Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Hellsing Organization

Back to Guilds

For fans of Hellsing, Millennium, vampires, and related topics. 

Tags: Hellsing, Alucard, vampires, anime, manga 

Reply Media Room (anime, music, manga, series with Hellsing-related themes)
Hellsing's Timeline

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NoLifeKing66

6,825 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:51 am
Hellsing's timeline has been a subject of much debate in the past. The recently released trailer for OVA VI, which states that the events of Hellsing take place in 1999, has rekindled that debate in the Hiranomoe forums, so I figured I'd bring the debate here so that I could see what my fellow guild members thought about it.

This is what we know about Hellsing's history:

1) Alucard, as Vlad, became a vampire in 1476.
2) Alucard, as Dracula, invaded London in 1898.
3) Arthur sent Walter and Alucard to Warsaw, Poland, in September of 1944.
4) Alucard was sealed away in the Hellsing Mansion's sublevels at least 20 years before Integra released him.
5) Integra was born 12 years before she released Alucard.
6) Integra released Alucard 10 years before the events of Hellsing began.

Since Hellsing was published in 1997, some people have said that the events of Hellsing take place in 1997 (some people also do his with Dracula). However, it is said in the first chapter that the vampire priest arrived in Cheddar Village on Wednesday, June 14. If that is true, then Hellsing could not possibly have taken place in 1997, because June 14 fell on a Sunday in 1997. The closest years to a contemporary setting in which June 14 fell on a Wednesday are 1995 and 2000.

This is what we know about Hellsing itself:

1) The vampire priest arrived in Cheddar Village on Wednesday, June 14th, in 1995 or 2000.
2) Maxwell interrogated the bishop in July of 1999.
3) Millennium attacked London 523 years after Alucard became a vampire.
4) Alucard returned in 2030.

If we add 523 to 1476, we get 1999, so 2 and 3 support a setting in 1999. Since it's unlikely that Seras was with the Hellsing Organization for 5 years before Millennium's attack, 1 and 4 support a setting in 2000. 2 could also support a setting in 2000, while 4 could also support a setting in 1999, assuming that Integra's "30 long years" was approximate, not exact. 1 and 3, however, are irreconcilable. All along, I've been trying to do the same thing that I did with Dracula (in Dracula, Mina mentions that September 22 was a Thursday, meaning that the events of the novel take place in 1893, a year in with September 22 was a Thursday). Unfortunately, since Hirano gives us two irreconcilable dates, it's impossible (it's the same case with Frankenstein). They cannot both be true.

If Hirano had not given us the exact day upon which the vampire priest arrived on Cheddar Village, we could easily say that Hellsing takes place in 1999.

In the end, I think there's only one option: we have to ignore Wednesday.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:29 pm
My head's spinning. @.@  

ShadowsHeir

Atomu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:56 pm
Well, if we knew Integra's exact age, then we could figure out her birth year! Since Islands said she was only about 11-12 when she released Alucard, and she released Alucard in '89, right? That would put her at like, 1977, RIGHT?

Anyway, how come we can't tell when Alucard was sealed? Wasn't it twenty years before Integra released him?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:19 am
Soleil de Midi
Well, if we knew Integra's exact age, then we could figure out her birth year! Since Islands said she was only about 11-12 when she released Alucard, and she released Alucard in '89, right? That would put her at like, 1977, RIGHT?

Islands says in Volume 9 that Integra was barely 12 when she released Alucard and became his master, which means that she's 22 in the main storyline and 52 in the epilogue. If we ignore Wednesday and say that the main storyline takes place in 1999, then yes, it's probably safe to say that Integra was born in 1977. 3nodding

Soleil de Midi
Anyway, how come we can't tell when Alucard was sealed? Wasn't it twenty years before Integra released him?

I just re-read "Master of Monster". In it, Richard's henchmen say that the sublevels in which Alucard is imprisoned haven't been used in 20 years. That doesn't necessarily mean that Alucard was imprisoned 20 years ago, but it could, if we assume that Hirano was speaking to us through Richard's henchmen in the same way that he was speaking to us through Islands when he revealed Walter's betrayal in 1944. In light of this new evidence, I'll edit my original post. Thanks for making me rethink this. biggrin  

NoLifeKing66

6,825 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Antlers

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm
User Image
User Image

In my fantasies, everything takes place in the 1800s. rofl

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:47 pm
NoLifeKing66
f we ignore Wednesday and say that the main storyline takes place in 1999, then yes, it's probably safe to say that Integra was born in 1977. 3nodding

It's probably best to ignore Wednesday. |D

NoLifeKing66
In light of this new evidence, I'll edit my original post. Thanks for making me rethink this. biggrin

No problemo. :3  

Atomu

NoLifeKing66

6,825 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:26 pm
Soleil de Midi
NoLifeKing66
f we ignore Wednesday and say that the main storyline takes place in 1999, then yes, it's probably safe to say that Integra was born in 1977. 3nodding

It's probably best to ignore Wednesday. |D

Indeed. It's unlikely that Hirano was paying close attention to a calendar, anyway. He probably just picked a random date and went with it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 am
Wednesday has officially become the most suspicious day of the week.
I wonder if the fact that the anime changing the date to the 12th had any effect on this time line issue.  

Gorenza
Vice Captain

Merry Dabbler

Media Room (anime, music, manga, series with Hellsing-related themes)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games