Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Song Wei

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:04 pm
Homurakitsune
Shangroulu
I love the formation of soft letters, mostly Zh (which I consider a soft letter, like the Russian Zh) mostly I love the sounds of N/M/L/B/V/W/ and Zh/Ng/Dh

I HATE the letter C, it was a fail invention of any language, S or K please... no stupid in the middle letter.

sorry...
I actually like the letter C. I think it would be neat if it replaced both K and S and relied on the sounds surrounding it to determine if it was hard or soft. Just something to speculate; I don't think that'll actually happen.
see its unusual for a language to have that type of system, I think either replace the K/S using C or just use K or S, not all three because that doesn't make sense.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 pm
For some reason I love the L(vowel)FT combo.

Like: left, loft, lift, etc.  

TurtIe Tracks

Caffeinated Tea

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:55 am
I like the sounds of t, d, th (ð or þ for you guys :3), r (not the American English one, the... Spanish one), l, s, sh, k, y, and g.

I don't really like b, v, f, or p. I don't like sounds made with the lips. Although I'd probably use them in a conlang just to add variety. : P  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 pm
Shangroulu
Homurakitsune
Shangroulu
I love the formation of soft letters, mostly Zh (which I consider a soft letter, like the Russian Zh) mostly I love the sounds of N/M/L/B/V/W/ and Zh/Ng/Dh

I HATE the letter C, it was a fail invention of any language, S or K please... no stupid in the middle letter.

sorry...
I actually like the letter C. I think it would be neat if it replaced both K and S and relied on the sounds surrounding it to determine if it was hard or soft. Just something to speculate; I don't think that'll actually happen.
see its unusual for a language to have that type of system, I think either replace the K/S using C or just use K or S, not all three because that doesn't make sense.
That's what I was saying. xD

The letter C would replace both K and S, but it would still have two sounds associated with it. Whether it sounded like a K or an S would be determined by the surrounding sounds. 3nodding  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 pm
Homurakitsune
Shangroulu
Homurakitsune
Shangroulu

sorry...
That's what I was saying. xD

The letter C would replace both K and S, but it would still have two sounds associated with it. Whether it sounded like a K or an S would be determined by the surrounding sounds. 3nodding
Mostly like in french. If it is followed by an a, u, or o it is "hard", or makes the K sound. If it is followed be e or i, it is "soft", or makes the S sound. Their are exceptions to this, such as "ça", where an accent is added to keep the soft S sound.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:02 pm
My favoite sound has to be a hard /ʃ/. Not sure why, but it just has a nice sound to it (whereas others might call it too harsh). /k/ and /t/ are also close favorites. If I had to say I hated any particular sound, it'd have to be /ɺ/ (Japanese R/L). It's a "make up your effing mind" kind of sound, neither an L nor an R.

TurtIe Tracks
I Þink English spelling is fairly stupid. It doesn't really make any sense at all, like you need to learn ðe spelling of each word instead of just learning ðe letters--

It makes a hundred kinds more sense than French spelling could ever hope to. You ask an Englishman, a Spaniard, an Italian, a Romanian, a Portuguese and a Frenchman how to pronounce the construction "OI". Here's their responses...

Englishman: "Oy, as in 'oil'!"

Spaniard: "Oy, as in 'oigo!'."

Italian: "Oy, as in 'accappatoi'!"

Romanian: "Oy, as in 'piţigoi'!"

Portuguese: "Oy, as in 'coisa'!"

French: "Wa, as in 'droit'!"

*cicket noises*

....Yeeeah.

Shangroulu

sorry...

The letter G is equally guilty of being fail, trying to impersonate J all the time.  

Hawk_McKrakken

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:08 pm
Hawk_McKrakken

...It makes a hundred kinds more sense than French spelling could ever hope to...
Don't remind me... stare

I would get an entire grade lower than what I should have gotten on French tests simply because I cannot spell for my life. My professor told me that my French was actually very good and there was no reason I shouldn't be doing better, but my spelling left a lot to be desired.

Dictionaries save my life. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 pm
Not going to lie, French get such a bad wrap for spelling. But, honestly, French spelling makes more sense than English. It is consistant and has patterns that make sense, but are often misunderstood because people speak English can't comprehend the letter constructions. What if the English speaker had replied "oy" as in "buoy"? On the other hand I love the fact that English is inconsistant because it reflects etymology. Depends on which way you look at the glass. Also, there are many French words which reproduce the typical "OI" sound, such as "feuille".  

JeSuisMustapha

Mizenki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 pm
JeSuisMustapha
Not going to lie, French get such a bad wrap for spelling. But, honestly, French spelling makes more sense than English. It is consistant and has patterns that make sense, but are often misunderstood because people speak English can't comprehend the letter constructions. What if the English speaker had replied "oy" as in "buoy"? On the other hand I love the fact that English is inconsistant because it reflects etymology. Depends on which way you look at the glass. Also, there are many French words which reproduce the typical "OI" sound, such as "feuille".
Just FYI, 'feuille' is /føij/, more or less.

Btw, we're also talking about sounds, not letters. They are two completely different things. is a letter, /c/ is a sound (one that a personally dislike because I fail at making it).
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 pm
JeSuisMustapha
I have no problem reading them, but remembering how to write them (for any language) just doesn't stick in my head. whee  

Henneth Annun

DarkBlueFox

Dapper Raider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm
When it comes to sounds not in languages, I like jingling noises like bells or keys.
When it comes to sounds in languages, I like K-sounds, Ch-sounds, and J-sounds the best. I love listening to German and Klingon especially.
As as for C, I was discussing with a friend how it isn't a real letter, because it does not have its own sound. It either sounds like S or K. While G can sound like J, it does have its own sound. We decided that Y is always a vowel, because of the way it is pronounced slowly. Also, W is sometimes a vowel. Take the word 'water' for example. When exaggerated, it sounds like 'oo-ah-tah'.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 pm
I like the consonants /t/, /k/, /l/, /n/ and the vowels: /i/, /e/, /u/ and /œ/. I do not like /æ/ because I can only distinguish it from A and E in English, in other languages like Finnish, it sounds like an A to me. gonk

I dislike the consonants /S/, /ʃ/, /F/ and the vowel /o/. razz

El Dimentio

The Quail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:44 pm
I really like /ð/. It's showing up a lot in my new project. (/d/ turns into [ð] intervocally, and as there are only few consonants and very simple syllable structure, that happens often...) /a/ is also very nice, but I really only appreciate it when I'm exposed to only English for a while. Of course.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 pm
I like b, d, dh, th, the english r, the japanese r, g, m, n, sh, L, and zh.
sounds I don't like very much are "ts", f, v, ng, the gutteral "r", and z.

Also, the letter "c" began in Latin as a letter that exclusively stood for the hard "k" sound. later european languages changed its phonology as they evolved.  

cinracwil

Woglinde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 pm
I like (In no particular order):
"American" R (when used properly), the hard "K" sounding "ch", "Rolled" r, Chinese's "Zh" and "x", Esperanto's "ĝ" (makes a "dj" sound) and "c" (like the 'ts' in "bits"), F (I like the sound of the Spanish verb "Fui". It's fun to say. Fui. whee ).
I also like pretty much all the sounds in the Greek language. (Seriously, Greek is like a goldmine of cool sounds to me heart )

I don't like:
"H"s that sound more like phlegm then an "H" (I feel like I'm gonna receive a loogie to the face gonk ), the long "a" sound, and gutteral "R"s... *shudders at the thought*  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff