Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Haz thiz habbenet do you? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm
You thought I was chatspeaking, no? Well I wasn't. Today, I was taking notes for my calculus course, and maybe ten times throughout class, I kept swotching around my voiced and un-voiced consonants. It was really bizzare, and the first time I can recall it happening repeatedly. I think my brain is about to explode burning_eyes Or it will start oozing. One of the two.

So has anything remotely close to this ever happened to you, or am I losing it?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 pm
The worst that's ever happened to me is I'll substitute soft c's with s's and hard c's with k's and leave off silent letters.  

Henneth Annun

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
You're losing it.

(Haha, just joking.)

I've had some weird stuff happen to me regarding mixing German, English, French, and Japanese(romanized) spelling before. I could always read it, but... everyone else is just like, "What the heck is that?" xD

It goes away after a while, don't worry. =)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 pm
My idiolect has undergone what is basically thorough unvoicing, and voiceless plosives are pretty much all aspirated. Most people don't catch on because they don't know what the hell that is, but apparently I sound a bit silly.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:44 pm
Oh yah, this is sort of related but: I can't count straight in English anymore. No idea why.

It's been going on for awhile now. When I start to count something, I don't count it in English. My mind jumps straight and effortlessly to German, and I have to make an effort to switch back to counting in English.

This catches me off gaurd when I have to count something infront of someone and then have to remember to go back to English, and they stare at me oddly and I apologize.

English is my natlang, so it seems a little odd to me that I'd first count in German before English.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:20 pm
I often mispronounce my SH sounds as simple S sounds, and occasionally I let my R sounds fall kind of flat, but it's mostly being lazy when talking.

This is probably related but on a wider scale. There's a mild speech disorder where you basically lack proper word-mouth coordination. I've got this disorder. It usually only happens when I'm excited, upset, or otherwise distracted. What happens is words, sometimes extremely random and out-of-context words, will come out instead of the words I mean. It's similar to a Freudian Slip but the words are completely random (though sometimes the substituted word rhymes or sounds similar to the intended word and rarely it will be a word in the same category). For example, I once told my girlfriend I was going to "ride my car to class," when I meant bike (we don't even have a car). We might have bought bananas at the grocery store, and when we get home I say "Hand me one of those oranges!" even though I swear I was saying Banana. Those are category examples, though. The more random ones are harder to come up with examples since they don't make sense even in retrospect. Something like "Argh, I can't find my hammer!" "What? the hammer is in the closet." "HUH? Hammer? I thought I said 'mp3 player,' but whatever, I still can't find it."

I constantly get people telling me "uh...... Don't you mean such-and-such?" and I don't even realize I said something else. My girlfriend says I just don't pay enough attention to what I'm saying, but it can still happen even when I try specifically to say the correct words, and still the wrong word comes out. I've had some people tell me it might be a form of autism or Asperger's Syndrome (some sort of dissociation between words and the concepts they represent) or something like that, but it's not a big enough nuisance that I need to see a doctor about it.

It's only REALLY inconvenient when I'm ordering food, and nobody realizes I meant something else because they can't read my mind. sweatdrop As long as I don't do a lot of public speaking I doubt it will ever truly be a problem.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

The Quail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 pm
^ Do you mean cluttering? That's so annoying lol. I do that whenever I'm excited. It's weird that people would suggest autism, which tends to come with different types of language disorders. (Asperger's as well.)

In the last few months I've often randomly to spelled English words phonetically while doing school work. I figured it was because I've been writing a lot in different phonetic systems for English (modes for Tengwar and Cirth runes and an adaptation of Cyrillic).  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm
The Quail
^ Do you mean cluttering? That's so annoying lol. I do that whenever I'm excited. It's weird that people would suggest autism, which tends to come with different types of language disorders. (Asperger's as well.)

In the last few months I've often randomly to spelled English words phonetically while doing school work. I figured it was because I've been writing a lot in different phonetic systems for English (modes for Tengwar and Cirth runes and an adaptation of Cyrillic).

Oh, wow! I didn't know that it was such a well defined speech disorder. Yes, "cluttering" is exactly what I have. According to Wikipedia, I'm a poster child for this disorder. It's nice to know there's a word for it, and maybe now that I know what it is I can try to work on it.

(Argh, now that I know what it is I constantly catch myself doing it and it's driving me crazy, hahaha. Even in typing this post I've caught myself cluttering maybe 20 times. It's taken me about 10 minutes to type this up, not because I'm a slow typist but because I have to go back and re-type everything. xp )  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm
For me, it's my accent, pronunciation and randomly inserting unnecessary letters to words that changes when I speak English.

Have a great day comes out as Hahba grey day! and when asking "Paper or Plastic?" It comes out as "Playper or pastic"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm
Lol I just write English words in the Cyrillic alphabet (so using the system of phonetic writing to transfer the English sounds into the Cyrillic writing system.)

It is much easier that way, plus nobody ever knows what you are writing which is funny Xp  

Song Wei

Layra-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 pm
I have a form of verbal dyslexia, in that I'll pronounce phonemes in the wrong order even if I spell it correctly in my thoughts like PolyglotKoko does. This extends to entire words, switching two words that are sometimes sentences apart.
I also pronounce "r"s as "l"s and vice-versa every so often, and pronounce "k"s as "t"s and vice-versa (along with their voiced counterparts), but I think this might be for my own amusement.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:01 am
My dialect of portuguese actually changed all the sylable-final /s/ into /S/, and has a strong tendence to palatalize consonants. Which apparently makes us look "cuter" to people from different areas, and makes their accents simply weird to most of us. xP

It's not uncommon to sometimes confuse sounds when speaking. I'm the only person I know that can say "O original não se desoriginaliza" (something like "the original can't de-originalize itself") without accidentally killing myself in the process.

I've had a sociology teacher who pronounced "Aristóteles", which is normally pronounced /ariStOte"lIS/, as /ariS"tOtS/. razz

Edit: I wonder how often polish speakers confuse themselves when speaking... razz  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Song Wei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:46 pm
I always write in my own scripts, so of course this includes school notes.

One time I had to go up and write some stuff from my group on the white board, in between the sentence I was writing I switched over to my script in the middle of writing, which is funny because my script goes top to bottom right left, so it looked Really odd when suddenly my English changed into what to others would look like random squiggles, that is mostly all that happens to me...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:03 pm
I keep typing the wrong letters, and not typos, I mean completely off. I try to write "which" and end up with "welsh," and other such weird things. I think Freud would have a field day.

Not exactly the same thing, but it's always a word of the same length, similar (not necessarily the same) vowels.  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

Tweezle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 pm
Forgedawn
I keep typing the wrong letters, and not typos, I mean completely off. I try to write "which" and end up with "welsh," and other such weird things. I think Freud would have a field day.

Not exactly the same thing, but it's always a word of the same length, similar (not necessarily the same) vowels.

Oh, that happens to me quite a lot. It takes me forever to write a post here because I have to double check and make sure I didn't substitute in strange words.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff