Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 pm
I believe this association is one that is made commonly but I haven't really seen a topic that discusses it so I decided I would follow the thread a friend made on fanfiction.net for this one.

Adolph Hitler:

1. Grew up in a Jewish community where he and his mother were disliked and mistreated by his father.

2. Was over half Jewish yet he hated the Jewish people and blamed them for Germany’s problems and persecuted them in Death Camps along with Gypsies, Poles, and the disabled.

3. He had his own army: The Nazis and the Gustappo (Secret Police) that did his dirty work, and if they didn’t do the work or didn’t complete the task to his liking they were killed.

4.He was ignored by the German and European governments the first time he rose to power.

5.He was told to stop invading other countries. He promised he would stop and then broke that promise, invading Poland.

6.He had the idea for ‘a perfect race’, the Arians. The Arian traits were strength, blond hair, and blue eyes. He had black hair and brown eyes.

Voldemort:

1. Grew up in a Muggle orphanage, where he was abused, mistreated, and where he felt like an outcast. As a result he terrorized the other children there.

2. Was half Muggle yet he hated Muggleborns and even gave them an alternative, derogative term of their own, Mudbloods. He blamed them for the problems of the Wizarding World and prosecuted them, killing them along with Muggles and half-bloods.

3. He had his own army: The Death Eaters that did his dirty work for him, torturing and murdering the wizards, witches, and Muggleborns who didn’t agree with him. If they didn’t complete a task to his liking he tortured them using Crucio before using the killing curse, Avada Kedavra on them.

4. He was ignored by the Ministry of Magic the first time he rose to power and up until the climax of his terrorization.

5. He was told to stop terrorizing people but he didn’t and he gained followers.

6. He had the idea for ‘the perfect society’, one made up of strictly Purebloods, witches and wizards who had no Muggle blood in them at all.

Feel free to comment, add any similarities that were missed, ect. If there is a topic over this already, sorry.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:08 am
You know, I never realized that until now but you're dead on. I always thought Voldemort would make a cool psychological study.

gina787

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:11 am
JKR said she always assumed when something negative happened in the Muggle world then something negative occurred in the Wizarding World at the same time. When Hitler was in power Grindelwald was in power, and they were both defeated in 1945. As a result, I believe JKR meant for Grindelwald to be more similar to Hitler than Voldemort is. The HP books take place in the 90s; Voldemort was causing world problems the same time Saddam Houssein was, thus a comparison between those two figures would make more sense given what we know about JKR.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the effort that you put into your theory even if I don't agree. whee However, I must correct one thing: Hitler indeed had a partially Jewish background, but it was closer to one-eighth, not "Was over half Jewish."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 am
I love topics and theories that invite one to think. Twilight, well done on both topics!

Consider to strengthen and to invite thought, instead of listing facts, list comparisons, thus:

Adolph Hitler:

1. Grew up in a Jewish community where he and his mother were disliked and mistreated by his father.

1. Grew up in a Muggle orphanage, where he was abused, mistreated, and where he felt like an outcast. His mother was abused and mistreated by her father.

Etc.  

LadyHealingHands
Vice Captain

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:53 pm
Like Min, I always got the Hilter and Grindlewald connection. There are some things here that I didn't think of though. Very interesting. It does make you think. I love it biggrin .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:53 pm
Well, as I said, I simply got this from a friend on fanfiction.net in her HP forum and used her comparisons. But, I do agree with Min now that I think about it. While the similarities are there between Hitler and Voldie, there can be similarities found in other rulers as well.  

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

gina787

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:41 am
Also, the date for Dumbledore's duel with Grindelwald coincides with the fall of Nazi Germany. And the prison Nurmengard is remarkably similar to the city of Nuremberg where the war criminal trials for the former Nazis were held.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:26 pm
Glad you see my point, Twilight, and that you weren't annoyed that I disagreed. Although, as you said (and I failed to notice. Oops.) it wasn't "your" theory anyway, which would make you less defensive.

Gina, that's interesting about the cities; I hadn't noticed. cool

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:02 pm
While I do see all points made one must remember the saying "History repeats itself." Maybe they weren't PARRALLEL but they came AFTER one another? Who knows....just an idea...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:03 pm
Yay!! I'm not the only one who made some references like that!!
sweatdrop
As I said in (I think it's one of your topics) another post, I worked in Harry Potter references into a Holocaust midterm. The rise and reign of Voldemort played a heavy part in the paper.

You have no idea how happy I am now. xd I'm not crazy!  

trackstar06

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:16 pm
Ah, it is nice to find another person that can find the major, major similarities to between the two. I wonder if I can do Hitler for my Senior essay and work in the comparison between Voldie and Hitler....*goes to ponder*  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:06 pm
Well, despite my knowledge of Jo's tendancy to compare the muggle world to the wizarding world, I have used the comparison of Voldemort to Hitler to show several people that the Harry Potter books aren't evil. I have told them that it's not about witchcraft, it's about an evil figure trying to erase everyone he thinks is unworthy and a group of people who rise up to stop him. I never used the comparison of the war with Iraq before because we're not entirely sure if that's really over.  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 pm
I tried to use it as an example to show my dad, but he won't budge. He thinks Harry Potter teaches witchcraft but I personally blame my mother who practices REAL witchcraft. My dad doesn't realise that if I wanted to learn witchcraft I wouldn't read a fictional fantasy book, I would go ask my mother who I loathe and therefore wouldn't want to encourage her.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:25 pm
This topic totally died, didn't it?  

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers