Reply The Sitting Room - - [real-life, quest threads, chatterbox, etc]
Myths and Legends

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NitefireWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 pm
I dont know if this is the right place to put this but I hope it is. I am looking for just something to talk about and one thing came to my mind. It is serten myths that come up. One is with the Jersey Devil, Big Foot, and I know there are others out there. Well I want to know...What have you seen, heard, what ever.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm
How about Nessie aka the Lochness Monster? ^^

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Having been there and actually read lot about it..i have to say i think i believe in it XD  

PiercedPixie2

NitefireWolf

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 am
PiercedPixie2
How about Nessie aka the Lochness Monster? ^^

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Having been there and actually read lot about it..i have to say i think i believe in it XD

I belive it as well.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 am
I think some of these legends exist, truly.
However, I also don't think the world is ready for that kind of discovery.

I come from a very superstitious region in Canada where fairy stories reign supreme and let me tell you, I need no convincing that some of these legends are true.I know people whose family members have disappeared in a few simply acres of woods, on a small island which you could walk around in a day, and the only way off is a ferry which they didn't get on.

After two weeks of combing the island in a grid like pattern there was no sign of him and then a few days later he showed up. He was mentally healthy before, and now, he's apparently very very loopy, if you know what I mean.

Scary, but I think a lot of these legends have something to them.

Mika Lockheart

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm
It's definitely possible that a lot of myths and legends are true. Think about it, there are usually several new species of animals found every day. And especially in the ocean. They find new species with every trip down to the deep sea.

It'd be easier to find a Lochness Monster in a lake, but in the ocean, there seriously could be something like that in the deep sea and no one would ever know about it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:56 pm
dark_angel_32189
It's definitely possible that a lot of myths and legends are true. Think about it, there are usually several new species of animals found every day. And especially in the ocean. They find new species with every trip down to the deep sea.

It'd be easier to find a Lochness Monster in a lake, but in the ocean, there seriously could be something like that in the deep sea and no one would ever know about it.

Yes, especially the dark area...the Bathypelagic Zone? And thats only 13,000 feet deep! Thats where all the....glowing creatures live x3

My favourite part of the ocean, and favourite part of the aquarium i went to!  

PiercedPixie2

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 pm
I think that's what it's called. There's the epipelagic (the first 150 meters or so), then the mesopelagic (I can't think off the top of my head how deep that goes); and then there are two or three zones, I think, in the "deep sea".

My Marine Bio teacher showed us clips from "The Blue Planet". The light shows from some of the animals are awesome! xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:37 pm
I know it sounds kind of outlandish, but perhaps not...
...Dragons?

I mean, why not? That creature is one of the most widespread throughout different cultures and transcends time. It could be that some of those bones we find aren't dinosaur...But dragon? A close cousin?

I'm not too sure. I'm just speculating, but hey...Think about it!
wink  

Chaos Blue

AmyK02

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 am
I think that there is something to the Lochness Monster- what exactly I don't know- but there is something there. And possibly something to Bigfoot- though I'm abit more skeptical of that one.

As for Mythological creatures, I tend to believe the scientific viewpoint of that. Ancient people discovering bones that were strange & they had no clue about (aka dinosaur bones) arranged them as best they could and created stories about the animal shapes created out of these bones.

Here is a link to an article and a short blurb about the Griffin from it:
Quote:

The griffin, a half-eagle, half-lion regal creature, is a mythical beast close to Mayor’s heart; it took her 15 years to figure out that the myth of the griffin was based on unearthed protoceratops bones.

The protoceratops was a four-legged, beaked dinosaur with a bony, crowned skull. That bony tiara was very thin and eroded away, leaving what looked like a wing.

“When I realized [the griffin] had a beak and four legs, and many dinosaurs had a beak and four legs, I had to trace [the griffin] story back to its origins,” Mayor said.

Once she did that, she made two maps, one of where protoceratops bones were found, and one where the stories of the griffins surfaced. And then she laid one on top of the other. Not to her surprise, they lined up.

The article also mentions Cyclops, the Kracken and a short paragraph on Dragons at the end. It's an interesting read if you have time.

Of all the mythical creatures, I would love to believe that Dragons were once real. I'm skeptical of it, but the possibility is always there. smile  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:41 pm
Chaos Blue
I know it sounds kind of outlandish, but perhaps not...
...Dragons?

I mean, why not? That creature is one of the most widespread throughout different cultures and transcends time. It could be that some of those bones we find aren't dinosaur...But dragon? A close cousin?

I'm not too sure. I'm just speculating, but hey...Think about it!
wink

I never even thought of that, but it's a good theory! I think there are spells that call on the spirit of dragons too, so maybe that's why they hang around Earth in the first place, they're haunting us XD  

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200
The Sitting Room - - [real-life, quest threads, chatterbox, etc]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items