Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm
(( AIM log between Kairi and Kimaria ))

Today had been a good day so far. She'd checked over her records of the past month and found no errors, and so she'd moved back another month and was checking that through, too, her steel-blue eyes scanning the page carefully, before repeating the action another two times. There was no room for error in her records - none at all. Despite her own excellent memory, the pride needed a dedicated, accurate Historian who could keep the records for those who's memories weren't as adept as hers. That job was allocated to her, and she certainly didn't take it lightly.

Qī Wàng - expectation. There was a lot expected of her, and had been even since her strange introduction into the pride as a mere juvenile. But she was a determined, hard-working individual, and would never dream of letting those so kind enough to accept her into their family down. No - it'd be a great disrespect to the Lord and Lady of the house to record their history inaccurately. And so, whenever she wasn't writing a new chapter of the East House's story, she was checking over the previous ones, to ensure that all was correct and precise.

So yes, a good day by her standards. No errors had been found, and she'd been yet to be interrupted by some mindless lion intent on irritating her. The sun was warm on her back and the gentle breeze kept her body at a pleasant temperature, preventing the sun from overheating her. The lionness even smiled to herself a little as she re-read the paragraph for a third time, skimming quickly once more before moving on to the next.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:16 pm
He was still new. Still finding his paws. In fact, he still felt a little lost. This place was not as crowded as the Pridelands had been. In fact this place was not even comparable to his birthplace. It was different in every shape of form, from the terrain to the lions that lived here.

He respected the lions that lived here.

The breeze was good, too. There weren't breezes like this back home! He breathed in that fresh air, filled his lungs with it, and found himself oddly content. Peace, quiet, intelligent conversation. It was like heaven!

With a growling purr at his throat he moved onwards. It was the sort of purr that sounded unpracticed, rattling in a throat that only spoke words of scorn and irritance. But not today. No, today all was well with the world. He was content. Content that he'd found his new home. A place he could stay for life. No more rogue, no more battling to survive. No. This was the life for him!

And then he spotted her, not too far away. A female of silver proportions, body streaked with lines of grey. He tipped his head and dared himself to wonder whether she was a member of this House. He paused, uncertain whether to approach, uncertain whether it would be a good idea to. His social skills had never been very good.

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 pm
Another paragraph done, another paragraph correct. She didn't doubt her abilities - she was sure it was perfectly accurate. But that small nagging voice in the back of her head told her she had to continuously check...just in case. An oddly written letter could change the whole meaning, after all. Her smile widened a little further as another breeze blew past gently - so calm. She did enjoy the breezes the Tianxia lands received. They prevented it from ever turning too hot that there was a danger of overheating.

Wait...what was that? Nose wrinkling a little, both in surprise and mild disgust, Kumbuka's ears straightened. That scent...it wasn't nature. It was another creature - big cat. Turning her head, eyes wide and ears erect, she stared directly at the male, nostrils flared. Who was he - she hadn't seen him here before. And she was the historian - she had a flawless memory. She never forgot a face. And she was certain that she'd never seen him before. Was he a rogue? She'd never been in such a situation before - rogues were forbidden.

Unsure of what to do, she simply stared at him. Perhaps he'd go awya by himself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:27 pm
Ugh...talk about awkward situations.

Yen Ha - or Bai Bo as he was now known (he had to try and remember that!) - was not used to these sorts of difficult things. Making conversation with strangers was not a skill he was good at. He was a geek of the lion world, smart, sharp-witted and sharp-tongued. However, he was awkward too, often saying the stupid thing because his brain wouldn't compute when he felt uncomfortable.

And he felt uncomfortable now.

His ears flattened back and that rough purr turned into a rough growl - quiet but...possibly audible? It wasn't meant as a threatening growl. It was simple a confused, hesitant sound. He certainly was unsure. She didn't look very friendly. Maybe she was a rogue invading the lands? Maybe he ought to go and question her. He knew one thing about these lands already and that was that outsiders were not permitted this far inside the territory.

But...he couldn't fight to save his life! He was a wimp! What was he going to do?

And then he caught onto that she wasn't just doing nothing. In fact she was doing something and he didn't know what it was. He drew in a breath and took a step towards her.

"Should you be here?" He called. "Are you a member of the East House?"

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:37 pm
This was...awkward. What should she do - attack? She'd never been trained as a warrior, and as such had limited knowledge of any war craft. The East House was one with the trait of wisdom, and as such many and most of the members weren't as athletically gifted as they were intellectually. This was an...odd and uncomfortable situation, to say the least.

He called out, and she felt a surge of anger through her. Was she in the East House! She certainly knew she was, and how dare he question it? She was a well-known and well-respected member of the house, chosen as a juvenile by the Lord specifically for her task as Historian, thanks to her remarkable memory. She felt...furious that he should ask such a question.

Her ears pinned back against her skull, Kumbuka let instinct take over as she flashed her sharp teeth, a hiss rumbling up her throat. Unlike his, however, hers was most certainly a warning. "I have more right than you, rogue. Leave these lands now, before you're killed for your impotence."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:43 pm
Woah, okay, calm down girl! His thoughts raced and he felt his legs become jelly beneath him. They quivered and he took a stumbled step back, surprised at her sudden fierceness. What the heck was it with girls and their anger issues?! Maybe this was no different from the Pridelands after all! He could have wept at the thought of it. But he was too afraid and too full of pride to do such a thing - in front of this female, anyway.

"Impotence?" He finally found his voice, her words jarring something inside of him. Something that made him want to defend himself.

"Rogue?" He snorted, his face full of sudden contempt. "Please, you don't know what you're talking about, Lady. I'm of the East House. New Member, permitted by Yua'Lopoka Mila. I have as much right to be here as anyone."

What would she say to that, he wondered.

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 pm
He stumbled backwards - Kumbuka had to stop herself from chuckling. Chuckling would do no good to this fierce outlook she was trying to create, now would it? She could tell that the male had no such worries - he seemed a little embarrassed, but nothing more. It she'd reacted in such a way to a mere hiss, she'd have flushed bright red in shame.

He repeated her words, and she couldn't help but drop the fierceness, giving an irritable sigh with a roll of her eyes. Why was it others felt the need to repeat words that were spoken? Couldn't they remember what had been said without the need to repeat it? It was something that annoyed Kumbuka to no end, and she even found herself growling for it. And his disrespectful tone - now that was not on. Whether he was a new member or not, you did not speak in that way to one of higher authority. He was a new member - she'd been a member for many-a-year, and was a respected historian. Whether it was true in the hierarchy or not, Kumbuka certainly viewed herself as of a higher status than this...this boy.

"You may have right to be here, but you have no right to use that tone of voice," she snapped, flashing her teeth again in a warning. Another rude outburst from him and she'd not only report him, but take a swipe at him too. Even Kumbuka was prone to a rash outburst when provoked. "You will speak with respect to those of a higher authority of you, or you might as well leave now."

Her voice was strict and authoritative, although not in a way as to make her seem arrogant. She wasn't - merely asserting her position and expereince in the pride. "Do you have a name? A proper name?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:55 pm
Her words pacified him, though for how long no one could really tell. Anger wasn't his thing. Grumpiness, moodiness, now those were the moods that he thrived in. Ever the grump-face, not seeming to find much fun in anything other than proving how wonderful his brain was in comparison to others.

And the one thing that made him grumpiest was girls like this one. Girls like this talking down to him. He bristled at her words but there was nothing he could say to deny the truth in this. He'd known from the offset that he had to start at the bottom and work his way up. He was an ambitious one and he was not about to let something like this get in the way of his dreams.

"I'm sorry." Apologies didn't come easy either, but he managed it. "I didn't realise. I was just being careful, as you were, apparently." He lifted his head a little. "I do. It is Bai Bo. I'm hoping to become a teacher for the East House."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm
His apology gained a nod of approval from Kumbuka - she didn't hold grudges. Although she was still irritated, as was clear by her bristled tail, he'd made a mistake, and fixed it. He was being quite humble now, and that was what mattered. She didn't care for trivial things such as grudges - they were childish and unnecessary. Pushing herself to her feet, Kumbuka brushed herself free of dust before turning, walking towards Yen Ha, pausing to lower her hind when she was a permissable distance away. She'd found the strangers often didn't like others getting too close - personal space. Kumbuka didn't really like anyone cluttering her 'personal space', but even so she respected others'.

Bai Bo - wanting to be a teacher. Her eyebrows rose in mild surprise, but there was nothing more as she instead gave another respectful nod, followed by a rather forced smile. She didn't want to be doing this - she had work to do. But Yua might have her head if she didn't interact with some of the pride other than close friends such as Cadenza.

"Pleasure to meet you, Bai Bo. I am Qī Wàng, Historian of the East House. It is my job to record all important events and occurances, so that future generations may be informed."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm
He read her expression - the rise of her eyebrows - and shifted somewhat irritably. Why was she surprised? The East House held members prized on for their intelligence. Did she really think he would have been accepted if he wanted to be anything less than the best he could make himself?

He smothered the grunt of annoyance and shoved it far away. "And you, Qī Wàng." He diverted his gaze a little. "You'll have to excuse me. I've been alone so long and I've never been good at talking, especially with strangers." And then after a moment he returned his gaze to her.

So, she was an Historian. Certainly a high rank. Yes, he'd have to watch himself around this one. She'd probably be able to beat him up and she could pull rank on him whenever she wanted. Yes. Tread carefully.

"What sort of important events do you record? Is that what you were doing before I came by?" He was genuinely curious. He was born curious!

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 pm
He returned her greeting and once again she nodded in acceptance. He was treading carefully now - she could tell as she carefully watched his facial expression, steel blue eyes narrowed just slightly. Facial expressions were different on all lions, but the basics of them were the same.

He apologised again, although why she didn't quite know. Been alone so long? She...didn't care, to be frank. If he wasn't good at talking, she was fine with that. He was irritating her and she wanted him to stop talking, so she could get back to work. This soon changed however, when he showed interest in her work.

She couldn't stand lions that came and started idle chit-chat with her. There should be a point to all conversations, that should be quickly reached and resolved. Words weren't created so people could muse over what the weather was like. But for lions who showed interest in ehr work...well, then she wasn't irritated. She was more prideful, and was eager to share her love for the history of the house with others. It seemed Bai Bo had just said exactly the right thing.

"I record events such as births, marriages and deaths," she began, her expression clearly showing her love for her work, "Events that shape the pride and the lions in it. I work closely with the nobles and royalty to ensure that an unbiased, fair view of the pride is recorded." She paused for a few moments, even offering a genuine smile - now that was rare. "Yes, in a way. I was rereading what I've already recording, to ensure that no errors are present. Everything must be recorded prescisely and accurately."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:29 pm
He listened, head slightly tilted, both ears trained on her. He could learn a lot from this one then. About the pride. About its creation. Everything that he needed to know to fit in and become a true member. That knowledge lay within this lioness. Even more of a reason to attempt and befriend her, or at least make a civil acquaintance of her.

"And you record all of these things in written form?" He asked. "All those events to be remembered? We had nothing of the sort where I came from." He was impressed, that was certain. "So the pride learns to write these things and read them, too? Or are the logs for noble and royal eyes only? I'd be interested in seeing them. I want to learn everything I can about the Tianxia and the lions that live here. Perhaps you could give me a few pointers on the best way to go about it."

He sat. "Beginning with the past seems like a sensible idea to me."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:40 pm
She gave a simple nod in reponse to his question - of course she wrote them down! A scribe would usually carry out the task, but as there currently was none she was instead forced to do it herself. But she didn't mind, really. She preferred it, in a way - with her doing it all there was much less room for error than if she was conferring the information to another to record. Then there was room for miscommunication and through that, inaccuracy.

"It's a role the Tianxia take very seriously. I was chosen and trained from a young age." she offered as a reply, watching him carefully. he did seem genuinely interested, and this pleased her greatly, eyes almost sparkling with joy as she watched him. Just to find someone who shared her love of the past and recording it was something she'd neve experienced before. "Most of the pride are able to read and record, yes. My records are able to be viewed by all, although it's usually only the nobles and royalty who are interested."

She spoke with a somewhat sad tone - it was a shame, really. The history was so interesting, and deserved to be read more than it was. Her ears perked up a little as he expressed his own interest in seeing the records, Kumbuka narrowing her eyes once again. Was he just saying what she wanted to hear? ...It didn't seem so. This was...intriguing. She'd never been in such a circumstance before.

"I...I would be honoured, Bai Bo. But be more specific, please - the past of the pride, or just of the House?" she spoke, managing to not completely unravel in her glee at such a request being made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 pm
"Truly?" He asked. "Then perhaps you could teach me a thing or two about recording and reading? I would be very interested and very honoured to read the history of this pride." And he was genuinely interested. This was, in fact, the first time he'd come across another whom he felt he could respect. This girl was smart and the thoughts of a few moments ago were long lost.

This place was certainly not the land of his birth.

And finally, he wouldn't have to teach himself everything. He'd have a helper, a guiding paw. He wouldn't have to do it alone. Yes, he enjoyed alone time, quiet time to think of his theories and dabble in his ideas. But sometimes, like with learning parts of the pride, he could not do so alone.

He paused at her question. "Perhaps it would be best to start with the history of the House as it is where I am going to be staying - hopefully for as long as I live. Then, move outwards from there? Do we have much contact with members of the other Houses? I wouldn't like to take up too much of your time. Perhaps, if my interests go farther than East, I can ask for another's help, too."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:59 pm
Kumbuka offered another genuine smile, again as a response. He seemed truly grateful for her help, and she was happy to give it - for one to show interest in something she loved made her...happy. Extremely happy, and she wanted to educate him further. Wanted to help him in his quest for learning.

"Do you know yet how to read and record, Bai Bo?" she asked, since it would be a good place to start. If he didn't, then further lessons would be made more difficult.

History of the house? She nodded - it was a good place to start. However, when he started asking questions not about the specific subject he had requested, she frowned a little - why ask to be told about one thing then inquire about another? She ignored it, however, still too gleeful from finding another with similar interests. "Contact with other houses depends on your position. We are free to roam into other Houses' territories, although it is custom to be polite and ask permission, first. It's common for houses to form alliances through arranged marriages, be they between those of royal blood or not."

Finished with that topic, she quickly moved on to the one he had first inquired about, hopefully to prevent him going off on another tangent. "The East House was given to Yi Min and his Lady, Lei Ming by the Emperoress and Emperor of the Central House, Tzu Hsi and Wei Gang. The history isn't as old as one may think, having happened no more than a lifetime ago."

[IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff