Celebrate?
  *dances*
  *stuffs face with party food*
View Results

Lupine Pyrefly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_abortion_ban

Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama plans to sign an executive order ending the ban on federal funds for international groups that promote or perform abortions, officials told The Associated Press on Friday.

The move, long expected in the Democratic president's first week in office, will be welcomed by liberals and criticized by abortion rights foes.

The policy bans U.S. taxpayer money, usually in the form of U.S. Agency for International Development funds, from going to international family planning groups that either offer abortions or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion. It is also known as the "global gag rule," because it prohibits taxpayer funding for groups that even talk about abortion if there is an unplanned pregnancy.

Also known as the "Mexico City policy," it has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents since GOP President Ronald Reagan established it in 1984. President Bill Clinton ended the ban in 1993, but President George W. Bush re-instituted it in 2001 as one of his first acts in office.

The Democratic official and senior U.S. official who disclosed the plans did so on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to pre-empt Obama's announcement.

Obama was expected to sign the executive order at a low-key event, one day after the 36th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court ruling in Roe v. Wade that legalized abortion.

The move was not a surprise as both Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who will oversee foreign aid, had promised to do away with the gag rule during the presidential campaign. Clinton is to visit the U.S. Agency for International Development, through which much U.S. foreign aid is disbursed, later on Friday.

Obama has spent his first days in office systematically signing executive orders reversing Bush administration policies on issues ranging from foreign policy to government operations. But, save for ending the ban, Obama has largely refrained from wading into ideological issues, perhaps to avoid being tagged a traditional partisan from the outset after his campaign promises to change "business as usual" in the often partisan-gridlocked capital.

Rather, Obama has chosen to focus initially on issues in which there is consensus across the political spectrum and support from the public, such as closing the prison camp for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to making government documents more accessible.

Organizations that had pressed Obama to make the abortion-ban change were jubilant.

"Women's health has been severely impacted by the cutoff of assistance. President Obama's actions will help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, abortions and women dying from high-risk pregnancies because they don't have access to family planning," said Tod Preston, a spokesman for Population Action International, an advocacy group.

mrgreen heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:25 am
Excellent news. Ms. magazine had a couple of articles about the impact of the global gag rule that were both very informative and very disturbing.

Ms. Magazine | Global Sex Rules | Summer 2003
Ms. Magazine | Dying in the Backstreets | Winter 2008

These stories are absolutely tragic. Women are being injured, maimed, permanently disabled, made infertile and killed because of this law. All because some sanctimonious assholes in the United States have decided to take advantage of people's vulnerablity in order to force their beliefs on them.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Nayva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm
omg, I heart President Obama. I wish I had a little stuffed animal of him to send voodoo hugs to him, y'know?
Just hope he repeals that dumb Right to Refuse Service if Against Conscience thing soon, before it has a some really harmful effects.
But yay, a triumph for women's health! This significantly brightens my day.
Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 pm
I find it funny; pro-lifers are talking about how this use of taxpayer money is wasteful; what is the constant spending of taxpayer money for unwanted children?

Anyway; YAY!
I wonder what else we'll see in terms of women's rights and reproductive education and rights. smile  

20 Shades of Crazy

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

crystal_pepzi

7,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 pm
I read that article this morning and actually squealed I was so happy. I ended up calling my husband to spread the good news.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:02 pm
EPIC WIN.  

Fran Salaska

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:44 pm
20 Shades of Crazy
I find it funny; pro-lifers are talking about how this use of taxpayer money is wasteful; what is the constant spending of taxpayer money for unwanted children?

Actually, that's kind of a misconception:
Quote:
In fact, the Global Gag Rule is an executive order first put in place by Ronald Reagan - even though we already had (and have) explicit laws banning the use of federal U.S. taxpayer funds from being used to fund abortion services abroad (or in the U.S. for that matter). As I have written before on this site:

"The Global Gag Rule was originally put in place by President Reagan, by executive order, to deny funding to international family planning organizations unless they agreed to specific curtailments as set by the United States on the medical services and information they provided to their patients. That is, health centers that operate in developing nations to help women and men plan their families and avoid unintended pregnancies, were told that they would not be allowed to provide abortions (regardless of whether or not it is legal in their country to do so), refer to abortion services, discuss abortion as an option, or even so much as hang a poster that mentions abortion without potentially being denied funds for the provision of health services that have nothing to do with abortion."

So, to make that point one more time:

The Global Gag Rule is not about banning federal U.S. funds from being used to pay for abortion services abroad. We had and continue to have separate laws governing this.

RHReality Check | "Religious Left's" Wrong-Minded Appeal on Global Gag Rule | Amie Newman

I thought it was about funding too before I read this. The law was even more awful, then, because it banned the things that would PREVENT abortion in the first place!  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games