Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Christo-Paganism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 pm
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
Nomad of Nowhere
I recall it was Tea who said that you could verify divine contact in part by making sure that the traits of the deity in question matched the traits portrayed or written down in their respective culture. Yes, this was for individuals, but does Christianity appear to pass that test?
Christendom passes the test easily if it isn't YHVH that Yeshua is an incarnation of.
I wonder myself if the name YHVH was just used by Yeshua to describe and express something that was for a lack of a better word, "higher" than YHVH. I don't know possibly an early form of Henotheism, like how Gho described in his pathways thread?

I was under the impression Jesus usually called him "Father," not by the more formal designation of YHWH. That being said, I'm hardly an Aramaic Scholar.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:18 pm
Deoridhe
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
Nomad of Nowhere
I recall it was Tea who said that you could verify divine contact in part by making sure that the traits of the deity in question matched the traits portrayed or written down in their respective culture. Yes, this was for individuals, but does Christianity appear to pass that test?
Christendom passes the test easily if it isn't YHVH that Yeshua is an incarnation of.
I wonder myself if the name YHVH was just used by Yeshua to describe and express something that was for a lack of a better word, "higher" than YHVH. I don't know possibly an early form of Henotheism, like how Gho described in his pathways thread?

I was under the impression Jesus usually called him "Father," not by the more formal designation of YHWH. That being said, I'm hardly an Aramaic Scholar.
The scriptures do not record Yeshua using the Tetragramaton.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:09 pm
A friend of mine recently told me there's a new theory concerning Jeshua. Apparently, the Greek fail at copying words properly, and somehow turned Julius Caesar into Jesus Christ.

Anyone else hear of that one?

Though, it doesn't do a whole lot to keep things mystical, I suppose..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Maze
A friend of mine recently told me there's a new theory concerning Jeshua. Apparently, the Greek fail at copying words properly, and somehow turned Julius Caesar into Jesus Christ.

This wouldn't make sense to me - in Greek, they look entirely different. Julius Caesar is Ιούλιος Καίσαρας (Ioulios Kaisaras), and Jesus Christ is Ιησούς Χριστός (Iesous Khristos). I can understand maybe misinterpreting the names, but the titles in Greek are clearly unrelated. They don't sound nearly as similar in Greek as they do in English.  

Collowrath

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:49 pm
Heard it, but it doesn't make much sense. Caesar's life was pretty well documented, and if I'm not mistaken, a member of a major roman family wouldn't have been crucified in a relatively obscure place like Palestine. Also, TeaDidikai please correct me if I get this wrong, but my understanding is that Jesus is a latinization of Joshua, which is a Greek variant of Yeshua, which is a pretty far cry from Julius. Just my two cents again..shutting up now.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:50 pm
Collowrath
Maze

This wouldn't make sense to me - in Greek, they look entirely different. Julius Caesar is Ιούλιος Καίσαρας (Ioulios Kaisaras), and Jesus Christ is Ιησούς Χριστός (Iesous Khristos). I can understand maybe misinterpreting the names, but the titles in Greek are clearly unrelated. They don't sound nearly as similar in Greek as they do in English.

I have no background in Ancient Greek, but I did find a website that appears to be affiliated with the documentary she saw it in. Francesco Carotta wrote a book and caused a bit of a stir, apparently..

If you're interested, here.  

Maze

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
Nomad of Nowhere

The scriptures do not record Yeshua using the Tetragramaton.
Yeah that's right. The only scripture coming to mind using the Tetragramaton was Saul's letters but they were always hyphenated with something. Sorry the only thing I know about Greek and Hebrew is what I read from other scholars.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 pm
River_Moonwolf
Heard it, but it doesn't make much sense. Caesar's life was pretty well documented, and if I'm not mistaken, a member of a major roman family wouldn't have been crucified in a relatively obscure place like Palestine. Also, TeaDidikai please correct me if I get this wrong, but my understanding is that Jesus is a latinization of Joshua, which is a Greek variant of Yeshua, which is a pretty far cry from Julius. Just my two cents again..shutting up now.
Iēsous is the Greek form of Yeshu or Yeshua, which is the Roman Type representation of the Hebrew or Aramaic name that was in use during the Second Temple period. Yĕhowshuwa would be the Romanization of the Hebrew name that is commonly Anglicized as Joshua- usually in addressing Moses' successor, though the roots are incredibly similar and they may have been used in their early forms interchangeably.

The Latin would have been Iesus, or some similar form- as there are vocative, accusative and other such forms.  

TeaDidikai

Adalyna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 pm
The whole concept is kinda foreign to me. I don't claim the way I was taught, is an accurate representation of the whole catholic church, but i was taught personally that BELIEVING in magic was a sin, much less practicing it. If that's inaccurate, talk to the nuns at holy innocence (i kid you not) where I went to elementary school, or St Anthony high school. At any rate, I'm not putting down anyone's path or anything, quite the contrary, just sharing what I was taught personally.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:20 am
Asahi Sara
The whole concept is kinda foreign to me. I don't claim the way I was taught, is an accurate representation of the whole catholic church, but i was taught personally that BELIEVING in magic was a sin, much less practicing it. If that's inaccurate, talk to the nuns at holy innocence (i kid you not) where I went to elementary school, or St Anthony high school. At any rate, I'm not putting down anyone's path or anything, quite the contrary, just sharing what I was taught personally.
They taught you incorrectly. The concept of magic, depending on the definition, is addressed within the Catechism to differing degrees.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces