Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:02 pm
Meta_Fish
ChaosTorrent
Evamortte
Yeah, I agree on the approach part...kinda, but the PS2's Shovelware:Quality ratio wasn't nearly as high as the Wii's, earning it more respect among the core crowd then the Wii. Nintendo has left gamers feeling abandoned by first; making an underpowered machine(not that bad on it's own, but it made it easier to make "cheap" games on the console), second; allowing shovelware to run rampant among it's machine's library(I am referring to how Nintendo will license any game for the console while MS and Sony show a little more restraint)
Who cares how much shovelware there is? I know it hurts mainly seeing shitty and completely useless games on the Wii game shelves, but you'll learn to ignore them and appreciate the good games that are out there.

Betman
This.

Evamortte
, third; making their own crappy games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Sports 2, and Wii Music(scaled in order of most forgivable - least, Wii Sports 1 being at the top for coming free with the console).
I don't know why you're calling Wii Sports a crappy game. I can see the games not appealing to you, but they're well made, it's fun to sit down with friends (gamers or not) and play a few rounds of any of the five sports with them. Maybe Wii Fit doesn't appeal to you; that still doesn't mean it's crappy. I could just as easily say "I don't see why there are so many crappy games on the 360" and list off Bioshock, Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, just because they don't appeal to me. Sure they're well made games, but God forbid that they appeal to someone other than me. Maybe I'm just a casfag now.

Evamortte
I don't know maybe I'm just bitter because I haven't bought any Wii games since Brawl and No More Heroes.
What Wii games do you have? I have 11, but I still don't have all of the ones I want. I just can't afford to keep buying them and DS games constantly, nor do I have the time to beat all of them. Have you played De Blob? Mushroom Men? Samba De Amigo? Okami? (I hope) Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario? Elebits? Zack and Wiki? Megaman 9, World of Goo, Lost Winds, the Art Style games on WiiWare. There are good games there, you just have to be willing to try something that you aren't used to.

Evamortte
If anyone is to blame for shovelware though, it mostly the fault of third parties and the casuals that buy the shitty games(furthering the amount made).
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT. It's not hurting you, it's not hurting me.

This.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 pm
Waynebrizzle
Meta_Fish
ChaosTorrent
Evamortte
Yeah, I agree on the approach part...kinda, but the PS2's Shovelware:Quality ratio wasn't nearly as high as the Wii's, earning it more respect among the core crowd then the Wii. Nintendo has left gamers feeling abandoned by first; making an underpowered machine(not that bad on it's own, but it made it easier to make "cheap" games on the console), second; allowing shovelware to run rampant among it's machine's library(I am referring to how Nintendo will license any game for the console while MS and Sony show a little more restraint)
Who cares how much shovelware there is? I know it hurts mainly seeing shitty and completely useless games on the Wii game shelves, but you'll learn to ignore them and appreciate the good games that are out there.

Betman
This.

Evamortte
, third; making their own crappy games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Sports 2, and Wii Music(scaled in order of most forgivable - least, Wii Sports 1 being at the top for coming free with the console).
I don't know why you're calling Wii Sports a crappy game. I can see the games not appealing to you, but they're well made, it's fun to sit down with friends (gamers or not) and play a few rounds of any of the five sports with them. Maybe Wii Fit doesn't appeal to you; that still doesn't mean it's crappy. I could just as easily say "I don't see why there are so many crappy games on the 360" and list off Bioshock, Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, just because they don't appeal to me. Sure they're well made games, but God forbid that they appeal to someone other than me. Maybe I'm just a casfag now.

Evamortte
I don't know maybe I'm just bitter because I haven't bought any Wii games since Brawl and No More Heroes.
What Wii games do you have? I have 11, but I still don't have all of the ones I want. I just can't afford to keep buying them and DS games constantly, nor do I have the time to beat all of them. Have you played De Blob? Mushroom Men? Samba De Amigo? Okami? (I hope) Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario? Elebits? Zack and Wiki? Megaman 9, World of Goo, Lost Winds, the Art Style games on WiiWare. There are good games there, you just have to be willing to try something that you aren't used to.

Evamortte
If anyone is to blame for shovelware though, it mostly the fault of third parties and the casuals that buy the shitty games(furthering the amount made).
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT. It's not hurting you, it's not hurting me.

This.

WylrPnufh

4,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Think about it. Shovelware prints money.
Nintendo is profitting from people that like movies/animes/stuff enough to ignore the shitty game behind it. Plus they profit from publishing.
Shovelware -> Money + Mr. Miyamoto -> $_$ -> MOTIVATION -> good games.
I honestly believe Wii games would be as expensive as PS3/360 games if it wasn't for shovelware.

Games like Wii Sports, Wii fit etc. aren't truly shitty games. They're just aiming for a different kind of player. The more spontaneous, innovation-hungry kind of player that doesn't like going in-depth on just one game(brawl) to have a good time. Nintendo covers a huge field of interests, and it covers them good.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:38 pm
ChaosTorrent
Think about it. Shovelware prints money.
Nintendo is profitting from people that like movies/animes/stuff enough to ignore the shitty game behind it. Plus they profit from publishing.
Shovelware -> Money + Mr. Miyamoto -> $_$ -> MOTIVATION -> good games.
I honestly believe Wii games would be as expensive as PS3/360 games if it wasn't for shovelware.

Games like Wii Sports, Wii fit etc. aren't truly shitty games. They're just aiming for a different kind of player. The more spontaneous, innovation-hungry kind of player that doesn't like going in-depth on just one game(brawl) to have a good time. Nintendo covers a huge field of interests, and it covers them good.
This.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Evamortte

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:43 pm
Wall of text incoming. TL;DR at bottom.

Okay, maybe crappy was the wrong word for me to use, at least for Wii Sports. I had a bit of fun with it when I first bought my Wii back at launch, and I'm not going to complain too much about it due to it being a freebie, and being a good way to get people used to the controls. When I say it's crappy though I mean that it's a very quick, seemingly low-budget game.

Wii Fit and the Balance board I thought were neat innovations, and had potential, and I feel Nintendo actually did put effort into this game. I would have bought it if I felt I would have used it for more then a week. though outside of the balance board itself, the game wasn't too mind-blowing.

Wii Sports 2 seems like just a shameless way to jack up the price of motionplus. I will forgive it for again, being there to teach people how to use the new technology. I don't expect to get any more time out of it then I did the first though.

Wii Music I feel was just a waste of everyones time. I dunno, maybe I just expected more since they've been working on it since before Wii came out.

Wii Play, forgot to put this on the list. Got it just for the sake of getting a Wii Remote, nuff said. Thankfully with that in consideration, the game didn't cost a lot.

Games I have:
-Twilight Princess
Not as good as Ocarina in my opinion, but definitely #2 or 3 on my list of favorite Zelda games.
-Red Steel
Didn't live up to it's promises but I like the game, despite how much hate people give it.
-SSX Blur
I got suckered in by the art and good music. The series has gone downhill since it peaked at 3. ;(
-Sonic Wildfire (I refuse to call it it's retarded real name)
Broken Promises, why did I get my hopes up?
-Wii Play
Wiimote
-Pokemon Battle Revolution
Looked promising, got suckered in by pretty graphics and WFC play. Regret this purchase.
-Super Paper Mario
Never got around to beating it, but I should. Nothing lives up to the N64 one though, that may just be nostalgia though.
-Metroid Prime 3
Finally a game I thoroughly enjoy. The prize of my wii collection.
-No More Heroes
Again, this game is great, absolutely no regrets.
-SSB:Brawl
Had fun with it, but I thought melee was better. Again, nostalgia was a bit of it, but I also feel that they nerfed old characters and items a bit too much while making the new ones way too imbalanced.
-I've also rented/played Mario Galaxy(played it long enough to feel Sunshine was better), Excite Truck, Mario Kart(I'll be sticking with DS), Alien Syndrome(probably would've liked it more if I had someone to play co-op with), Soul Calibur Legends(shovelware in the guise of a would-be good game, god damn you namco!) and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

And as for the it not hurting me, you're right; it's not. What it is hurting though is my opinion of games I see. I am less likely to trust a game on the Wii not made by Nintendo then I am on other consoles. Dead Rising on 360 I instantly thought looked awesome, but the Wii port I automatically assumed was going to be s**t, and so far it's looking like I won't be wrong. A game on Wii has to really catch my eye before I give it attention.

TL;DR I am the older sibling that having all the attention of the parents all to myself, now has to share it with a new born brother/sister. I'm jealous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm
Evamortte
-Metroid Prime 3
Finally a game I thoroughly enjoy. The prize of my wii collection.

I hear that. More people need to buy that game. Best use of motion sensing since Wii Sports, and that's saying something.  

Waynebrizzle

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm
Evamortte
Okay, maybe crappy was the wrong word for me to use, at least for Wii Sports, I had a bit of fun with it when I first bought my Wii back at launch, an I'm not going to complain too much about it due to it being a freebie, and being a good way to get people used to the controls. When I say it's crappy though I mean that it's a very quick, seemingly low-budget game.
I wouldn't say any of those games are low budget at all. Wii Sports showed off how to use the Wiimote and how to show it off well, Wii Fit showed how to use the Balance Board in a s**t-ton of different games, and Wii Sports 2 is going to show off the Wii MotionPlus. They're all glorified tech demos for reasonably low prices that are generally pretty fun. Wii Music is debatable and different, but you can't really b***h too much about Nintendo abandoning us.

We're just two years past the Wii's launch and we already have s**t tons of major franchises. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Wario Land, Paper Mario, Metroid on top of good "casual" games, which (if you're not a total d-bag) you can find to be entertaining, and better third party support than Nintendo's had for a long time.

Evamortte
Wii Fit and the Balance board I thought were neat innovations, and had potential, and I feel Nintendo actually did put effort into this game. I would have bought it if I felt I would have used it for more then a week. though outside of the balance board itself, the game wasn't too mind-blowing.
You're also not the demographic for this game. Gaming is evolving, and not all games are going to appeal to us. We just have to accept that. No longer do we live in the days of the NES and SNES, where we could pick up any game, and deem it "good" or "bad." Now games can be designed for different types of people. I myself do not like RPGs, yet RPGs are not really bad.

Evamortte
-Super Paper Mario
Never got around to beating it, but I should. Nothing lives up to the N64 one though, that may just be nostalgia though.
You have to beat that game. Get to it.

Evamortte
And as for the it not hurting me, you're right; it's not. What it is hurting though is my opinion of games I see. I am less likely to trust a game on the Wii not made by Nintendo then I am on other consoles. Dead Rising on 360 I instantly thought looked awesome, but the Wii port I automatically assumed was going to be s**t, and so far it's looking like I won't be wrong. A game on Wii has to really catch my eye before I give it attention.
You know, you've always had to be generally careful. It's not hard to detect s**t from good s**t, is it? You don't pick up "Game Party" and go "huh i wonder if dat be a good play." It's not that big of a deal to have to look into the games a little more, is it? If anything it's making you be a smarter shopper, and causing you to look into things before you leap and buy it.

Evamortte
TL;DR I am the older sibling that having all the attention of the parents all to myself, now has to share it with a new born brother/sister. I'm jealous.
Uhm. K?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:38 pm
I guess you're right. x:

And the sibling thing was a shot at a metaphor. Nintendo being the parent, giving core gamers all of it's attention before the Wii, and the new kid being the audience the Wii has picked up.

Evamortte

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Evamortte
I guess you're right. x:

And the sibling thing was a shot at a metaphor. Nintendo being the parent, giving core gamers all of it's attention before the Wii, and the new kid being the audience the Wii has picked up.
Uhm. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Brothers, WarioLand are all pretty hardcore games, and if you can't appreciate Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, then I don't even want to talk to you. D=< I think the bigger issue is with third parties putting turds out to make quick cash rather than trying something. Red Steel was cool, but now Ubisoft is putting out crap again and again, and not really making anything fun for us. They're spending time making games for the other consoles, and then putting crap on the Wii. I understand making some causal titles, but that's all they seem to make for us anymore, both on DS and Wii. How about Red Steel 2, guys? I'm hoping that gets unveiled at E3.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:45 pm
Evamortte
Mario Kart(I'll be sticking with DS)

Am I the only one that still believes DD! was the best in the series, excluding the nostalgia factor behind 64?  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Evamortte

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:58 pm
I just don't think Mario Kart Wii is enough of an update to warrant me purchasing it. :/ Besides, my friends little brother has it, so I can just go there to play it when I want to. And Animal Crossing, I haven't tried it yet, but it didn't seem to be much different from previous versions either, at least not past minor things like the weekly events being turned into shops(something which I don't like because I liked the randomness of the other titles); I guess I could rent it, have to return Prince of Persia today anyway.

@Wantcookie: DD was a great game, I had a blast playing it with friends during it's time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:21 pm
Evamortte
@Wantcookie: DD was a great game, I had a blast playing it with friends during it's time.

There's more nostalgia there for me than there is for 64. See, my cousins would come up every now and again and stay with my family for about a month. They were both so incredibly competitive, the only games we could play were things that forced them to cooperate. xd We ended up seeing a lot of that game.  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Maerua

Saint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:26 pm
Wantcookie
Evamortte
Mario Kart(I'll be sticking with DS)

Am I the only one that still believes DD! was the best in the series, excluding the nostalgia factor behind 64?

I thought DD was excellent too.

...but I also keep playing the original on the SNES from time to time wink  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:49 am
I read that last night by accident. I'm not surprised that Wii won this year, so I really just focus on the competition between Xbox 360 and PS3 (what I call the losers' bracket). I actually feel sorry for the PS3 and actually want one, but the price is just out of the question. I even have trouble saving for a budget version, and the recession isn't helping. The fact that so many people claim that Blu-Ray is dead or dying is also pretty sad, especially since that was supposed to be one of PS3's redeeming factors.

Earlier this year EGM printed a magazine cover that said "2007 sucked for the PS3. 2008 will rock." I wonder if they'll print a retraction in 2009. stare

Boadicia

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 am
Boadicia
The fact that so many people claim that Blu-Ray is dead or dying is also pretty sad, especially since that was supposed to be one of PS3's redeeming factors.

People can claim it's dead but that doesn't make it true.

Now HD DVD, THAT s**t is D-E-A-D.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces