Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Will you ever get enough of Harry Potter? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Harry Potter forever?
  yes, of course
  certainly not, I think I will stop reading and re-reading them in a year or so
  don't know... will always like them but I'm getting a bit too old for them...
View Results

jane_austen07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:32 am
I recently wondered wether we will ever get enough of Harry Potter.
I mean, now that all seven books are published, will there be enough stuff to talkt about in some years?
Do you think Harry Potter will just "disappear" in about ten years, you know, like many other books that were famous and popular for some time and that are almost forgotten by now.
Or will it turn out to be a classic, like for example The Lord of the Rings, Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist etc.And do you think that you will still like Harry Potter in aboout ten years?
Just say what you think...^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Harry Potter might not be a good discussion topic anymore in a couple of years, especially with kids your own age (I can't name you one kid my own age that I know who has not read or seen the HP books/movies or even played the games), but it will still be fun to read and stuff. Rowling's ideas are great, but her writing might not be able to get her listed among the classics. Then again, you never know; they say the Gossip Girls series is fast approaching *rolls eyes*. I think HP will become something like Dr.Seuss except for older kids of a specific generation; I think it will be a periodic experience like '70s hippies or...the weird generation we have today. None the less, I will force my younger sister (she's like...2 and a bit) and probably my children if I have any/adopt to read Harry Potter, just like how I'll be making sure they read Austen, Dickens, and Hemingway.  

crooked_signal

8,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

gina787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm
Harry Potter was more a phenomenon than anything else. It will never be forgotten because it made such an impact on the literary world that it is impossible to forget. It may not be considered a classic like Fitzgerald, Salinger, Steinbeck or the Bronte sisters or anything like that but it was such a big deal in our time that it will always be remembered. We still remember the 20's with their flappers and the 60's with the electric kool-aid. Harry Potter is just like that. It had such a cultural impact that it will always be remembered. I mean, seriously, the Oxford English Dictionary added the word "muggle" so you know that means it had a definite cultural impact. Plus, it was controversial and you know we can never forget a good controversy. I'm with burden on this one. I'll be shoving it down my kid's throats when and if i ever have any. mrgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 pm
*sniggers* And who could ever forget the cultural movement of W-rock?  

crooked_signal

8,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 pm
Shakespeare is still immensely popular and his work is from centuries ago. I have no doubt that for eons to come people will still be reading Harry Potter. I'm going to be a teacher for eight year-olds and I intend to read at least the first book aloud to them in class.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 am
I cannot imagine my ever not liking Harry Potter but on the other hand I cannot see me reading Harry Potter when I am 25 or so...
Difficult to say, time will show, I think...  

EvelynPrince

Misty_wolf_of Alagaesia

Quotable Guildswoman

6,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 pm
Not even when I'm 50 will stop loving and reading Harry Potter (and mind you im only 14 now)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:48 am
I must agree with what has already been said here. Harry Potter had such an imapct on the world, that there's no way it can ever be easily forgotton. I can see myself 10+ years from now still loving the series, I'm 16 now and started liking Harry Potter when I was 11. I'd like to believe that Harry Potter would make it as far as Shakespear has. There's no way in knowing, only time will tell. I do believe it'll one day be considered a timeless classic, just like Lord of the Rings. I for one agree with everybody that when and if I have kids, they'll know Harry Potter just like they'll know George Washington! Harry Potter will be like a tradition passed down, starting with me and ending who knows when! Besides, if my kids don't like Harry...what am I supposed to do with all my Harry Potter merchandise? mrgreen  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Z a y - d e z v o u s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:28 pm
Harry Potter will never disappear! It is a legend. And yes, I will absolutely love Harry Potter in ten years.
mrgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 pm
I am very confident that I will still love Harry Potter in ten years. In my heart, it will always be a series that had a huge impact on me growing up, and I hope many other people feel that way, too.
I have little doubt that it will not become a classic; it made such a difference in the world, starting out with bringing fans together, like it has here. It's taught us some important life lessons, and has even comforted some of us when we feel a little out of the ordinary.
I know I'm not the only one who has special bonds with the characters. Growing up, Harry Potter and friends were like imaginary pals for me that kept me moving on, even if that sounds exceptionally cheesy, not to mention strange.
But honestly, Harry Potter is part of me and always will be; even to my dying day.

Galyxies

Bloodsucker

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 am
I don't think I will ever get enough of Harry Potter. Just last week my Dad and I re-watched all the movies and even my Dad said he just keeps wanting more and for it to never end haha.

Every year there is always a new batch of kids that begin reading Harry Potter or watching the movies so there will always be a new audience all of the time. I don't think it will ever end. Harry Potter is just like the Beatles and even after 40 years, millions upon millions of people still LOVE the Beatles and will never stop. Just like their music, the books are timeless and will always be bringing in new fans.

I know for sure if I ever have kids that I'll read the books to them. They will always be part of my life.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 am
jane_austen07
I recently wondered wether we will ever get enough of Harry Potter.
I mean, now that all seven books are published, will there be enough stuff to talkt about in some years?
Do you think Harry Potter will just "disappear" in about ten years, you know, like many other books that were famous and popular for some time and that are almost forgotten by now.
Or will it turn out to be a classic, like for example The Lord of the Rings, Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist etc.And do you think that you will still like Harry Potter in aboout ten years?
Just say what you think...^^

Well we might talk the topics out and the games might run dry but you have to remember nothing lasts forever. I don't think Harry Potter will disappear, but it will fade. The books were good, but not great. I was not utterly stunned by them every time I read them, but they got you through a story that was endearing with a boy who really was just a boy, behind everything. They were good, the plot and the characters and that is the meat of the story. And the meat of the story was about things that everyone understands and can sympathize with.
To me Harry Potter will always hold a special place among my books and in my heart. It was a comfort at a time in my life when things were quite hard for me, I was very lonely, and very sad. Not the emo 'oh I'm so dark sad and lonely' fake type of depression. The girl you see sitting by herself at lunch, you know the one who can't get her hair to lay flat, with braces, and the odd mannerism, because she can't even begin to try and interact with people without them teasing her. That was me. I'd wanted to die, not because it was cool, or dark or everyone else was into it. People like that really don't know what it's like. Its not cool, or impressive, it's scary. I am talking about a loneliness and sadness that feels like it ate a part of you, something inside that is very important. I can liken it to when someone you love dearly dies. And it's there, always there. There was no comfort even at home, or school, or away from everyone else. Instead of cutting, or hurting myself, I wrote, painted and read.
Harry Potter fueled my imagination and made me feel that even though magic isn't real, and I won't be anything like this boy, but he did two things I could do one day. One: have friends. Real friends, and two: he found away out of sadness.
I have friends, and people who understand me now, and though sometimes I watch them and think 'what the hell?'. I am also not so sad. I still have my days and my self doubt but it's better.
As for where Harry Potter in ten years, it will still be lingering around here and there, with people wanting more. While I don't know what JK will do with the series, I can guarantee you'll find my set of the series on the top shelf of my bookcase, next to my Tolkien books, the Pern series and Vampirates.  

KatieInTheBox

Alli-o-pop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Whether I am still rereading HP in 10 years or not, HP will always have a very warm place in my heart. I was only 3 or 4 years old when my father started to read the books to me. In fact, my very earliest memory is of my father reading HP to me on the couch. I may have been too young to really understand the books, but I loved them just the same. Harry Potter was a world wide phenomenon and we'll never see anything like it again. I am proud that I got to experience that. I will never forget all the memories and stories that I have of HP. I know that when I am old, I will still be reading HP to my grandchildren. It may be very outdated by then, but that is where some of my best friends lie. I will always choke up during Sirius and Fred's final minutes and I will always cheer for Harry during the final battle with Voldemort. Harry Potter will always be an important part of me, even then.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 pm
User Image

I love Harry Potter! The first book I read when I was younger, and I loved it from the start.
I will never, ever, ever, EVER get tired of Harry Potter. mrgreen
I watch the movies over and over again with my friends and family and they never gwt tired of it either! ^^

The Flower Seller

GabrielleClearwater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:34 pm
I shall never tire of Harry Potter. It will surely be a classic, with it's masterful and complex storytelling. My children will see me as a super-nerd, I'm sure, but they'd do that without Potter!
While such series as Twilight and Inheritence may die, Harry Potter won't just because of people like us xP

I still exclaim when I notice something new in Harry Potter, as if gaining a new hint to the forecoming events (which can be quite depressing).  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff