in good/evil so usage of that in conjunction with any deity actually leaves a bad taste on my fingers. Again not saying it doesn't exist, just that I don't believe in it.

Quote:
So then people shouldn't follow Greek Gods, Norse Gods, Egyptian Gods, etc because of "an English guess"?

Already mentioned that whole thing was about previous beef we've had over my not being able to follow my beliefs and was mocked cause the english translation was "wrong". I don't care if someone wants to believe in a fictional character as their god, if a belief makes them happy then that should be what it's about.... not "oh your experiences are all wrong cause this book says, so change your religious beliefs" which the vibe I've picked up in many threads, not just mine.

Quote:
Now you're just being childish.

And the statement on what Tiamat would think of me worshiping her wasn't? lol That is precisely how I feel her posts to me are coming off. Not as challenges or discussions, but childish snide remarks (which in a lot of circles a snide remark and saying all sources but mine are wrong is acting holier-than-thou).  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:03 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
You have sources? Show them. They're doing you no good out in the aether.

Already shown them in another thread, yet all the translated tablet texts I provided are wrong and I've yet to be shown a counter translation that proves the few translations I've found (which all matched) are wrong. You want to continue that debate hunt the thread down.  

Kashaku-Tatsu

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:05 am
I think the major issue is that you're going off of translations of contested accuracy. It'd be like if I was going off of E.A. Wallis Budge's translations for things dealing with Kemetic paganism. He's a major player in Egyptology, but these days, his translations are rather well known as not exactly being accurate most times. Or someone going only off the King James Bible, for Christianity.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Stripperish, canyou explain to me why Fenrisulfr is looking for worshippers among humanity in the first place. In all fairness, I ask the same of Discordians and Eris generally.

Can one explain why any deities look for human followers?
The truth is most aren't.The humans are looking for teachers,allies,and someone to keep the boogieman away.I probably will never be worthy of
him or any deity as i am just a man.But I follow him anyway because I see myself in his story.  

Ferine Coyote

Dangerous Loiterer

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:10 am
Stripperish Coyote
Celeblin Galadeneryn

The truth is most aren't.The humans are looking for teachers,allies,and someone to keep the boogieman away.I probably will never be worthy of
him or any deity as i am just a man.But I follow him anyway because I see myself in his story.
First, prove most aren't.

Secondly, answer the question instead of evading.

Thirdly, I don't ******** worship my Gods to keep boogiemen away, nor because they are teachers or allies. I do it because they demand it of me.

The truth is, many pantheons demand worship. Aztec comes to mind strongly, but pretty much just about every other pantheon out there too, they just have the possibly worst consequence of not worshipping them that I can think of. However, certain members of those pantheons do not. The reason why I ask Discordians why Eris wants them to worship them is because her entire point is to play an antagonist to humanity (and sometimes even Gods). Anyone who says a Greek personification is their prime deity will get a confused from me, considering most personifications get subsumed under other deities and mostly find spots of worship in the alcoves of the temples of others. The only notable exception that comes to mind is the Roman Concordia, but again that's Roman.

Note here by antagonist I don't mean evil. To go completely biblically, sure, Ha-Satan plays an antagonist to man, but he, being YHVH's prosecuting attorney, isn't evil.

Now, as such, the reason why Tea is saying it depends on the relationship, and I'm asking why in general is because you're talking about a being who first of all is never describe as as or God, so strictly speaking, from the Norse definition he isn't a God, and is antagonistic to well... everyone. Now, being the Fame-wolf, can there be some plausability? Maybe, especially if you're trying to do something with the Skáldskaparmál (why you would though is beyond me), but last time I read the Heimskringla, Fenrisulfr doesn't care too much for humans.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:22 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Stripperish Coyote
Celeblin Galadeneryn

First, prove most aren't.

Secondly, answer the question instead of evading.

Thirdly, I don't ******** worship my Gods to keep boogiemen away, nor because they are teachers or allies. I do it because they demand it of me.

The truth is, many pantheons demand worship. Aztec comes to mind strongly, but pretty much just about every other pantheon out there too, they just have the possibly worst consequence of not worshipping them that I can think of. However, certain members of those pantheons do not. The reason why I ask Discordians why Eris wants them to worship them is because her entire point is to play an antagonist to humanity (and sometimes even Gods). Anyone who says a Greek personification is their prime deity will get a confused from me, considering most personifications get subsumed under other deities and mostly find spots of worship in the alcoves of the temples of others. The only notable exception that comes to mind is the Roman Concordia, but again that's Roman.

Note here by antagonist I don't mean evil. To go completely biblically, sure, Ha-Satan plays an antagonist to man, but he, being YHVH's prosecuting attorney, isn't evil.

Now, as such, the reason why Tea is saying it depends on the relationship, and I'm asking why in general is because you're talking about a being who first of all is never describe as as or God, so strictly speaking, from the Norse definition he isn't a God, and is antagonistic to well... everyone. Now, being the Fame-wolf, can there be some plausability? Maybe, especially if you're trying to do something with the Skáldskaparmál (why you would though is beyond me), but last time I read the Heimskringla, Fenrisulfr doesn't care too much for humans.

You have given me many things to think about.
The truth is I cannot answer.
I need more studying to do.
sweatdrop
(Edit)
The Discordians and I see something different in the deities of chaos,destruction and, mayhem.As if some things can be wrong.Or some people(creatures,Deities,your mother etc.) can change or can be looked at with a different light.Times change and deities would too.Odin isn't demanding sacrifices nowadays is he?People are following Druidism without human sacrifice even though that was a vital part of their practice.
We have changed so the gods have changed as well.
After all we did create them.  

Ferine Coyote

Dangerous Loiterer

Doc Dillamond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:10 pm
personaly i dont worship any spesific gods or goddesses. i belive in a nameless, faceless god and goddess  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff