Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spiritual Direction - A Catholic Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for learning and discussing the true teachings of the Catholic Chruch. 

Tags: Catholic, Catholicism, Apologetics, Christian, Jesus 

Reply Catholic Teachings NP
Book Recommendations

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EmeraldWings
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 am
Since i can't very well type out every good book i know of, and i can't find a whole lot of books free to read online that i've read, i want to post books you can buy online.

there's also a post in the general forum for book recommendations, but that one anyone can post in, and this one, like every other topic in the Catholic Teachings board, can only be posted in by me and the other mods.

the reason i wanted to make this topic here is because i just wanted one topic for recommending good catholic books for teaching the faith, i just didn't want them mixed in with other types of books.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:25 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture
By: Bishop Frederick Justus Knecht D.D.

This book is a great introductory Bible study all by itself - for it brings out the Catholic teachings that are hidden in Sacred Scripture! A famous book - one which received recommendations from 14 bishops when first published and which went through at least 16 editions - this commentary is not a work for scholars; but rather a very practical book for the ordinary Catholic. Impr. 844 pgs; PB

Link to the site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage_gr/product_id/618/  

EmeraldWings
Captain

EmeraldWings
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 am
My Daily Bread
by Father Anthony Paone

Catholic Prayers Books, Softcover, 439 pp.

My Daily Bread by Fr. Paone with its short daily reflections provides a summary of the spiritual life. You can understand in easy-to-read language the key principles of the way of purification, the way of imitation and the way of union. The work here presented "My Daily Bread" is a summary of spiritual doctrine so simplified and arranged that everyone can come to a knowledge and practice of the principles of the spiritual life. It is divided into three books which treat respectively of the three ways of Spiritual Life. (1) Purification - we must reform that which has been deformed in us by sin. (2) Imitation - we must conform to Christ that which has been reformed. (3) Union - we must transform through Christ that which has been conformed. This book must be read, not only with the head, but with the heart. We must think and pray. This daily exercise will transform belief into realization, theory into practice. This work has been authored by the Rev. Anthony J. Paone, S.J. May it prove a helpful guide to daily spiritual growth. May it help souls to persevere in the holy resolutions which they make at the time of confession, Holy Communion, missions, retreats, or any moment of grace. While written primarily for the layman in the language of the layman, it will prove helpful to the priest and religious.

Link to the site - http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_gensym-152.html#

you can also find this book on other sites, like amazon, or ebay, or just type the book title in on google.

this is one of my most favorite books, and i recommend it highly to anyone, because it is so easy to read and understand.
you only need to read one chapter a day, which is usually only 2 pages long, and the book is rather small as well.
just remember if you get this book to read the first two pages, do not skip past them to the first chapter, because the first two pages explain alot, how to use the book, what you will learn, what to do after each chapter, and more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 am
Light and Peace
Instructions for Devout Souls to Dispel Their Doubts

By: Rev. R. P. Quadrupani

A handbook for getting to Heaven. 25 short, practical chapters on the basics of spiritual life. Should be read by everyone, especially good for high school students to get them started. Has influenced countless lives. Impr. 193 pgs

Link to the site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage_gr/product_id/2/

Another simple read, similar to "My daily bread"
I also strongly recommend this book, it opens your eyes in so many ways, and helps you to understand many common teachings in a new light.
it's simple yet very deep, you will find yourself always learning something new even after reading it again and again.

EmeraldWings
Captain

EmeraldWings
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:03 pm
Life & Revelations of Anne Catherine Emmerich
By: Very Rev. K. E.Schmoger

Definitive life of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824); a German Augustinian nun- mystic; stigmatist; visionary; prophet; victim soul. Prophecies and amazing revelations on every aspect of the Faith. Extremely edifying; makes the Gospels come alive with details you never knew before!

Link to the site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage_gr/product_id/184/  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm
The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena
By: St. Catherine of Siena

The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena. Catherine's Dialogue describes the entire spiritual life of humans through a series of conversations between God and the soul, represented by Catherine herself. The universally applicable yet intimately personal messages St. Catherine of Siena received from God explore topics high in the minds of today's Catholics: does Divine Providence exist? How does one practice discernment? Is prayer really effective? Can obedience bring us freedom and peace? What better source for trustworthy answers to these questions than this doctor of the Church and lover of souls-St. Catherine of Siena? 240 pp.

Link to the site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/750/keywords/dialog+saint+catherine/

Also readable online! -
http://www.2heartsnetwork.org/Dialogue-of-St-Catherine.pdf  

EmeraldWings
Captain

EmeraldWings
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm
Quizzes to a Street Preacher Set
By: Frs. Carty & Rumble

Quizzes to a Street Preacher Set. Set of 10 Quizzes to a Street Preacher

Items included in Quizzes to a Street Preacher Set :

Bible Quizzes, Purgatory Quizzes, Indulgence Quizzes, Confession Quizzes, Marriage Quizzes, Hell Quizzes, Birth Prevention Quizzes, Eucharist Quizzes, True Church Quizzes, and Virgin and Statue Worship Quizzes.

Link to site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/311/keywords/quizzes+street+preacher+set/  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:43 pm
Moral Theology
By: Rev. Heribert Jone

Moral Theology. A reprint of Jone's classic 18th English edition. A handbook for the busy priest that will boggle the mind with its organization, thoroughness and detail. Hand pocket size. Every priest should have Jone at his fingertips. There is no other book like it! Impr. 610 pgs, PB

Link to site - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/383/category_id/45/  

EmeraldWings
Captain

EmeraldWings
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:46 pm
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Examination of Conscience for Adults

The Examination of Conscience for Adults is a comprehensive examination based on twelve virtues for the twelve months of the year. The object of this booklet is to initiate lay people into the practice of concentrating their efforts at self-perfection on one virtue a month. It provides a fairly complete list of mortal sins to be avoided, of venial sins to be corrected and of helps and counsels that may be practiced. 39 pp.

Link to site - http://www.fraternitypublications.com/catrexofcofo.html  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Divine Intimacy

Meditations on the interior life for every day of the Liturgical year....

This book of meditations is a classic and is seeped in Carmelite spirituality. It offers two daily meditations in liturgical arrangement which enable the soul to enter the conscious presence of God and to reflect on the theme of the day. These are followed by a ‘Colloquy’ to assist the reader in starting a friendly conversation with God where acts of praise and love, petition and thanksgiving are made, together with good resolutions for the future. Here we are at the very heart of prayer, which is a heart-to-heart encounter in faith with the living God.

Divine Intimacy is the highest state attainable on earth. In this union of love, the soul produces acts of love which have an immense apostolic influence on a multitude of souls. This knowledge of the ways that lead to God, according to the teaching of the renowned Spanish mystics, is distilled into the pages of this book.

“This book of meditations is meant for all priests, seminarians, religious, the devout laity, all who aspire to greater union with God: that is, to divine intimacy.”

Pope John XXIII

“This Book of Meditations on the interior life for every day of the liturgical year is a pearl of great price. For spiritual reading and personal prayer, it is a treasure, providing sound guidance on the journey of prayer, and a safe companion on the road to holiness and to intimate union with God.”

Bishop Philip Boyce O.C.D, Bishop of Raphoe, Ireland.

About the Author: Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D., was a Discalced Carmelite priest who became one of the most revered masters of the spiritual life. He acquired a vast knowledge of the ways that lead to holiness and to union with God. His experience with souls, whom he guided to the heights of perfection, was outstanding. He was an expert in the spiritual and mystical doctrine of St. Teresa of Jesus (Avila) and of St. John of the Cross. The Discalced Carmelite nuns of the Monastery of St. Joseph in Rome were the heirs of the Father Gabriel’s vast output of published works and private manuscripts. For ten years, he guided these nuns as their confessor and spiritual director, and it was they who helped him to arrange his material in line with the course of the liturgical year, while following the ascent of the soul to transforming union with God, or to ‘Divine Intimacy.’

Flexible leather cover, 6" x 8 1/4", 1216 pp.

Link to site - http://www.fraternitypublications.com/divineintimacy.html  

EmeraldWings
Captain

Catholic Teachings NP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas