19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
No laptop... (going old school xD )
33%
 33%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 42

Lup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:02 am
I'm not quite sure if this might be a suitable place for this thread, but here goes. (If it's not, I do beg your pardon)

The problem is laptop related. Does anyone have anything to say about the company "MSI" by any chance? You see I'm in the design industry, so I need a laptop that can keep up with programs such as Photoshop, Corel, 3DMax, Illustrator and so on...
And at a reasonable price I have found this one MSI... http://www.pcfun.ro/Notebook/Notebook-MSI-GX630X-006EU-AMD-X2-ZM-80-4G-320G
I'm not sure about the company name through, I need some info if it's good bad, whatnot...
I posted this in the forums as well, a very nice person helped me out, but I'd like your opinions as well...I would hate to jump into things, it's not that cheap...

Thanks for your time! Love you all! heart :]  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:59 am
as a computer geek and a designer as well, I highly recommend getting either a macbook pro or the msi.
MSI is very well know in the computer industry as being one of the best motherboard companies. I highly recommend Asus and MSI above ever getting any other brand name, windows-based(usually) pc...then the mac is in it's own little category of goodness. my next computer is probably going to be msi's Wind subnotebook pretty soon here.
it all depends on what you want and what you're willing to deal with. windows-based is always going to need extra protection and all that fun stuff, as mac won't need anti-virus or any of that stuff as it's all built into their unix-based security updates but isn't the cheapest.
I'd say go for the mac if you have the money, but the msi if you don't.

add: this probably belongs in the advice subforum, but I'll just leave it for now  

freaxy
Crew

Lup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:30 am
Oh sorry about that, I thought it might not belong here, and thanks.

Well I have an Asus now, but it was my mum's. And I need windows based, since also I have a low budget. But I'm glad to hear that it can keep up. Since all those programs take a lot of RAM and a good processor...
Thanks for the advice. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:28 pm
I have Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo with Linux.Been very happy with it. Bit older model, about 2 years old. With Linux you do not need those pesky virusprotections. And it is easy to use, after you get used to it. And you can get many programs to Linux, almost every program you can get for Windows.  

wilmuliini

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:05 am
I'm a linux user as well...but I don't recommend it as a design machine on a professional level.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:42 am
in terms of laptops, i love macbook laptops, they just seem to run so efficiently and stuff. To be honest though I use Debian on my desktop at home. But if you need a laptop i like the Mac biggrin , MSI is also pretty good too, its up to you surprised .  

Folgor

Lup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:51 am
Thank you for all your replies.
Linux is quite troublesome when it comes to design programs, maybe that's just me...
I would love a mac, but over here the basted things are so overpriced gonk
This MSI is within my price range, and it's quite powerful. i just wasn't sure about the MSI part, but I've been talking lately with lots of people, and they seem to think it's an ok company...so I decided to buy this model... :] Thank you all again, for your help.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:10 am
I don't have one ... crying  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:33 am
Macs are considered the best computer for designers, in fact, when I was going to graphic design school I got one just for that reason.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:45 pm
I have a Toshiba Satellite. But they are very hit-or-miss when it comes to technical issues. However their customer service is great, and most of the time if it's a defective part it's pretty easy to get it taken care of and not have another issue. I've had my current laptop for over 2 years and it runs well.

If you're not sure, I would pick a brand, and do your homework on the model.  

bbydaeriel93

Gaian Geezers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff