Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was Jesus a Jew?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:50 am
The don't believe he's the Messiah because he died before he fulfilled their prophecy. However, he was a Jew. So were the apostles. Which is why the first 5 books of the OT are from the Torah.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:12 am
Well, the first five books from the Bible aren't from the Torah... they are the Torah. And it goes beyond that; the entire Old Testament is nothing more nor less than the entire Hebrew Bible. All texts accepted as sacred by Jews are also accepted as sacred by Christians. (And of course, the Christians also accept the writings contained in the New Testament as sacred in addition to them.)

It's possible for Jesus to believe in himself, because he followed the Hebrew Scriptures, which contain prophecies about the coming Messiah; and since he was that Messiah, his and his followers' belief in him fits just fine with the Hebrew Scriptures.

Jesus and the Apostles were ethnically and culturally Jewish; and really Christianity did not set itself up to be a new religion, but simply a fulfillment of everything in the Hebrew Scriptures. Because some of the Jews accepted Christ, and other Jews rejected him and decided to try to continue their religion without him, Christianity and Judaism became seperate religions.

So by today's definition of what the Jewish religion is, no, Jesus was not a Jew. It depends on how you look at it. He was a follower of the Hebrew Scriptures (as are all Christians), and he was ethnically and culturally Jewish; but his beliefs were not like what the Jews of today are. Their religion changed quite a bit shortly after Christianity arose.  

Crimson Raccoon

No place like 127 0 0 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 am
-xXLady RaiXx-
The don't believe he's the Messiah because he died before he fulfilled their prophecy. However, he was a Jew. So were the apostles. Which is why the first 5 books of the OT are from the Torah.

what was their prophecy?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:35 am
No place like 127 0 0 1
-xXLady RaiXx-

what was their prophecy?
wikipedia
Jews believe that the Messiah will fulfill the messianic prophecies of the Prophets Isaiah and Ezekiel.[12][13][14][15] According to Isaiah, the Messiah will be a paternal descendant of King David[16] via King Solomon.[17] He is expected to return the Jews to their homeland and rebuild the Temple, reign as King, and usher in an era of peace[18] and understanding where "the knowledge of God" fills the earth,[19] leading the nations to "end up recognizing the wrongs they did Israel".[20] Ezekiel states the Messiah will redeem the Jews.[21]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_of_Jesus#Judaism.27s_view_of_the_Messiah  

Neferet -House of Night-

ferret658

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:38 pm
Jesus was Jew. He was raised as a Jew, and He was a Jew genetically. He spoke with the Pharisees and He knew the Old Testament well. He quoted scripture to them when they accused Him of things.

Just because Jesus was a Jew and also the the Messiah, that doesn't make it a paradox.

There are two types of Jews - Hassidic and Messaionic - Hassidic Jews are the type of Jews like in the Old Testament. Messaionic Jews are Jews that still follow the Torah, but also believe that Jesus was and Is the Messiah.

Meaning Jesus' apostles were Messaionic Jews. Why does this have to be an issue....? question  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm
Jesus couldn't have been Jewish because he was white with long straight hair.
Show me a Jew with straight hair.  

Xahmen

Karumei

Clean Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Please stop being so deliberately ignorant Zahwomen, your responses are uninformed and rude.

I strongly advise you to do some research on the subjects you wish to speak on before you continue to attempt to answer anymore questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:15 pm
Zahwomen

my mothers pastor...

describe a roman...

the paintings from the renaissance, every painter painted Christ as they thought he SHOULD look. in reality, he looked like every other israeli male of the time. you really should research, or pay better attention in your history classes...  

promised_child

ferret658

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:26 pm
Zahwomen

You posted in another thread that Jesus was black and had curly hair.

And just so wer're all clear, the only white Jesuses I have seen have been from LDS propaganda.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:08 am
diabolical_ferret658
Zahwomen

You posted in another thread that Jesus was black and had curly hair.

And just so wer're all clear, the only white Jesuses I have seen have been from LDS propaganda.

You do understand the purpous of the post you quoted right? Becuse your response does not show such understanding  

lordstar

Hot lin78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 pm
The Jewish leaders had a viewpoint of how the Messiah (Jesus) was supposed to be when He returned. They expected to be freed from Roman oppression, etc. Jesus didn't offer that. Why would the Jewish leaders believe Jesus was the Messiah when he didn't offer (and give) them freedom from the oppression they sought?

Hot lin78  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 pm
Crimson Raccoon: Christ knew exactly who He was and never stepped away from that fact. He asked His disciples who men thought that He was. When Peter answered that He was "Christ, the son of the living God," Jesus confirmed that to all of them.

I've always gotten the impression that Jesus remembered fully His relationship to God and to the Holy Spirit throughout His life. He never questioned his role.

Hot lin78  

Hot lin78

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 am
Hot lin78
Crimson Raccoon: Christ knew exactly who He was and never stepped away from that fact. He asked His disciples who men thought that He was. When Peter answered that He was "Christ, the son of the living God," Jesus confirmed that to all of them.

I've always gotten the impression that Jesus remembered fully His relationship to God and to the Holy Spirit throughout His life. He never questioned his role.

Hot lin78

Hi there. uh, why was your post addressed to me? Are you disagreeing with something I said somewhere? I never implied that Christ didn't know who he was, or that he forgot his relationship with the Father, or questioned his role. I agree with what you said here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 am
Crimson Raccoon
Hot lin78

Hot lin78

Hi there. uh, why was your post addressed to me? Are you disagreeing with something I said somewhere? I never implied that Christ didn't know who he was, or that he forgot his relationship with the Father, or questioned his role. I agree with what you said here.

I think she hitten on you dude.  

lordstar

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas