Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!
Some ideas for novelty yarn?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:44 pm
Hello everyone, and thanks for accepting me to the guild!

I recently caved and bought two skeins of fun fur, one being blue and one teal. I had some plans to make a rug with it (it's so soft and fluffy!) but the swatch I made was so light I was afraid I'd slip and break my neck the first time I stepped on it. XD

Problem is, there isn't too much use for something warm, like a scarf (which I could totally see the blue one as), in sunny Singapore, and I don't think blue/teal would look good as trimmings for amigurumi, so...

Any ideas? D=  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am
They work well as accents for purses and other sundries. Also, don't discount the scarf just yet. If you work it on large needles, it will be airy and lacy and make a nice fashionable accessory. Fun fur isn't known for warmth anyhow hehe.

You could use it and make some funky hats, lacy glove trimming, wristbands, headbands, etc...

There is also a pattern on ravelry for something called a Soot Sprite. It looks like it's made with novelty yarn, so there's another option.

Fun fur also works well for "monster" amigurumi and as funky hair. Heck, you could even make doll clothes out of it if you know a collector or little one that could use them.

Hope some of these help. biggrin  

KnitChaos

canadian_treefrog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 pm
I was going to say scarf, but I guess you cancelled that one out. . . maybe a headband?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:44 pm
Thanks, both of you, for the ideas. biggrin

First things first... THIS YARN IS STILL A b***h AND A HALF TO WORK WITH. ;-; I thought it'd get easier if I got more experience with regular yarn...

I'm currently making a headband, just a simple buttoned one.

And my bf has requested this amigurumi for a present, so I'm thinking maybe the teal would work for the kitty version. biggrin

I'm still waiting to get into Ravelry. xd  

~ Milk Mynk ~

canadian_treefrog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:09 pm
~ Milk Mynk ~
I'm still waiting to get into Ravelry. xd

Not to worry! it shouldn't take too long! I remember getting my email within a week of being on the waiting list! Although the waiting list may have grown since then as I've been on it for over a year now. . .  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm
You can still make a rug, just use something like Saf-T-Back (I think that's what it's called. I believe Jo-Ann sells it.) or maybe liquid latex on the back.  

CanB

Milorganite

5,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 pm
Another awesome thing to do with novelty yarns (and something that makes them easier to work with, in my opinion) is knit them with another normal yarn, both strands at once.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:50 am
You can knit a cool kerchief with it. Just cast on two stitches and increase once every row, one or two stitches in. Once it's the size you want, slip stitch two ties and attach them to the corners and there you have it. Easy Peasy.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

Ace Ryn Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 pm
Milorganite
Another awesome thing to do with novelty yarns (and something that makes them easier to work with, in my opinion) is knit them with another normal yarn, both strands at once.

That's exactly what I do. On size 50s cast on desired number of stitches, and just knit. the stitches are long and open and allow for a semi-lacy look and a rather nice drape. I send them to a friend of mine who lives in south Texas where the humidity and the heat are almost as bad as can be. She manage to wear the ones I send her almost every day of the summer. Probably not quite enough for Singapore but if you work in a K1, YO, K2tog pattern (Knitting or purling all alternate rows) then it may be open enough to account for foreseeable heat and humidity.

And its still soft.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 am
I love fun fur! I at first thought I would not be able to crochet with it but I pair it with yarn, usually caron simply soft, use a larger hook, I like size M and do a simple double crochet to make scarves. I have sold loads of them and they make up really quick. you need to have at least 2 balls of fun fur for each scarf depending on length and width. I like to use variegated yarn and pick a fun fur to match. By doing the fur in different colors in the yarn you get diffrent looking scarves even though you use the same variegated. Also i like the acrylic or plastic hooks for this. Once you get the feel for it they tend to be smoother and quicker on your stitches. Good luck!  

Dotfish65

Friendly Lunatic

17,725 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games