Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply Gaia
Feiruza Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:50 am
User Image

Or: Not your average book store

CURRENT LOCATION: Port of Latent
You may have your character visit the ship, but with RL stuff having priority, I cannot promise a reply post following within a week or two.

>>A book should serve as the ax for the frozen sea within us.<<
- Franz Kafka

>>For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) - it's always ourselves we find in the sea.<<
- E. E. Cummings

>>I got bored of sitting on a rock out there 24/7.<<
- Lucind Varhetel, overhearing a conversation of two sailors expressing their indignation about a Siren going to sea

------------------------------

I. ~ Introduction ~
    II. What is this project about?
    III. The ship
    IV. The crew
    V. Et cetera

~ * ~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 am

I. Introduction
    II. ~ What is this project about? ~
    III. The ship
    IV. The crew
    V. Et cetera

User Image

A) PREHISTORY

B) HOW DOES IT WORK? WHAT CAN MY CHARACTER DO HERE?

c) HOW CAN THE FEIRUZA BE LOCATED?

A) PREHISTORY

Take a ship - an impressive, yet somewhat antique looking three-master.

Add lots of books.

Stir well. Et voila!

The easiest way to describe the Feiruza would be to say it is a swimming bookstore. But...there's just a bit more to it.

After running Feimurgan for around ten years - and after rebuilding it even -, Lucind feels it's about time for a change. Her widely known store has become a home. Yet, in this unstable time where new clashes arise more and more often, where wars are waged on all continents, the Siren yearns for a retreat, a place which allows her to gather her strength after fighting at the front line. There, so she hopes, she will also be able to find some peace, that is, to come to terms with herself after the past events forced the woman to ask herself what her duty in this world really is.

Moreover, it's the heritage of Lucind's human father which is calling to her. Alleck de Bergeuc was an antiquarian, well known for his collection of rare, precious, even magical books. In addition, Alleck published a few books himself: twelve travelogues report about the secluded, dangerous or simply breathtakingly beautiful places from all over Gaia. When de Bergeuc died around thirty years ago, he bequeathed all his belongings to his daughter.

Most of her father's special books Lucind kept hidden, though, and only few people ever got access to the secret library section of Feimurgan.

But after returning for a short while - the fight against Victor Fah seems to be over while The Forgotten One still commands his dark shades -, the Siren finds a letter of his father: written while he crossed one of Gaia's oceans.

So, what do you do when you plagued by a longing you can't fully fathom?

You search for a way to still it. (And in the meantime you drink huge amounts of coffe and tea and pester your friends and your love.)

The chance - or do we want to call it a sign? - presents itself when an unexpected guest comes to Latent in search of the Siren: it is Tagis, the female captain who had brought Lucind, Sunstrike, Owle and Vahn safely to Azum and back, around one and a half years ago.

It turns out that Tagis has given up her high position at the military in order to defend her home country against the invasions of undead and shades coming from the West wherever it was needed most. In the course of events it happened that the Feiruza, the ship with which Tagis and her crew patrolled Azum's East Coast, had been destroyed almost completely. Since she had heard that many shipping companies of Gaia were still running and because things had calmed down in the East, Tagis had decided to come there - also to visit Lucind.

During a night full of good food, wine and long talks, the Siren gets to know that the other woman hasn't arrived at Gaia's coast alone: Prishazan, a monk of the order of Urdug, is at Latent's port, searching for a new ship - all the while carrying a wooden piece of the old Feiruza with him, and this piece allegedly contains nothing less then the ship's soul (though Lucind strongly believes it to be c**k-and-bull-story to add some spice). This means, as Tagis explains it, that they don't just want to find a new ship. They want to bring back the Feiruza. And finally, after more wine, a spontaneous idea turns into an offer Lucind can't resist...

Five months later, Lucind is ready to start her new store, her new "job" - and actually, a whole new chapter of her live: Participating in Heaven or Hell 2009 ends for her in finding her truth, her true identity by finally accepting all aspects of her Siren nature, even the darkest sides.
Thus, she returns stronger, happier - and more dangerous than ever before, looking forward to hunt rare books, help lost souls and...enjoy everyday madness.

The first stock of books contains carefully chosen copies from Feimurgan's secret collection, including her father's travelogues.

B) HOW DOES IT WORK? WHAT CAN MY CHARACTER DO HERE?

Once your character has been granted permission to enter the second-hand bookstore, he/she might...

• ...obtain a book*. But beware: Not all books are for sale. Some are too precious for Lucind to give them away. Other books might be purchased by offering a bribe or a special prize, something just as valuable as the desired book: it could be another book, a bottle of old wine, a magical object or just a piece of useful information. Try your luck!

• ...exchange books. Like mentioned above, this is one way to get a book your character desires.

• ...ask for information or do research. You don't necessarily have to buy a book - also because many aren't sellable, like mentioned above. Unless Lucind has a reason to not trust your character's motives (which can, of course, only be based on IC knowledge and intuition), you can browse through all books.

You can, of course, ask for information if you're looking for a special book or any clue (concerning a person/place/beast/etc.) that might be found in old, partly long since forgotten tomes and scripts.

• ...consult Lucind's help, that is, her Siren powers. Treatment (if possible) of mental distress/disorders, curses, possessions etc.

NOTE: Concerning the books' content

• Not all books deal with magic or contain spells etc. I'd say around 30% of all volumes fall under this category.

• The other 70% of the books are diaries, bestiaries, novels, fairytale books, travelogues, non fiction (history, science, herbology etc.), biographies and so on.

• Feel free to come up with titles your character stumbles upon. I also happily accept a PM if you'd like to initiate a plot that includes a special book.
    But please don't let him or her coincidentally find a book with which you can call the end of the world. All books classified advanced/dangerous are in a special section (s. The Ship). Of course it can happen that Lucind doesn't know she's got a volume which is potentially harmful - but that's something we can, like mentioned above, discuss briefly beforehand^^

C) HOW CAN THE FEIRUZA BE LOCATED?

In the very first post you find the current location of the ship.

This will be either a town/harbor - or the open sea.

In the case of the latter there'll soon be a way to call the Feiruza. I'm going to introduce something like charms, holding a tiny splinter of the ship, which has been turned into a magical transmitter. Thus, those people who own such a charm - and I don't intend to give away too many of them -, can contact the ship (that is, Prishazan) and make it appear in a natural water source....which should ideally be a sea, ocean, lake or broad river.

* ((The Feiruza bookstore also holds many scrolls and scripts, but for the sake of making it easy and plain, I'm just talking about books.))  

Lucind Varhetel

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:54 am
    I. Introduction
    III. ~ The ship ~
    IV. The crew
    V. Et cetera

User Image

User Image

((The figurehead looks different though: It's a grotesque, consisting of a dragon head, angel wings, female body clad in a tunic, one foot is a lion's paw, the other a hoof.))

A sketch Lucind did to present the ship's design

User Image
(Click for larger version)

A few notes:

* The Feiruza sports some modern life luxury, such as power generators to run the water supply, a frigde/freezing room, one computer plus equipment (located in the actual store), kitchen utilities, one or two power outlets per room

* The books, that is, the rooms they're in are magically protected. In what ways will be revealed at the right moment.

[tbc]  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 am

I. Introduction
    III. The ship
    IV. ~ The crew ~
    V. Et cetera

::LUCIND VARHETEL::

Siren
Female
About 90 years old
5'4"
Born in Gaia (Westcoast, Magpie Valley)

Task/position: Bookseller/book dealer, healer/therapist, taking care of one half of the crew's earnings

((Detailed profile))

::TAGIS::

Human
Female
31 years old
5'11"
Born in Azum

Hair: Deep black, not longer than 2inches, a bunch of dreads in her neck
Eyes: Grayish blue
Complexion: Fair, Caucasian appearance despite her birthplace
Build: Slender, less female curves than Lu, toned muscles

Task/position: Captain, looking after the crew/ship, 'normal' navigating, making money with trading

Else: Extreme agile and lively woman, whirlwind incarnated, hardly ever in a real bad mood - but if she gets angry with you, run for your life if you want to keep it

::PRISHAZAN::

Human
Male
Age unknown (looks like in his early forties)
6'3"
Born in Meshkat

Hair: Always shaved head
Eyes: Darkest brown
Complexion: Tanned, Egyptian appearance
Build: Broad, impressive, well-muscled
Special: A skillful net of Far Eastern patterns is tattooed all over his body, except from his face [x][x] (less floral, though)[x]

Task/position: Navigating (especially when the weather's rough), protecting the ship (and the crew) with his symbiotic magic

Else: Prishazan never goes ashore; he belongs to the Brothers of Urdug, a monk order living in symbiosis with the so called "Vikra", an ancient class of sylphs; extremely quiet, not grumpy though, just speaks when he finds it necessary  

Lucind Varhetel

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

I. Introduction
    III. The ship
    IV. The crew
    V. ~ Et cetera ~

~*~ NEWS ~*~

March 29th, 09: Most of the basic descriptions are up and the thread is transfered to Levi.

November 8th, 08: Got the awesome tag from Ecks X.

October 4rd, 08: Thread was created. Rejoice!

~*~ PLAY NICE, STAY SAFE ~*~

There's not much to say to this: Gaia's ToS are in order here yadda yadda be nice or be kicked.

~*~ AFFILIATES ~*~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:36 pm
[reserved]

Lucind Varhetel

Trey-Stevens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm
"So that is the Feiruza..."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
In the large port of Latent a man dressed in a torn green leather jacket and black jeans stood looking across at this moving library. Dragging on the cigarette between his lips one last time he took the butt from his mouth and put it out on the sole of his dark green shoes. A large cloud of smoke soon erupted from his lips and into the cool morning air. Walking forward past the few people walking around the man headed towards the boat.

A few people may know this mans name. He wasn't a famous musician, nor was he famous leader of some kind, no, we was just an every day fighter. He has however participated in a few tournaments, one which he got a good placing in. The Elemental Kings Society's tournament, a few months back. Those who saw this would know him as Trey Stevens. But since then he had grown and become much more mature than how he was before. It wasn't all in his appearance though, more so an aura about him that he gave out.

But what business did Trey have with the Feiruza?

Reaching the dock which the boat was situated at Trey headed towards the plank onto the boat. Looking up at the quiet boat Trey wondered, was anybody even on it. He didn't want to get on and get attacked by some half naked woman, but how else would he find out if there was anybody? So onto the plank he walked and then onto the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:05 pm
Earlier that day

Most of the crates were empty - and those that weren't were emptied into boxes, unless the oceanic, that is fishy content wasn't edible anymore: then, all the fishes and seafood wandered into containers and from there ended in some process of annihilation.
Stands were taken down and all Lucind could hear from her point on deck were the rough voices of the merchants.

The Siren had bought devilfish and scampi which Prishazan would serve for lunch in a couple of hours. She had offered to cook herself but the monk had insisted he do it - he was in a particulary outgoing mood on that day. Lu even thought he showed the tiniest smile when she peeked in to see if her last order (snuggly bedclothes) had arrived.
Therefore, she was now climbing up to the crow's nest, where she would enjoy the soft motion of the main mast swaying from one side to the other. Once up there, it seemed she was observing the ships in the distant and those entering Latent's port, when in fact she listened to the news the two winds brought her: the physical one that touched her face and his spiritual brother which rode the waves of the lhor aven.

Three days ago, she had shattered every single piece made of glass within Maximos' suite in her wake, in her self-exoneration. Her soul still felt a bit raw from the intense strain, and Lu knew it would still tremble from time to time in the face of things her armor of twisted morality would've denied or repelled. But...she was free. She felt strong. The darkness in her no longer ridiculed her for desperately putting it in place. She loved and was loved. Unconditionally.

A life like she lead would never be easy. But it was good; a new chapter had just started.

Losing herself in this feeling, Lucind started singing, strong and proud. (She stopped, though, when she noticed that after a few minutes, a couple of the ships obviously had problems holding their heading. She chuckled and decided to be more careful in this area - otherwise they would've problems with anchoring in Port Latent.)

When Tagis arrived she left her place to greet her friend and business partner. And just like Prishazan, the short haired woman gave her the same look, the same serene smile until, when they sat together in Tagis' rooms over jasmine tea, she said:
"I see that now you're really ready to take over your new position on this ship. - I'm glad for you."
Later, Tagis would ask what had happened, but in that moment, she was more than content with the Siren's relaxed self and those peculiar swirls in her amber eyes.

"Yes.

Yes, I'm ready."

An hour later, the three of them had lunch while discussing the possible applicants for the remaining places on board.

At some point Lucind's ears wiggled.
"Someone's outside."
Tagis raised a brow. "Do we still have open orders?"
"Not that I know of."
Prishazan remained silent, enjoying the shrimps he had marinated in honey and mango syrup.
It was Lucind who got up to see who was entering the Feiruza.

Outside, she found Trey scanning the deck.

"Can I help you, sir?"  

Lucind Varhetel

Trey-Stevens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:55 pm
Trey stopped in his tracks at the sounds of a womans voice. The voice was beautiful, so soothing like the sounds of the sea, minus the squaking birds and what not. Turning to the woman Trey's eyes laid upon Lucind.

"Well hopefully you can, I've heard of this place a few times and have heard it is great for finding old books and such. For the past months I've been searching for this..."

His hand went into the inside of his green jacket and pulled out a piece of parchment. Carefully unrolling it he walked over to the woman and showed her what was on the paper. On one side was a bit of writing, too worn to read. But on the other was of a pair of fearsome looking gauntlets, some of the picture had worn away with time but it was still pretty distinguishable. After showing the picture he would continue,

"It's a pair of gauntlets that have a great power to them. Well from what I've heard this power would to some be useless, to others like myself great. But this one picture is out of an old book that I am yet to find. I want to find out where these gauntlets are. I probably look pretty cliche, coming to a book store to find a book on some armour. But I see them in my dreams, they call for me. Do you think you could help me?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:26 am
Lucind carefully took the parchment in her hands, examining it from all sides, testing its thickness and composition, as well as the ink, the font and the illustration.

"Where did you find this page? Were you given any hints concerning the possible origin of the book...not it's location, but where its home is? And the gauntlets..." The Siren held the piece of paper against the sun. "I should be able to recontruct the text, but maybe you already know their name or history."

She smiled at Trey politely, passing the page. "If you don't mind I'd like to keep this for a few hours. Afterwards I'll be able to tell you more - though I cannot promise to gather enough information for locating the gauntlets within a single day. This kind of parchment is rare, not made for mass publication. However, I fear it wasn't only used on this continent.

But you say you see these in your dreams - and that I call an omen one mustn't ignore. So I'll help you as best as I can."

The woman gestured towards the bridge.

"If you like I can show you around a bit so you can see your find is in good hands here.

Oh, speaking of which. Where did you hear of the Feiruza? I mean, the ship's been anchoring here for several months to get repaired, but so far we haven't even made it out of this port..."

The Siren assumed it partly had something to do with her being known for a book expert - and her book cafe and library in Latent. Aside from that, Tagis had a huge network no matter which town her and Lucind had visited together so far. Thus the long work on the ship, all those orders and calling upon all sort of services (be it for carpenter's or mage's work) to get the Feiruza ready for crossing large distances unnaturally fast, had probably spread the word of Lucind's new business before it was even officially opened.

((You couldn't know I hadn't yet opened the thread, but no worries there!! Thanks to almost everybody being busy with HoH I just didn't expect someone to post already. But yer very welcome!))  

Lucind Varhetel

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:13 pm
A week later - One day after round 5 of HoH

It was five in the afternoon. Actually, a couple of minutes past. But Maximos was on time, as much as a gentleman could be. Lucind had asked him to come to the Feiruza at this time, to have dinner - and to celebrate the ship was ready to set sail for the first time since it had been revamped.

It was a few minutes past five in the afternoon - and it was already getting cool outside, for especially at Port Latent a chilly wind brought in from the open sea filled every corner and hole.

Exactly at the same time with Maximos, Tagis would arrive at the anchorage: The energetic woman with the short, black hair waved at the Shadow, carrying a package under one arm.
"Maximos! How is it goin'?" She grinned and waited for him to reach the plank that would bring them aboard. Seeing her relaxed and casual like this, some might have problems believing that Tagis had been a high ranked army member in Azum, who had led people into dangerous missions and war.

"Lucind will be here in ten, fifteen minutes. She was held up at a friend's shop."

Once on deck, Tagis' attention turned to Prishazan who was instructing two men at the bow. "Could you do me a favor and bring this package to Lu's room? Just place it on her desk. That'd be really kind..."

Granted Maximos was willing to do what she had asked for, he would find his girlfriend's room* completely silent; tidy, but not pedanticly, with personal items lying around; a plate with crumbs and a mug with the last sip of coffee - the remnants of a breakfast stood on the bedside table. The late sunlight bathed furniture and walls in shades of orange. It was there where Lucind kept the books she had inherited from her father and those she wasn't willing to give away for other reasons.

No sooner than Max had placed the package (which was about ten inches long and eight inches high) on the table, he would hear a muffled voice.
"Mhh-hmm...!"

Yes. It was coming from within the parcel!

And then it would start moving ever so slightly, as if something within tried to break free.

But it was very likely that Maximos had noticed there was something going on with this delivery for the Siren right from the beginning. There was magic at work. Hostile. But not on the level of power where it could threaten a "normal" person without any nonhuman abilities.
Still, the question remained: What was in there?

((* Lucind's room would be part a) of the sketch you can now find in the "The Ship" post above; you have to walk upstairs to get there...in case my drawing doesn't show it that clearly XP))  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:42 pm
Some called it being fashionably late, others thought that if you arrived at place precisely on time you appeared far too formal. But for Maximos, who walked up eyeing his pocket watch, which clearly read five o'clock, it was another matter all together. Older watches just were not as accurate as these new steel magic affairs, and he had entirely misjudged the midday traffic.

Yet still, he arrived. Max wore a formal knee length dress coat, black, with a black vest beneath it, a white dress shirt, and a dark blue tie, which matched his dark blue hair. All he was missing was his top hat, but the shore was too windy for hats. Everything was of course pressed and clean, and while he walked, he held his pocketwatch in one hand, and two wine bottles in the other. Something about tradition when christening a new ship. Though it seemed a shape that the ship got all the drink, thus a second bottle.

Much to his shame, while inspecting the ticking device he had nearly entirely missed that someone else was also arriving. That was until she said.

"Maximos! How is it goin'?"

Almost startled he looked up, snapping the watch shut and slipping it back in his pocket so that he would properly wave. A smile spread across his face reaching all the way up to his mismatched eyes.

Hello there Miss Tagis!

Tagis, as an individual always surprised, and in a way impressed Max. She seemed so happy, so energetic, and with the way she spoke so very relaxed. But he knew better. Even if not for what Lucind had told him, he could see it on her. There was a look about someone, about their soul, about their face, when they've seen death and war. It marks you. Her hands were not the soft hands of an artist, but the worn and tried hands of a soldier. Perhaps she had found a way to be a person, after being a soldier. Perhaps she hid the darkness behind all that energy. Either way, it didnt matter, Maximos still found her ability to do so, so well, impressive. And it never ceased to surprise him.

The two met at the plank, and as could be expected Maximos very formally bowed and waved his free hand toward the length of wood and said.

Ladies first.

And would of course wait for Tagis to step up before coming up after her. That was simply the way it was done.

"Lucind will be here in ten, fifteen minutes. She was held up at a friend's shop."

Not a problem.

He warmly responded, after a deep breath, taking in the salty air. He'd always had a sort of fascination with the sea, but never had the opportunity to actually experience it as a sailor might. Already, the eyepatch in his breast pocket felt like it was stirring, egging him to let it be set free. But, as a true gentleman he resisted.

That gives me a chance to see what you've done with the place.

On deck, Max became a lost and curious child. He was almost immediately wandering off with a look of amazement on his face. He'd been on boats before, but not this big. His hand ran softly over the mast, it brushed against the ropes, he was about to trip over some stairs when Tagis spoke again.

"Could you do me a favor and bring this package to Lu's room? Just place it on her desk. That'd be really kind..."

Max, snapped from his reverie, turned to the woman with a bright smile and said.

Sure!

And immediately reached his hand out to accept the package. It wasnt until she placed it in his right hand that he actually realized something was askew here. A sort of chill shot up his arm, and down his spine. Maximos' eyebrow cocked, as he began to turn away toward Lucind's room. The box, felt like it was trying to eat him, but it was about as dangerous as a kitten gnawing at ones fingertips. It wasnt threatening, but it was interesting. So interesting infact, that it wasnt until Maximos had made several steps toward Lucind's room, that he made a realization, and spun immediately around on his heels. Embarassment flushed his pale cheeks as he spoke.

Excuse me, Miss Tagis? Em...where is, Lucind's room?

And then he was off. The ship was beautiful, every experience was a treat. From the dim candle and lamp lights, to the creak of wood, to the way the entire ship slightly bobbed in the weaker waves. It really gave one the feeling they were at the oceans mercy, at her whim, he could imagine how it would be sort of liberating. Swimming in the knowledge that no matter your worries or concerns or strengths, you are not bigger than the ocean, and it has you. The scent reminded him of home, of a quiet shoreline and a beautiful beach sunset.

There was a smile on the mans face that simply could not be put down. Even when he, according to instructions went upstairs, turned and proudly entered the room, and found himself confused as to why there was no desk. No office. No books. There were clothes, which Maximos, having seen Lucind without simply could not imagine her minding if he touched...But these clothes werent anything he had ever seen her wear. It took Maximos a good solid minute or two before his face turned blood red, and he exited Tagis' room, realizing he should have gone all the way upstairs.

By now, the package in his hand had begun to serious naw on him. There was something inside of it, but not something that was his. The Shadow was equal parts curious child, and gentlemen. Every curious part of him said he was close enough to Lucind to open it, but the gentleman said no. And thus, in his mind, there was conflict, which resulted in Max twirling the package eagerly in his hands as he climbed the stairway.

At the top, he was struck with familiarity in all of its forms. The room looked Lucind's style. It smelled like her, it even felt like her. Lucind...and home...It made him smile all the more. His eyes glanced over the rarer, more valuable books, and then, relaxed in the idea the conflict was over and the delivery was home, Max set the package down beside the recently used mug, sliding aside the crumb adorned plate.

His eyes were already returning to the book shelf with eager curiousity, but, no sooner than Max had placed the package on the table, it spoke.

"Mhh-hmm...!"

And as his eye snapped open wide and stared at it, it moved. And it fought, and it was trying to escape! Had she ordered them a snack? Was this some monster book of monsters? In an instant, the Shadow was at war. His inner conflict was now a full on battle. He had to know. But he couldnt. He wanted to tear it open. But he should probably have just left the room.

His hand, fell idly on the table, as his eyes darted back and forth from the doorway to any portholes, then back to the door. Fingers moved like spider legs to the fidgeting box. A fingernail carefully scratched at the corner of its wrapping...paper tore with a soft sound. Wood creaked and Max suddenly froze.

He looked back at the package, with its single torn edge. He set the two bottles of wine down on her desk, and with both hands pressed the torn edge down. Inside he chided himself for being such a child...

He let out a defeated sigh.

And then without further notice proceeded to, unless otherwise hindered, shred and rip and tear the packaging off of the actual package, in a rain of torn paper sprinkles.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 am
Excuse me, Miss Tagis? Em...where is, Lucind's room?

"...oh, right!" Tagis chuckled. "Sorry. The last time you were here we hadn't yet decided who would get which room! It's right over there, upstairs. - And thank you!" She nodded at the package.
A moment later, when she had joined Prishazan and two of the four sailor's they had hired, the woman noticed with a big, fat grin on her lips that Maximos entered the wrong area - but she refrained from saying anything, since pointing out his mistake would only make him feel more embarassed.

With the layers of paper gone, there was now a wooden box sitting in front of Max, its top fastened with several nails. For a moment, the twitching stopped - before it resumed more vehemently. And without the wrapping the voice from within became clearer: There was growling and grumbling and something that even sounded like, "Let me out...c'mon! Lemme out!"
And whatever was inside went on pressing against all sides of its prison, as if it stretched and elongated until the first nails slightly gave in. Noticing right that, the box moved and wobbled so hard that, if Maximos didn't do something, it would fall off the desk. Granted the Shadow wouldn't allow that and finally peek inside, he found, beneath a lot of wood wool - a teapot. With dragon features. Made of the finest china.

Once more: silence. Before...

"You're not the fastest, Mister, I have to say!"

The indignant voice come from within. But if Max bothered to lift the lid he would find the pot completely empty. Instead, the thing flapped its wings out of a sudden, spreading some wood wool over the table.

"Or are you scared? Hah! Don't worry! I'm not as fearsome as I might appear to your eyes - I'm even worse - gruaaaah!"

Now, the dragon pot even turned its head with its tiny ears and - looked anything but dangerous, also because the voice wasn't exactly deep and authortarian (yet not squeaky). Still, Maximos would feel that there was more to this unusual item, even if he wasn't yet able to put a finger on it. Yet.

"So, where am I here, huh? Where's that funny eared lady? I was given to her as an additional payment - payment, me! Why doesn't she welcome me herself?
Oh and, how much longer do you want me to stay in this...disgusting thing?
"

It wouldn't try anything funny if Maximos took it from the wooden crate, but looked around the room, mumbling incoherently, before commenting:
"Well, well. I had expected some more comfort. But I guess it could've been even more below my standards."

It went on like this until Lucind's voice could be heard calling out for the others outside, probably some form of gretting.
The dragon fell silent - and the moment the Siren entered, it wouldn't move. Not a millimeter.

"Hey." A happy smile appeared on Lu's lips. She walked over to Maximos. "Ah, you already discovered my new teapot!" She wasn't upset in any way that he had opened the package. "Cute, isn't it?" With that, she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned in for a firm kiss. And a soft one that followed right after.
She then made her way to the post in the backmost part of her room which was covered with wood and sported some hooks at one side on which of one she placed her coat. Not without wincing ever so slightly when she had to roll her right shoulder: Only yesterday, Izzy's knife had been planted in there, tearing flesh and scraping along the bone. In addition, there was still a mild lump on the side of her head and some more scratches and bruises - but the bandaged shoulder stuck out most.

"You're looking good." She tilted her head while examining his outift. "Guess I should change into something nicer, too." The Siren grinned while looking down at herself: her clothes, that is, the way she combined them looked stylish with the skirt over the pants and what not, but not as elegant as the Shadow's arrangment.

"Like some tea? Dinner won't be ready before six." In front of the side of the post that faced the windows, there was a chest of drawers and on it, among other things, an electric water heater and several small caddies. She reached around to open one of them and sniff its content.

All the while, the teapot had just been that: a teapot. Or no, not quite. Once Lu had turned around, its tail leashed out, trying to hit Max.

But when the Siren mentioned tea, it burst out of him:

"What?! You don't even greet me like I deserve and now you directly want to use me?? That is...that is...imperrrtinent!!"

With the first word, Lucind shot around, automatically taking a stance that made her ready to attack - something that managed to sneak in without making any sounds and thus fooling her Siren ears usually meant trouble. The strain made her wince again, but she was focussed. And a second later, extremely confused.

"..."

She stared. And blinked. And relaxed. Watched the tea pot stretching its china wings and looking at her, no, glaring (how that was possible when it didn't even had eyes but only tiny dents to mark those was another question).
Lucind's eyes wandered up to the Shadow, back to the teapot.

"Excuse me...?"

For a split second the woman asked herself if Maximos was just playing a prank - but something like this really wasn't his style.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 am
Paper flew like confetti, the stately shadow had all but lost himself in the childish and utterly destructive act of tearing paper from the box. Bit by bit the box was revealed and when the package went mysteriously still Maximos was entirely sure the paper must have been enchanted.

And then suddenly it was still no longer. The violent shaking did not in truth phase him, but the enigmatic package took things a step farther...

"Let me out...c'mon! Lemme out!"

It spoke! Both of his hand suddenly leaped off the box as if it was scalding hot. For a moment everything in his mind said, exactly what it was trained to automatically say in the face of the supernatural. That is impossible. That didnt happen. This isnt happening. But there it was, shaking and rattling and moving all on its own. Box's dont talk. And either way, it was probably best to leave this box alone. Wood croaked and Max leaned back about to step away from the table entirely when the box jumped. Instinct overtook reason, his hands snapped into action and caught the box before it met a grizzly end. Something solid softly rattled inside.

And then, once more: silence.

Now it was in his hands again, as if it had leaped out to keep him from departing. It was still and silent, and in the wake of such silence Maximos all be convinced himself he must be imagining things. Sleep, was not exactly a commodity he had been indulging in recently, this was all in his head. This was just a harmless little old package! He wedged his fingers under the lid and slid whipped it open with a flourish. In a few seconds large tan cloud-puffs of wood wool lay on either side of the box, and Maximos was admiring what appeared to be a very stylized far eastern tea pot....brimming with low-grade hostile magic. And just when he was completely ready to accept that the universe was functioning in proper order, but he was malfunctioning...

"You're not the fastest, Mister, I have to say!"

The indignant voice come from within. Max sort of froze. His hands were splayed out on either side of the box, and he stood blinking. In shock. The creatures words did not sink, not at first, Max was still hung up on the fact that it spoke. And , the thing flapped its wings out all of a sudden, spreading some excess wood wool over the table.

"Or are you scared? Hah! Don't worry! I'm not as fearsome as I might appear to your eyes - I'm even worse - gruaaaah!"

Max might have stood in shock, with the fact that it was speaking, if not for the way it spoke. Its tone. Its choice of words, slowly they sunk in. And all together they grated against him. They were so...so...rude! Max simply could not tolerate rudeness. His annoyance, washed over his surprise and with it brought other realizations. That Maximos himself was a man from another world, capable of moving shadows, he had enchanted a hundred items for sale in his shop to everything from fly, to fight, he had met Death itself....he really shouldnt be so shocked. Instead of surprised, Max found himself experiencing another emotion all together. His arms folded across his chest, the box lid in one hand, gently wrapping against his arm as he spoke.

Possibly. I supposed if my performance was not satisfactory, I can always seal you back up nice and comfortable in that box and move you to a closet somewhere until I can deal with my overwhelming fear, and then perhaps release you in a more timely manner...

Something about this was off, and not just in a magical way. He didnt expect the dragon would answer, instead he simply cocked an eyebrow and let it continue, interjecting only where he thought necessary.

"So, where am I here, huh?
On a boat.
Where's that funny eared lady?
Pardon?

That question was, akin to walking out in the center of Durem Square, and asking where the meta-humans were. Over half the Gaian population had strange ears, and more over Max simply refused to concede to the idea Lucind's ears were strange. He had, from meeting her, always found them cute. Just as he was, from meeting it, finding this dragon quite...unpleasant. Max did not like dragons. Max did not like rude people. Together...

I was given to her as an additional payment - payment, me! Why doesn't she welcome me herself?
I do believe she may have been cheated.
Oh and, how much longer do you want me to stay in this...disgusting thing?"

A vein, like a fat worm was visible throbbing in Maximos' forehead as he coldly bit back.

Until you learn some manners.

Needless to say, Max had no intentions of removing it from the box, though he did remove more of the excess wood wool and place it in a nearby trash bin, so as to keep the talking kitchen accessory from making more of a mess. And inadvertently likely giving it a better view of its surroundings.

"Well, well. I had expected some more comfort. But I guess it could've been even more below my standards."

With a sort of frustrated grunt which rolled effortlessly into a sigh. If the dragon continued to talk, Max didnt respond, he had taken to rubbing his temples. And it went on like this until he heard Lucind's voice calling out for the others outside. The dragon fell silent - and the moment the Siren entered, it didnt move. Max's squinted at the box as if he could see through the lid at sneaky game the pot was playing. But if meant it was quiet, he let it have its fun.

"Hey."
Hello my dear.

Maximos said, as the smiling Siren approached. His voice warm and smooth. Her smile, was met by a bright one of his own.

"Ah, you already discovered my new teapot!"

Before she could continue, the gentleman in Max was already diving into a confession.

Yes, I'm very sorry, Ms. Tagis asked me to bring it up here and then...

And then he realized she wasnt angry, there wasnt a hint of even the slightest offense on her face. His words just sort of trailed off into silence.

"Cute, isn't it?"

Max's smile sort of flattened into a flat line, he was about to state an opinion quite opposite to hers when she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned in for a firm kiss. Which brought his smile back, and a tad bit of blush. And a soft one that followed right after. Sort of like a signature.

And then she was off to hang up her coat, and his cheeks were flushed red. He watched her slide off her coat, and saw it almost immediately. Blame predatory instincts for allowing on the uncanny ability to spot a weakness. Max caught he wince, then found the bandages, and when her face turned at just the right angle he saw the slight lump on her head.

"You're looking good."

She said, she was examining him, just as he was examining her. As ettiquette demanded Maximos immediately said.

Thank you!

Which was not, in her current condition what he was thinking. What he was actually thinking was closer to what he said after the Siren responded...

"Guess I should change into something nicer, too."

...At which point Maximos brought up both of his hands waving the very idea away as if entirely unthinkable. Maximos did not see her injuries as flaws or negatives. He saw them, in the same way he saw scars. They were marks of honor, of survival, of strength, they were beautiful. He hadnt the words or breath to describe to her the poetry in motion that was her soft wince. She had taken them away both away. Without injuries she was beautiful. With them...

Not at all. You look absolutely astonishing, as always my dear.

And she did truly Lucind had a style all her own, and a real way with clothing. Most of Maximos' outfits were either designed by Walter or were things he had simply been trained in the art of wearing. A jacket, gets a tie, gets a vest, gets so forth and so on. The formality of his anachronistic garb, never struck him as formal at all. Simply, normal. And then, his mind was drawn from fashion to something far more interesting.

"Like some tea? Dinner won't be ready before six."
Indeed! I would love so--ow!

It. Hit. Him! Now Max was no wuss when it came to pain, but a hard possibly porcelain whiplike tail snapping ones bare knuckles...that stung! And he wasnt expecting it at all! With a swipe of his hand his fingers curled around the offending tail, and just under his breath he hissed down to the teapot on single word.

Manners!

But that did nothing to stop it.

"What?! You don't even greet me like I deserve and now you directly want to use me?? That is...that is...imperrrtinent!!"

Lucind whipped around, painfully. Max's mismatched eyes glared down at the two indented black holes the pot called eyes. If looks could kill, it would have shattered.

"..."

She stared. And blinked. And relaxed. And Max, with all the formality of an exterminator holding up a dead rat, Max heft the teapot unceremoniously up by its tail. Whether it chose to flail or speak, or remain pot-like, Max pointed at it awkwardly.

"Excuse me...?"

Lucind, dearest, I think you've received a tad bit more than you bargained for...  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 am
"Like some tea? Dinner won't be ready before six."
Indeed! I would love so--ow!

With her back towards Max, it sounded to her as if her boyfriend had made a gesture to stress his affirmation and accidentally hit the teapot, although he sounded a tad too angry for such a simple mishap. She smiled lightly - but then wanted to ask if something was the matter when she heard him demanding manners from...himself?

Then the dragon pot scolded her.

Lucind whipped around, painfully. Max's mismatched eyes glared down at the two indented black holes the pot called eyes. Now she began to understand his expression when she had called the piece of china cute, as well as the Shadow's hissed word.

Lucind, dearest, I think you've received a tad bit more than you bargained for...

"I don't think Mrs Maeson had any idea what she had been using to prepare tea for all those years," Lucind mumbled as she slowly took the few steps over to the table. She frowned and leaned in to get a better look at the teapot that struggled in Maximos' grip: it wriggled and twisted and flapped its wings, exclaiming incoherent protests. When Lu's comment sank in, however, it held still...almost still (it still pretended it was damn close to reach up to the man's fingers and bite them).

"Of course not! Her intelligence only worked when it came to buying excellent blends. And then those tea parties she had with her lady friends..." He rolled his eyes. At least the way those two indents deformed made it look like it. "I've heard enough about grandchildren, pills, little aches and pains or old lady gossip for the rest. Of. My. Life." A sigh.

The Siren was still staring, but a brow was cocked.
"So. What are you?"

"What do you mean: What? I always thought it was quite clear that I'm teapot. Tea. Pot. Tss..."

Lu exchanged a look with Max. She smiled. It seemed to be friendly. But the Shadow would recognize this particular smile. It promised danger and signalized she wasn't exactly in the right mood for endless discussions or lenience. "Then tell me who you are...please." Oh so soft came the Siren's voice.

"I - am...I aaaaam..." The dragon pot started dramatically, puffed itself up. But fell silent. If Maximos was still holding it by its tail, it would hang their all floppily. Otherwise, the head would lower a little as if the living china had to think over the question.
Eventually, its eyes narrowed and with not too less arrogance it finally announced:
"I do not think that my name is of any interest for you."

"..."

Wrong answer.

The dragon didn't even find the time to gasp when Lu's right shot forward to grab its neck. She didn't press overly hard - and even if, she doubted one could finish this thing off by strangulation -, still the teapot choked a bit, stopped however when it realized it wouldn't have any effect.

"Listen, my friend." Each word was accomapanied by the same threatening softness. The Shadow might get the impression the dragon was stunned, if not scared the way it was so close to Lucind's eerie smile. "This here will only work one way: my way. Respect the ship, respect the crew - or chose a new form of imprisonment. And I sure won't give you away until we've found out what you're made of...or if, in the end, you're nothing more than a grumpy, rude little piece of china.
And one thing more. The sea is damn deep. Bare that in mind."

The dragon's tiny muzzle was closed, opened, closed again. Was it speechless? Trying hard to come up with new insults? It stuttered something.

"Savvy?"

The teapot stared. Unblinking.

And: It blushed. This time, probably both Max and Lu wondered if this was merely in their heads, but something about the dragon made it clear he was blushing. Heavily so.

"A...aye. I mean, yes Ma'am." He cleared his throat, seemingly scolding himself for his weakness. And finding back a bit of his old tone, he added: "Well, fine then. We have an agreement. - But don't think I'll be your servant from now on...!"

"We'll see." Here, Lucind grinned a little.

Holding back another snappy answer, the dragon simply said: "Well, well. My name, by the way, is Fletcher. Oswald Fletcher."

"I'm Lucind Varhetel. And this here is Maximos Dark. He practically belongs to the crew. For that and many other reasons I expect you to treat him with the highest respect, too, Mr Fletcher." Once more, she leaned in close - the dragon blushed all over again.
"Max, any wishes for the tea?" She turned around to finally start the water heater which stood on the chest of drawers which again was snuggled against the post close to the room's windows.

Of course, Mr Fletcher wouldn't turn into a saint right then and there, so when Lucind focussed on putting loose tea into a cotton bag, the teapot stuck its tongue out at Maximos...if it had a tongue. But it made sounds that reminded you exactly of this gesture: it was a mixture of hissing and blll-lll-blllalallll. This was accompanied by a gleeful look.

"Stop this instantly or you'll have to deal with this."

Mr Oswald Fletcher gasped, even jerked his head back, his eyes wide in shock: Lucind, glaring over her shoulder, was holding up an industrially made tea bag.

"No! Please...everything, but not THAT!!"

Half a minute later, Lucind poured boiling water into a teapot that was peaceful like a lamb. For now.

A knock on the door. Lucind asked to come in, knowing it was Prishazan after hearing his steps on the stairs. The tall, muscular monk walked around the shelves and before he indicated what he wanted, he greeted Maximos by lifting a hand to his chest, the finger tips pointing upwards, and nodded lightly.
Then he pulled a glass vial from his leather waistcoast and passed it to Lucind. "The cleansed water."

"Thank you very much!" She smiled at him broadly. "This lump really gets on my nerves, because a keep on forgetting it's there...which means a lot of ouch when I brush my hair or lie down. - I'll use it right now."

Prishazan nodded at Lucind. "You're welcome, as always." He turned towards Maximos once more. "Mr Dark, I don't know if you have decided to join our test journey tomorrow yet - but if so, I would like to ask a favor."  
Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff