Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
A language where you sing? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm
Well, make sure that the questions you pose can be interpreted as such with out tone, either by context or by using question words. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm
I dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but most humans would have a tough time speaking a language with exact tone intervals as a large part of it, unless they carried a pitchwhistle around with them.

Only a very small percentage of the human population has the ability to recognise a specific pitch, so there could be as many as 12 misinterpretations of the same sentence.

Unless of course it was the INTERVALS themselves that created the meaning. Like, a rise of a minor second interval may constitute an exclamation, rather than a specific shift from C to C#, for example. In that case, I think it could be a very interesting project. smile

The first vowel of every sentence could be without diacritic, then diacritics could form the specific tonal changes on each succeeding vowel. You'd have to dig into all sorts of alphabets to get 24 different interval changes (that's the entire chromatic scale ascending+descending), so it might be easier to invent some or just double up on the vowel transcriptions. ie, a fifth might be something like " fööó ". Or, you could take the easy way out and mutilate the Vietnamese alphabet. razz

But I'm waffling on, now. Hope there's something interesting in there somewhere. wink

EDIT: Oh, in terms of actual human capacity to speak with specific intervals in real time, it might be simpler to use simple intervals, like seconds, thirds, fifths, and octaves, and then have a more complex vowel length system. Like Estonian.  

Dukonnaire

Dukonnaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 pm
Maggoty Anne
But remember how intonation is used in English to convey meaning? Like how you raise your pitch a little at the end of a sentence when you ask a question? How would you prevent everything being said in English from becoming a statement?

We Australians do that even when we aren't asking a question. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:09 pm
Dukonnaire
Maggoty Anne
But remember how intonation is used in English to convey meaning? Like how you raise your pitch a little at the end of a sentence when you ask a question? How would you prevent everything being said in English from becoming a statement?

We Australians do that even when we aren't asking a question. crying

Yeah you do! I'm in New Zealand and I find it funny how you do that.

Although, to be fair there are some guys here who do that exact same thing sweatdrop  

spheal 000

5,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

Azaurmyth

Devoted Reveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 am
Maggoty Anne
Being tone deaf would become a severe speech impediment, that's for sure. mrgreen

No kidding it would. Lol.

Maggoty Anne

Perhaps because of cultural difference they don't get the raising of tone at the end of a question? I don't know, maybe they should do something different with questions and not understand the toning of other languages.

The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff