Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Help Me! Hellenic workshop Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:46 pm
So, it looks like I need to start prepping a workshop for Hellenic Polytheism for sometime in November. I'm in my own gathering stages right now for material and structure, and I want to throw this out to the various people on my friends list:

What information is the most important to get out there about Hellenic Polytheism? If you were taking a workshop on HP, what would you want the facilitator to cover?

For anyone that's done presentations, classes on Hellenic Paganism, what did you cover? What format works well? Activities?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:02 pm
maenad nuri

For anyone that's done presentations, classes on Hellenic Paganism, what did you cover? What format works well? Activities?
I didn't so much do one on HP, but my experience says that visual aids (like hand outs) and hands on activities work best.

When I did my Spirituali-tea workshop, I let people taste the tea.

Perhaps you could extend an offer after a discussion to join you in some kind of basic votive offering?  

TeaDidikai

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:53 pm
I'd like to know about things like the gods, not just the basic internet descriptions, because I think it's important to know the the Hellenic gods aren't just quaint little descriptions.

Also, I agree with Tea's idea about having things you can touch or do.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:29 pm
I agree with Tea as well, being able to interact with something always helps keep up interest.

Personally, I'd like to know core beliefs, holidays, practices, and rituals. Perhaps some mythology and lore as well for those not versed in it.  

Lance Kibagari

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:43 pm
How about outlining some of the differences between people's conception from Deity Laundry lists and the historical understandings?

The differences in calenders?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm
darker shades of mythology - this would probably go well with Deity Laundry list vs. historical understandings Tea suggested.

public religion vs. private religion, historically. as well, country religion vs. city religion.

core ingredients of a ritual.

guided meditation - one ritual, we had a Hellene put names of deities on wooden disks, we each drew one and were able to keep the disks. you might use that as part of a guided meditation to have those "meet" that deity.

would you be willing to post what you eventually come up with?  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22 pm
I've got a short list of topics that I want to touch on so far (I can develop activities later)

* Ritual format, and traditional prayer format
*Reconstruction and other other methodologies
* The Gods, a short introductions
-> Noting on the preponderance of Hard Polytheism
*Festivals, Calendars and you!
->Notes on adapting in place
*Discourse on patrons, magic and other touchy subjects.
*Important concepts
-> Kharis
->miasma
->piety
-> Orthopraxy vs Orthodoxy
->Mystery Relions (or why Nuri gets cranky)
*Role of Mythology
*Popular Resources (obviousy, a handout)

This is only a start, anyone have anything pressing that you'd want to know as someone who has no idea what a Hellenic even is?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 pm
Maxims and Daily Life

Might touch on Oracles in Patrons, Magic and Other Touchy Subjects.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:54 pm
Titans v. Gods
Other Mythological Creatures v. Gods

And if you really love me, you'll include a note or two about Heron of Alexandria.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:55 pm
A bit of an overview on understanding the differences between Greek and Roman culture and why it isn't always a "Select, cut replace with Roman name here" situation when it comes to the two pantheons.

Might want to talk about the differences between State Cults and Household worship.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:05 pm
You guys totally rock, these are great ideas.

I need to see how long of a time frame the meetup group is giving me. I'm aiming for an hour.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:26 pm
~buffs nails on shirt~  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 pm
This is parallel, but the Incan Shaman (I don't know the inter-Incan name, he uses shaman likely for newage advertising reasons) I sometimes attend the lectures of actually opens up a sacred space with his Mesa and calls in the relevant spirits. I've found it does more for introducing people to "this is not generic neopaganism" than an hour of lecture can because it's interactive but clearly NOT generic, European-based neopaganism or Christian based newage.

I don't know if Hellenic paganism has that yet, but if I were to do an Asatru ceremony, I'd be likely to hallow and hold the space with people present so they can see this ain't your momma's paganism.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Hubris.

What it is. What it does. What's an ok level to possess of it.

With the Roman connection, why the Romans being former animists makes their religion different, and why Hellenisation took place in the first place.

And for some other syncretic fun, Orientalising, and how it affected Greek religion.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:25 pm
Deoridhe
I'd be likely to hallow and hold the space with people present so they can see this ain't your momma's paganism.
Nothin's my Mama's paganism! burning_eyes  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces