Any advice?
  Yes, of course!
  No, sorry.
View Results

AmyK02

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:06 pm
KillerQueen Bash
User Image
I'm trying to get a scholarship, but odds are I'll have to do two years at the community college and then go to a real college. And she'll probably move in with me once I get my own house. She's still living at home, and once they kick her out she'll have nowhere to go. She works at the movie theater.
Still no family meeting. The anticipation...RRGH!

Credit

Then you get to say "My house my rules" if she moves in with you xd lol

Good luck with the family meeting!  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:36 pm
User Image
Meeting should be on Saturday. Everybody has it off. I have two projects, so I'll be really busy. I'll try and post again by Monday!

Credit

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm
Good luck!  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:51 pm
User Image
Thanks. And my grandma's ex-"Wiccan" friend wants to take me to see Angels & Demons this weekend, too. My poor boyfriend must feel pretty ignored by now!
I have History vs Hollywood notecards on Anastasia (1997 cartoon) due on Monday, and I need to voice my cartoon about STDs by Sunday and put it all together. I'll put it on YouTube and let you guys see it.
I tried to convince my mom to get me a fake ID and take me to Vegas with her over the summer, but she wouldn't give in, not even when I promised to give the ID back and let her shred it at the end of the trip!

Credit

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 am
User Image
Alright, we had our discussion.
I've been pretty disrespectful lately because they've been disrespectful to me. So we mainly talked about being nice to each other and that if I don't shape up, I'm going to bootcamp. I have to go to church every Sunday, and I have to pay attention. They still aren't comfortable with my beliefs, but I explained to them (for the umpteenth time) what they are, and that my grandma's friend was not practicing Wicca. They said that I'm not allowed to honor my God and Goddess in their church, but I can take my own time to do that.

Credit

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:47 pm
Well of course one shouldn't honor a different god and goddess in another religion's church. It seems as though that'd be an affront. Common sense, but hey. Whatever.

I'm really glad that things somewhat evened out for you, Queenie. At least they are not totally banning you from doing what you feel is right for yourself. And who knows? Perhaps they'll get used to it while you're going about living with them during high school. They might even learn a couple more things (Like a bit more religious tolerance, and how responsible you are regarding your faith). Best wishes! heart And congrats on the resolution.

Chaos Blue

AmyK02

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:21 pm
Glad its somewhat resolved and you aren't being shipped off! smile Like Chaos said; maybe you can help them learn abit more about Wicca and they will be better able to accept it in time- especially once you are on your own.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm
User Image
Thank you everyone!

Credit

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

lil fae of seelie sidhe

750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 pm
Telutha
First off: If you are school age, you are not Wiccan, you are some form of Eclectic Neopaganism. Wicca was founded by a man named Gerald Garner- and by definition, to be able to be Wiccan, one must be initiated into a coven in the exact manner prescribed by the founder (one G. Gardner). Wicca is, in essence, a fertility cult, therefore, those under the age of legal consent their particular region cannot, legally, be initiates in to a coven.

With that over and done with, I say you go to the authorities... or at the very least a principal or teacher. What you have on your hands is a very real threat. This person has proposed bodily harm, and if you can get witnesses in your favor you can get something done about this.

And to address something that I don't think you really want to hear: DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR RELIGION. It's a fact of life that people are intolerant and bigoted, so do whatever you can to avoid conflict. If asked about your religion, you could very politely decline speaking of it or just say 'neo paganism' (seeing as most people high-school age don't know what that is, anyway.... at least in my part of the world). I apologize as I come off as uppity, or something like that- but I've had many a friend in the same situation as you- and they didn't handle it well. You seem like a relatively calm, mature person and I wish you nothing but the best.

Any other questions, needs for advice or such, feel free to PM me- I'd be happy to chat with you.

)O( Blessed Be ^__^

First of all, not to be rude, Wicca actually comes from a Latin word to mean nature so to be wiccan is to be one with nature or to worship nature, Secondly Hedge witches are not initiated into a coven. Thirdly neopaganism has a stigma to it which makes those who are pagan look like teeny boppers. I am only 19, never been in a coven but i was raised by none garderians....they were keltoi and romani and native american...So please do not misconstrue words. thank you. For the darling who is have trouble in classes hunny kids are like that...best to follow the law of magnus- keep silence. If they dont stop go to some one and explain you have different beleifs and you are being discriminated....dont tell them your pagan but have a different faith...its easier in the midwest and southwest.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 pm
lil fae of seelie sidhe
First of all, not to be rude, Wicca actually comes from a Latin word to mean nature so to be wiccan is to be one with nature or to worship nature,

Source for this please (seriously I'd really like to know), because the proper etymology of the word is Old Engligh for "male witch" or "wizard". It was a word that until Gardner used it was not being used in current language.

Quote:
Secondly Hedge witches are not initiated into a coven.

Depends... there are witchcraft trads that do require initiation. Also... what is your definition of a "hedgewitch"?

Quote:
Thirdly neopaganism has a stigma to it which makes those who are pagan look like teeny boppers.

Not really, though it probably doesn't help that there is a disproportionate number of teens who take up "Wicca" just to piss their parents off, who really have no idea what it is (and don't care to), and do all sorts of crazy crap and claim that it's "Wiccan". So it's no wonder people have a bad opinion of things.

Quote:
I am only 19, never been in a coven but i was raised by none garderians....they were keltoi and romani and native american...So please do not misconstrue words. thank you.

A few questions...

Why do you refer to the Celts using the Greek term (Keltoi), why not just say Celtic?

What to Celts, Romani and Native Americans have to do with Wicca? (Wicca being the priesthood of the Lord and Lady of the British Isles)

A few sources that you may want to take a look at...

Wicca FAQ

History of Wicca in England: 1939 to the Present Day

The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

lil fae of seelie sidhe

750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 am
too2sweet
lil fae of seelie sidhe
First of all, not to be rude, Wicca actually comes from a Latin word to mean nature so to be wiccan is to be one with nature or to worship nature,

Source for this please (seriously I'd really like to know), because the proper etymology of the word is Old Engligh for "male witch" or "wizard". It was a word that until Gardner used it was not being used in current language.

Quote:
Secondly Hedge witches are not initiated into a coven.

Depends... there are witchcraft trads that do require initiation. Also... what is your definition of a "hedgewitch"?

Quote:
Thirdly neopaganism has a stigma to it which makes those who are pagan look like teeny boppers.

Not really, though it probably doesn't help that there is a disproportionate number of teens who take up "Wicca" just to piss their parents off, who really have no idea what it is (and don't care to), and do all sorts of crazy crap and claim that it's "Wiccan". So it's no wonder people have a bad opinion of things.

Quote:
I am only 19, never been in a coven but i was raised by none garderians....they were keltoi and romani and native american...So please do not misconstrue words. thank you.

A few questions...

Why do you refer to the Celts using the Greek term (Keltoi), why not just say Celtic?

What to Celts, Romani and Native Americans have to do with Wicca? (Wicca being the priesthood of the Lord and Lady of the British Isles)

A few sources that you may want to take a look at...

Wicca FAQ

History of Wicca in England: 1939 to the Present Day

The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton
My grandmere was offended by being called celtic...she said her people, my people were keltoi...who begain in greece then germany then scotland. they were in a sense a type of gypsy...and what it has to do with wicca is...gardner based most o his stuff off the Old Traditions...Ones i was taught by family...And ill get back to you on the wicca thing...It would require me going to Ozark Avalon and talking to the High Preist there  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 am
The spelling Wica first appears in the writings of Gerald Gardner (Witchcraft Today, 1954, and The Meaning of Witchcraft, 1959). He used the word as a mass noun referring to the adherents of his tradition of witchcraft ('the Wica'), rather than the religion itself. He referred to the religion as witchcraft, never Wica. The word seems to be based on the Old English word wicca (pronounced [ˈwɪtʃɑ]); similarly, wicca and its feminine form wice are the predecessors of the modern English witch.

Gardner himself claimed he learned the term from existing members of the group who initiated him into witchcraft in 1939: "I realised I had stumbled on something interesting; but I was half-initiated before the word Wica which they used hit me like a thunderbolt, and I knew where I was, and that the Old Religion still existed."[73][74]

The spelling Wicca was not used by Gardner and the term Wiccan (both as an adjective and a noun) was not used until much later, but it is now the prevalent term to refer to followers of Wicca.[75]

Here is the complete expansion of the Indo-European root of the word
"witch", from THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF INDO-EUROPEAN ROOTS,
revised & edited by Calvert Watkins (Houghton Mifflin Co.: Boston,
1985; ISBN 0-395-36070-6):

WEIK- [1]. Clan (social unit above the household). 1. Suffixed form
*WEIK- SLA in Latin VILLA, country house, farm: VILLA, VILLAGE,
VILLAIN, VILLANELLE, (VILLEIN); (BIDONVILLE). 2. Suffixed o-grade
form *WOIK-O in: a. Latin VICUS, quarter or district of a town,
neighborhood: (VICINAGE), VICINITY; b. Greek OIKOS, house, and its
derivativ e OIKIA, dwelling: ANDROECIUM, AUTOECIOUS, DIOCESE,
DIOECIOUS, DIOICOUS, ECESIS, ECOLOGY, ECONOMY, ECUMENICAL,
HETEROECIOUS, MONOECIOUS, PARISH, TRIOUECIOUS. 3. Zero-grade from
*WIK- in Sanskrit VIS- dwelling, house, with derivative VAISYAH,
settler: VAISYA.

WEIK- [2]. In words connectid with magic and religious notions (in
Germanic and Latin). 1. Germanic suffixed form *WIH-L- in Old English
WIGLE, divination, sorcery, akin to the Germanic source of Old French
GUILE, cunning trickery: GUILE. 2. Germanic expressive form *WIKK-
in: a. Old English WICCA, wizard, and WICCE, witch: WITCH; b. Old
English WICCIAN, to cast a spell: BEWITCH. 3. Possible suffixed
zero-grade form *WIK-T-IMA in latin VICTIMA, animal used as sacrifice,
victim (although this may belong to another root *[SHWA]WEK- not
otherwise represented in English): VICTIM.

WEIK- [3]. To be like. 1. Suffixed variant form *EIK-ON- in Greek
EIKON, likeness, image: ICON, (ICONIC), ICONO-; ANISEIKONIA. 2.
Prefixed and suffixed zero-grade form *N-WIK-ES, not like (*N-, not),
in greek AIKES, unseemly: AECIUM.

WEIK- [4]. Also WEIG-. To bend, wind. I. Form WEIG-. 1. Germanic
*WIK- in: a. Old English WICE, wych elm (having pliant branches): WYCH
ELM; b. Swedish VIKER, willow twig, wand, akin to the Scandinavian
source of Middle English WIKER, wicker: WICKER; c. Old Norse vikja, to
bend, turn, probably akin to the Scandinavian source of Old Nort h
French WIKET, wicket (< "door that turns?): WICKET. 2. Germanic
*WAIKWAZ in: a. Old Norse VEIKR, pliant: WEAK; b. Dutch WEEK, weak,
soft: WEAKFISH. 3. Germanic *WIKON-, "a turning," series, in Old
English WICU, WICE, week: WEEK. II. Form *WEIK-. Zero-grade form
*WIK- in: a. Latin VIX (genetive VICUS), turn, situation, change:
VICAR (VICARIOUS), VICE[3]; VICISSITUDE; b. Latin VICIA, vetch (<
"twining plant"): VETCH.

WEIK- [5]. To fight, conquer. 1. Germanic *WIK- in Old Norse VIGR,
able in battle: WIGHT[2]. 2. Nasalized zero-grade form *WI-N-K- in
Latrin VINCERE (past participle VICTUS), to conquer: VANQUISH, VICTOR,
VINCIBLE; CONVINCE, EVICT.  

lil fae of seelie sidhe

750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm
lil fae of seelie sidhe
Here is the complete expansion of the Indo-European root of the word.

You'll notice that not one of them states anything about Wicca actually coming from a "Latin word to mean nature". I was asking you for the source of your definition, since it was so completely different than any one that has ever been put forth.

Quote:
Gardner himself claimed he learned the term from existing members of the group who initiated him into witchcraft in 1939:

The actual existence of this group is debatable, as there is no actual evidence of the New Forest Coven.

________
Also, when you are going to copy/paste (word for word) the works of others, you need to be sure to cite your sources, otherwise it's considered plagiarism. 3nodding

Quote:
My grandmere was offended by being called celtic...she said her people, my people were keltoi...who begain in greece then germany then scotland. they were in a sense a type of gypsy...and what it has to do with wicca is...gardner based most o his stuff off the Old Traditions...Ones i was taught by family...And ill get back to you on the wicca thing...It would require me going to Ozark Avalon and talking to the High Preist there

While you may have a family tradition (and that is wonderful if you do), it is not Wicca. While Gardner may or may not have been initiated into a witchcult, he took what he learned from them, added ceremonial magic, free masonry and a little bit of this and that of other occult/pagan practices that he'd learned over the years, and made Wicca into what is practiced today. What the New Forest Coven (if they actually existed) practiced was not Wicca, it was witchcraft tradition. Gardner's works were also based on misinformation, as a lot of it was influenced by Margaret Murray (who had theorized about "ancient Goddess religions" and such). Those theories have since been thoroughly debunked, which makes a lot of what Gardner claimed to be incorrect.

Also if this is the Ozark Avalon you mentioned, it's not a traditional Wiccan group. Even within the definition of "eclectic Wicca" (which is really not appropriate either), it looks to be really pushing it. This isn't to say that they aren't a great group of people, and if you have access to such a place that is really awesome, but it's not really what Wicca really is. An essential part of Wicca is adhering to the correct practices, and this particular group seems to have their own rules/laws/practices - of which Wicca already has established ones. The sad fact is that many people use the word because it is recognizable, and they feel is has less stigma attached to it, but claiming to be something doesn't always make it so. Though it actually could be a legal thing as well, since "Wicca" is a recognized religion (even if the definition is completely incorrect), so in order for this group to incorporate they may have been forced to take on the "Wicca" designation for legal purposes. It's a crazy world, I tell ya!

On a side note, I would please ask that you not use the word "gypsy". Despite any common romantic connotations the word might have, it is highly offensive to the Rroma people. (akin to using the N~ word if you know what I mean).  
The Sitting Room - - [real-life, quest threads, chatterbox, etc]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff