A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Remember that Smell?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do certain smells bring back memories for you?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 32 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kind of
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 40

Fallicious Flavor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 am
Ever smelled something in your youth that you didnt think about much until many years later you smell it again and all of a sudden you remembered what memory came with that smell? I am sure this has happened more than once.
For me, the scent of Persian Rice brings back memories of a Ba' Hai Center that used to be in my old community. Each day my dad or mom would take my sisters and I there to converse with the people and check out the new things that happened. The one thing that always lingered in the air was the scent of Persain style rice. Some of my better memories were in that center too so every time i inhale Persian rice scent, it takes me back to those good old days.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 am
ah, i know what you mean. I remember when I was in Elementary school, I think I was like 7 or 8, but anyways, Me and my mom and younger brother would walk to school every day, and we always passed a bread factory, and everyday it would smell like freshly baked bread. I loved that smell. Now, the factory is gone. But whenever I do get to smell freshly baked bread, it reminds me of all those happy times of being little, and not having a care in the world. ^.^  

Maria71327

Catira Norr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 am
The problem for me is that I get a whiff of a smell from my childhood, and then can't remember where it came from.... age is such an interesting journey!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 am
Catira Norr
The problem for me is that I get a whiff of a smell from my childhood, and then can't remember where it came from.... age is such an interesting journey!

Indeed it is. I am glad for my strong memory while it is here. I hope to have many good memories as I age smile  

Fallicious Flavor

Fallicious Flavor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:24 am
Maria71327
ah, i know what you mean. I remember when I was in Elementary school, I think I was like 7 or 8, but anyways, Me and my mom and younger brother would walk to school every day, and we always passed a bread factory, and everyday it would smell like freshly baked bread. I loved that smell. Now, the factory is gone. But whenever I do get to smell freshly baked bread, it reminds me of all those happy times of being little, and not having a care in the world. ^.^

It is interesting now when we least think of it the scents that we grew up with and how they affected us. I like your bread memory, Sounds like it would have been nice for that factory to still be around  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:36 pm
Your sense of smell envokes more memories then any other sense! There's your random fact of the day! I just had one of those moments about a week ago, but now I can't remember what it was! The old age is getting to me >.<  

charamath

Eiji

5,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 pm
charamath
Your sense of smell envokes more memories then any other sense! There's your random fact of the day! I just had one of those moments about a week ago, but now I can't remember what it was! The old age is getting to me >.<

So true, that why my wife and I each chose a new scent that we liked to wear on our wedding day, that way each time we wear those scents now we are reminded of our special day.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:39 pm
-Lucid Realities-
Maria71327

It is interesting now when we least think of it the scents that we grew up with and how they affected us. I like your bread memory, Sounds like it would have been nice for that factory to still be around

Ah, it would be so nice for it to be around. I love the smell of bread. ^.^ The building is still around, but now it's some theater arts place. Not really sure, but it's still nice to know that the building is still around.  

Maria71327

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:10 pm
everyday, the smell of my spouse's deodorant actually reminds me of the day we met... which sounds weird sweatdrop , but it's nice.

Sometimes the outdoors will have a certain scent that reminds me of a season.

Recently I caught whiff of a perfume that reminded me of middle school {someone I had a crush on would wear it all the time, but oddly enough, it reminded me of the entire middle school experience rather than just that person}.

The smell of orange pumice soap reminds me of my father... as well as certain other orange scents.

There are many scents that remind me of different things, not all of them necessarily from childhood. It's pretty common, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:53 pm
Maria71327
-Lucid Realities-
Maria71327

Ah, it would be so nice for it to be around. I love the smell of bread. ^.^ The building is still around, but now it's some theater arts place. Not really sure, but it's still nice to know that the building is still around.
Oh OK, its great its still around and given a new life, but the past it brings stays with you for a long time.  

Fallicious Flavor

Fallicious Flavor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 pm
Eiji
charamath

So true, that why my wife and I each chose a new scent that we liked to wear on our wedding day, that way each time we wear those scents now we are reminded of our special day.

Aww 4laugh

Charmath: That is actually something I didnt know until now, so thanks for sharing biggrin I love to learn new things 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Eiji
charamath

Funnily enough we did the same. We both used the same scent in male and female versions.

Also, the smell of Youthdew or Coty L'Aimant always remind me of my Mum. Youthdew was the perfume she wore on her wedding day, and would bring out for special occasions. She's been dead for over 10 years now, but I still have a small bottle of it I keep just to remind me of her. The perfume has probably spoiled by now, but I can remember the scent just by looking at the bottle, I don't even have to open it.  

Catira Norr

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:53 pm
Lily of the Valley reminds me of my grandmother - I found some lotion in the store one day when my cousin and I were shopping (we rarely see each other due to living in different states) and asked her if it reminded her of G'ma, too. She said it did and then we read the back... Lily of the Valley was one of the ingredients... then we both remarked at about the same time that Silicone Glove (Avon) was also a scent we associated with her... Needless to say, I bought a small tube of the stuff in the store to take to her at the nursing home ~ she was thrilled.

Old Spice and the scent of new leather for my grandfather, may he rest in peace.

Thank you... that just brought back some wonderful memories and I'm just sitting at the computer without any of the smells nearby. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 am
I just had a similar experience 2 weeks ago. My city just got a Harkins theater and I went there to see Coraline in 3D. As soon as I walked in the front door, the smell of tortilla dough hit me like a smack to the face. I immediately remembered all the visits to my grandma's apartment; she would always be making tortillas from scratch.  

Suede_Shoes

CaitieRose Colo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:05 am
Yes I read that the sense of smell triggers memories better than any other sense. I have specific scents which remind me of almost every person who has been important in my life; usually some cologne or cosmetic they used.

I don't drink coffee, but there was a certain type they used to brew in the cafeteria of my elementary school for the staff. I have never been able to figure out the brand or type but it was very different that the 'usual' coffee scent. Every time I've returned to that school to vote or for an event, I've smelled that type of coffee and I've on rare occasion smelled the exact same type of coffee at a community location somewhere else. I've never had the opportunity to sample it, to see how it's different from the usual, but that scent always takes me back to elementary school.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff