Reply Instruments and Vocals
Harpsichords, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:16 pm
Maybe even virginals? Zumpe squares? Pianofortes? Clavichords? etc?

I've tried playing the harpsichord a few times and just can't get over how paranoid I feel in front of it. It's like it's incredibly fragile. Is it just me or are you really supposed to have a delicate touch for those old instruments?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:32 pm
You're right that the period instruments are more fragile, and we do have to treat them with care, but it's not like they're going to break if you touch them a tad harsher than a brush of the keys! Broken quills are common on the harpsichord, though I've never actually broken one myself...

I would say you need a "sensitive" touch for the period keyboard instruments, rather than delicate. It's senseless to apply the same amount of force you'd use on a piano to harpsichords, pianofortes, etc., but because of the limited effects you produce on them, you have be to be extra conscious of the sound you're making.

...not that I'm saying you shouldn't be sensitive on a piano, but there's a lot more leeway on pianos, to be certain.  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Girlie320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 pm
Harpsicords are amazing!!!~!!~!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:15 pm
I was blessed with the opportunity to play a few Bach Inventions on the harpsichord many a summer ago. To say the least, his music is far more exciting that way ^__^

I used to know a website where you could buy a "build your own harpsi/clavichord" kit, that included double manuals, single manuals, virginals, etc etc.
Unfortunately, I lost the link in a computer overhaul sad  

Camusian_Night-terror

An Unknown Kunoichi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 am
Harpsichords are lovely instruments, though I understand why the piano 'replaced' them oh so many centuries ago.

My school has a harpsichord, and it is such a hassle to move around. It's heavy, yet there are no wheels.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:48 am
waaah this is so complicated crying  

Eros Philia Agape

goffica_57

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 am
Camusian_Night-terror
I was blessed with the opportunity to play a few Bach Inventions on the harpsichord many a summer ago. To say the least, his music is far more exciting that way ^__^

I used to know a website where you could buy a "build your own harpsi/clavichord" kit, that included double manuals, single manuals, virginals, etc etc.
Unfortunately, I lost the link in a computer overhaul sad

I am very jealous my dream is to get the opportunity to play some bach on a harpsichord as it was supposed to be played and sound how did you guys get these opportunities harpsichords are so difficult to come by???  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm
goffica_57
I am very jealous my dream is to get the opportunity to play some bach on a harpsichord as it was supposed to be played and sound how did you guys get these opportunities harpsichords are so difficult to come by???

I don't know about anyone else here, but we've got three harpsichords at my uni - two general purpose (a smaller, German model that's built like a tank, which we keep in a practice room; and a larger model that was donated and some idiot used glue to keep the board from shifting so it needed a lot of love - it's also a pain to keep in tune) and the harpsichord professor's personal one that's used for recitals.

My Oma has a spinet - it's so tiny and she usually keeps it under a tablecloth, so I assumed it was a weird, triangular side table until she uncovered it for me.

I find it very odd to sing with a harpsichord - it sounds so delicate and small that I end up singing smaller and lighter to match. And it's a bit harder to stay in tune with, but I don't know why. It's easier when it's part of a chamber orchestra, though.  

Sionja

Gracious Genius

Melody Lee 1909

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 am
harpsichords are sexy. =]
i used to be a big emilie autumn fan, and her gothic electric harpsichord thing was pretty awesome.
have you heard bach's brandenburg no. 5? the harpsichord in that is super kickass. anything but delicate. we played it in school last year. the tutti was super boring, but the harpsichord was amazing. look it up on youtube or something.  
Instruments and Vocals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games