Are there two other girls?
  Yes, but I don't know who.
  Yes, and I know who.
  No, it was one of JKR's mistakes.
View Results

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:22 pm
Suze brought something up to me that she read on HP Lexicon, and it made me curious for an explanation. I was hoping one of you would have one.

In PoA when Gryffindor had the DADA boggart lesson by themselves there were two extra boggarts.

Neville- Snape
Parvati- Mummy
Seamus-banshee
unidentified female student- rat
unidentified female student-rattlesnake
unidentified female student- eyeball
Dean- hand
Ron-spider

Hermione and Harry didn’t have a go at it, and one of the unidentified ones was obviously Lavender's, but what about the others? Could there really be two extra Gryff girls in Harry’s year? I can’t imagine Hermione NEVER mentioning them. Besides, I know that Harry can be oblivious sometimes, but if there were girls in his year in his own House (aside from the three that we know about) could he seriously not notice them ever? They'd be in ALL of his classes (except some electives) for a minimum of five years; six years if they made it to N.E.W.T. level.

Maybe it was just one of JKR's mistakes, like forgetting to make Marcus Flint graduate with Oliver, or naming that Muggle boy Mark Evans? What are your thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:53 pm
Tell Suze to stop stressing. JKR makes tons of mistakes--we love HP not for it's amazingly realistic quality, but the story behind it. (And Draco. ninja )  

turayza

Fumetsu Hime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:20 pm
I'm sure there are lots of other girls in his year. JKR wasn't going to mention every detail in his life. He probably wasn't attracted to them so they were insignifigant.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:22 pm
PATIL! PAVARTI"S TWIN!!!! She is in Gryffindor right? Or was she in a different house? I didn't give them alot of attention so i'm not sure.  

Fumetsu Hime

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:41 am
Hehe, turayza, I wasn't stressing, just curious. I love finding out itty bitty details so I was just wondering if there was a mistake or some people I was missing. Haha. I am a bit strange in that aspect. smile

Haley, Padma, Parvati's twin, was a ravenclaw. In the movies, she is a Gryff, but the books say Ravenclaw biggrin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:59 am
HP Wiki
J.K. Rowling has been asked about the unidentified Gryffindor girls in three interviews. She said their names were in her notebook, and promised twice to post them on her website, but has so far forgotten to do so. The names may have already appeared partially on the class list shown on Harry Potter and Me.

Here are the quotes from each of the websites:
AccioQuote
Adele: Who are the two "unknown Gryffindor girls" in Harry's year?
JK Rowling replies -> Oh, I've just understood what you mean. I haven't got the notebook to hand and I can't remember! That's terrible. I'll try and remember before the end of the chat!

AccioQuote
MA: Yeah. Have you discovered the two missing Gryffindor students?

JKR: [Covers eyes] Ohh! [Frustrated.] I was going to go and get that for you, I'm sorry I haven't got it, I'll put it on my site.

Pottercast
MA: Speaking of Gryffindor- students, do you have the name of those two Gryffindor girls?

JKR: Oh, God. (laughs)

SU: Pressure’s on!

JKR: Do you know what? I swear to you, I will find the damn notebook, (ma laughs) and I will put it on my website. I will put it on my website, (SU: Woo hoo!) that will be my gift to you.

JN: Your whole notebook? (laugh)

JKR: No, are you mad? (All laugh) (SU: That’d be awesome.) That’s for the Scottish Book. No.

JN: Of course, yeah.

JKR: Just the two names. I will put two names up.

MA: It’s just so funny because this thing has been- you know, it’s been, like, five years or something, just that question.

JKR: Yes, it’s been- exactly. We’ve been talking about that for four years, I think it is now.

Haha, yup, I researched and this is what I found. smile Just because I am bored and waitning for my father to get home razz . If anyone finds out the names, could you please post them here because I am super curious and would like to know!

SuzelovesJamesPotter

jgsc82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:37 am
I'm pretty sure your missing two people  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:46 am
How many people are there in each year...?
If it's a room per gender per year, and that's around 6 people-ish...
*brain melts*  

turayza

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:35 pm
Heh, JKR says there is usually around 40 people per year. Usually a little less. So about 10 per house and five per dorm room xd  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:40 pm
Good researching, Suze! razz Once JKR reveals the names there will probably be fan fics galore about them! Remember all the fics about Blaise before HBP was released? No one knew Blaise's gender, so there were fics that depicted the Slytherin as a boy, but most tended to him Blaise as a girl.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:53 am
Couldn't they have been in Slytherin? Didn't they have that same class with the Gyffindors? Or am I channeling movies again? Because I've been known to do that. A lot of times, I've been known to do that.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:10 am
Minerva the Bookwyrm
Good researching, Suze! razz Once JKR reveals the names there will probably be fan fics galore about them! Remember all the fics about Blaise before HBP was released? No one knew Blaise's gender, so there were fics that depicted the Slytherin as a boy, but most tended to him Blaise as a girl.

Haha! Yes, I do. I think it's funny how everyone likes the characters that you have the smallest bit of information about. They are so much fun to read/write though! smile  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff