Submit

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:23 pm
User Image
So, we all know that, in CoS, when Hermione drinks the potion with the cat hair, it messes up because it's only for human transformation. However, it does turn her into a sort of cat-human thing. So what would happen if they drank a potion with the hair (or whatever else) of a 'semi-human' being? Since she became a sort of half-cat thing, is it possible that human transformation could apply to a 'semi-human' creature? That a witch or wizard could drink a potion with the hair of a centaur to become the centaur? Or does it have to be an honest to God completely human person? Do magical creatures like centaur's have some sort of magical protection that makes it not work? Would something freaky happen with the transformation? What if it's not a half animal creature? What about vampires or goblins or trolls?

Any thoughts?
*cough* Join Dueling Club at the Haven *cough*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm
It says that the polyjuice potion is to be used on human transformation only, meaning turning yourself into another human. I think that if you would put in a hair from a normal animal like a cat, dog, or owl, then you would turn into a half human, half cat, dog, owl or whatever, like what happened to Hermione. I don't know what would if you did with a centaur because they are a magical creature. They might have protection, but because they are part human, then it is possible that you could turn into a centaur because they have human blood in them. I think that the potion is supposed to be used with creatures that have human blood, so if anyone tried with something that isn't necessarily human or part human, then something weird would happen like what happened to Hermione in CoS. That's what I think.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

gina787

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 pm
The polyjuice potion is only meant for human transformations so it wouldn't work on half human creatures or magical creatures. In the Deathly Hallows when Lupin discovers that the Order has been betrayed, he tests Harry to make sure it's really him and not an impostor. When Hagred asks why Lupin didn't test him Lupin says:

Quote:
You're half-giant. The polyjuice potion is designed for human use only.

Now, we've established that it wouldn't work properly on magical creatures or animals because it's meant for human use. Lupin explains that it wouldn't work on half breeds either (like Hagrid who is half giant) BUT it worked on Fleur who is part veela. So I think the trick is that the human side has to outweigh the other breed. Hagrid is half and half so it wouldn't work but Fleur is only part veela. Her father is completely human and her mother is only half veela so Fleur is a 1/4 veela. Her human side outweighs her veela side which is why she was able to take the polyjuice potion to turn into Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 pm
User Image
Gina: The question wasn't just would the potion work.

ScottieBears MiaKitty
Would something freaky happen with the transformation?

Since you have proven that it wouldn't work, what would happen? When you drink a polyjuice potion with non-human hair in it, the effect of the potion isn't negated just because it's not a human you're trying to become. This is, again, made obvious by Hermione's transformation. So, if the potion doesn't work properly with a semi-human creature's DNA, what would the side effects be? If someone were trying to become Hagrid, what would happen? What about a centaur?

With Hagrid, or even a full giant, I think that it would be something along the lines of some of your body getting larger. But the centaurs and other semi-animal creatures raise a fairly good question. I mean, Hermione became part cat when she drank it. So wouldn't a person drinking a potion with a centaur hair become some form of a centaur, even if not the centaur who's hair is in the potion?

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 am
Well, I think it would depend on if you plucked a centaur's hair from their head or from their body, considering they are different kinds of hairs. If you plucked a hair from their head then I think you'd probably take on their human features, whereas if you plucked one from their horse half you may get some weird reaction because it's not human. Maybe you'd turn into a centaur or grow horse hair all over, like Hermione grew cat hair all over. I do believe it'd be the same with any other half creature too.

Vampires on the other hand are interesting and are a differant case. They're technically humans, they're just undead. Could it be possible to make a polyjuice potion with a vampire's hair and have it actually work?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 pm
User Image
Thats and interesting theory on centaurs. Maybe, since Hermione didn't become the same cat she turned into, she would simply become a centaur? Or maybe she would have hooves for feet and horse hair all over her body?

And I think that with vampires, it would depend on what kind of mythology Jo based her vampires on. In some cases, then yes, they are human, but others they are completely different. I wonder if a person would become who the vampire was when they were human, or if they would become them as a vampire. In cases where the vampires are genetically altered once they are turned, it would depend on whether or not they are still basically human.

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 pm
I think for the centaur thing, it could be two different possiblities. It could be Cy's theory or it could be something different. Possibly you could get traits from the centaur such as hair color, facial features or it could be some of the horse like traits. Hmm.. I am not sure.

As for a vampire, that is interesting. Maybe you take on the human features of the vampire without actually having the features of being a vampire. That's an interesting theory and I wonder what JKR would say. Maybe since vamps are truly human, it might not work...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm
You wouldn't turn into a full centaur by using their hair the same way that you wouldn't become a full werewolf, giant, or veela by using their hair. It would be a few unpredictable characteristics, like the ones Hermione got with the cat.

Also, the traits that people get when they consume the potion would be different based on the animal's hair and the human drinker. When Hermione drank the essence of Bulstrode's cat she developed a furry face, but if Harry drank essence of Crookshanks he might get paws.

It's risky, and not something that I would try...even if the possibility of getting wings from drinking the hair/feather of an owl or hippogryff would be cool.

I acknowledge that these things are merely my opinion, and I cannot know if I am right or wrong unless JKR decides to go into the potion in more detail.

Good job on an interesting thread, Mia! Everyone that posted in it gets 5 points!

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces