Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gee Bag Face
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:18 pm
PAnZuRiEL
Jo~Jo
OMG! I just noticed something, Panzuriel, on the previous pages, you used examples that have CH at the end of the word, we are using words with CH at the start of the word. There is a pronounciation difference when it comes to where in the word ch is.

Also, are you actually able to speak Irish or have you just been researching it online?

The problem with the language is, and even our teachers tell us this, its a difficult language to learn because it is unlike any other language (except for dead languages) that we have today.
No, it's pretty close to the rest of the Insular Celtic languages, and I'm pretty sure none of them are quite dead yet.

I've just been researching Irish as a hobby, I don't actually speak it.

And yeah, Irish distinguishes between "broad" and "narrow" sounds (the proper linguistic terms are "velarised" and "palatalised" ), and almost every letter has both versions. The actual realisation is related to vowel proximity. Broad ch is in the back of the oral cavity, but narrow ch is near the front (like I said, the "h" of "huge" and "human" ).

And when I bring out terms like "velum" and "glottis", just find an anatomical diagram for reference. dramallama

ur kinda ruinin it for people who want to learn. we're teaching it the irish way,. the way we're tought bu irish fluent speakers.... just because u read something on the net doesnt mean its true....

u cant think u know everything about pronouncing things because u read it. You'd have to hear it.... which we do...........EVERY DAY...
so u either agree or dissagree . no need to write an essay on everything.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:36 pm
Miss_Chicken_Royale
PAnZuRiEL
Jo~Jo
OMG! I just noticed something, Panzuriel, on the previous pages, you used examples that have CH at the end of the word, we are using words with CH at the start of the word. There is a pronounciation difference when it comes to where in the word ch is.

Also, are you actually able to speak Irish or have you just been researching it online?

The problem with the language is, and even our teachers tell us this, its a difficult language to learn because it is unlike any other language (except for dead languages) that we have today.
No, it's pretty close to the rest of the Insular Celtic languages, and I'm pretty sure none of them are quite dead yet.

I've just been researching Irish as a hobby, I don't actually speak it.

And yeah, Irish distinguishes between "broad" and "narrow" sounds (the proper linguistic terms are "velarised" and "palatalised" ), and almost every letter has both versions. The actual realisation is related to vowel proximity. Broad ch is in the back of the oral cavity, but narrow ch is near the front (like I said, the "h" of "huge" and "human" ).

And when I bring out terms like "velum" and "glottis", just find an anatomical diagram for reference. dramallama

ur kinda ruinin it for people who want to learn. we're teaching it the irish way,. the way we're tought bu irish fluent speakers.... just because u read something on the net doesnt mean its true....

u cant think u know everything about pronouncing things because u read it. You'd have to hear it.... which we do...........EVERY DAY...

3nodding

I've just been reading this whole conversation and she is so right. Honestly, why would you argue with people who have been learning it in school because of something you read on the net? Just all seems a little silly to me!

Also, realistically how much does it matter how much you pronounce it? Everyone who's here to learn isn't about to be trying to pass any exams on it.. And if you were planning on talking to someone in Irish either way you pronounce is it's going to be the same word, not a completely different one. If they understand Irish they will understand you.  

[taste.me]
Crew

PAnZuRiEL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:51 pm
Miss_Chicken_Royale

Actually, I can (not everything, but almost). That's exactly what phonetics is for. Don't insult my intelligence by assuming that my sources are inaccurate. All you've done to contradict me is keep on insisting that "it's a k", which Jo~Jo has already discredited. Seems to me that most of you kids being forced to learn the language in school are pretty lazy about pronouncing it, which doesn't at all surprise me; it wouldn't be too different from any other second-language class.

[taste.me]
3nodding

I've just been reading this whole conversation and she is so right. Honestly, why would you argue with people who have been learning it in school because of something you read on the net? Just all seems a little silly to me!

Also, realistically how much does it matter how much you pronounce it? Everyone who's here to learn isn't about to be trying to pass any exams on it.. And if you were planning on talking to someone in Irish either way you pronounce is it's going to be the same word, not a completely different one. If they understand Irish they will understand you.
Pronunciation does matter, and if you ham it up too much, they won't understand. Have you ever had trouble understanding someone speaking English with a heavy foreign accent? I'd really rather avoid those problems, and I'd hope that so would everyone serious about learning a new language.

But I'm not looking to get anyone riled at me, so I'll tone it down from now on and try to cut out the linguistics terminology. Unless someone asks me for it. >.>

In any case, I've said all I wanted to say on the matter, and I'll bow out from further argument in this thread.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:37 pm
PAnZuRiEL
Miss_Chicken_Royale

Actually, I can (not everything, but almost). That's exactly what phonetics is for. Don't insult my intelligence by assuming that my sources are inaccurate. All you've done to contradict me is keep on insisting that "it's a k", which Jo~Jo has already discredited. Seems to me that most of you kids being forced to learn the language in school are pretty lazy about pronouncing it, which doesn't at all surprise me; it wouldn't be too different from any other second-language class.

[taste.me]
3nodding

Pronunciation does matter, and if you ham it up too much, they won't understand. Have you ever had trouble understanding someone speaking English with a heavy foreign accent? I'd really rather avoid those problems, and I'd hope that so would everyone serious about learning a new language.

But I'm not looking to get anyone riled at me, so I'll tone it down from now on and try to cut out the linguistics terminology. Unless someone asks me for it. >.>

In any case, I've said all I wanted to say on the matter, and I'll bow out from further argument in this thread.

Regardless of the accent the meaning is still there, you can still understand them. On top of the fact that Irish is a dead language and you won't find many people looking to have a conversation as Gaeilge!

They said to pronounce is as a k because it was the easiest way to describe it, and as nobody here i assume is planning on using these recourses to get a career speaking Irish i don't see what difference it makes. Use whatever pronounciation you would prefer but if you spoke to any Gealgóir they will indeed understand if you use a 'k'.

Personally when i speak it's not quite as hard as a 'k' but i think its the most basic way to describe it!  

[taste.me]
Crew

Gee Bag Face
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm
PAnZuRiEL
Miss_Chicken_Royale

[taste.me]
3nodding

Taaaaa matoe tamtoe.... paaaaatatoe patatoe.... ya no what i mean.????  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06 am
Basic Irish Questions

Firstly I am wondering for illness it is used as on you?
Example
Ta slaghdan orm.
(I have a cold. )

Next for having it is used as with?
Example
Ta riabhach agam
( I have a cat )  

Madame de Sousa

[taste.me]
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm
Madame de Sousa
Basic Irish Questions

Firstly I am wondering for illness it is used as on you?
Example
Ta slaghdan orm.
(I have a cold. )

Next for having it is used as with?
Example
Ta riabhach agam
( I have a cat )

Yup that's perfect!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:26 am
someone should tell her about the words that look like this "M'anam" thats an eaxample. those kind of words always confuse me  

Kissable Rainbows

5,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aairtiers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 pm
Pronunciation is the thing I have the most trouble with sweatdrop
Damn my american accent!

So this thread helps some, but when I'm read sentences I pronounce the words as they look, which is wrong, and isn't helping me learn the right way. It's kind of frustrating. Any tips?  
Learn to speak as Gaeilge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff