Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Homosexual male: Minority in HP slash? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guillotein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:29 pm
Half_A_Life
Harry Potter is a children's book, well, it's grouped up that way in the start but now it had death and all that in I do believe it isn't a child's book any-longer. No for under 10 year old anyway but I can understand why J. K doesn't put homosexuals in her book, the minority of us would love it but the majority of the world would be outraged is Harry or Ron or whoever woke up one morning thinking 'I'm gay!'

As you can see, I happen to be a guy, a very small group of guys that don't mind being open about being a guy, I think it would be great to have homosexuals etc in the books but it doesn't work out when in practice. Plus that and I think J. K is worried that people would suddenly hate her for it... But personally I'm annoyed after the sixth book but I'm not here to give a book review. Also I bet that if J. K did put a homosexual in her book and it was really innocent, you know, just a subtle hint he or she was gay then there would be a sticker on the front staying '16 and over.'
Well, I think I would be pretty pissed if any of the main characters had ay drastic chages made to them like being homosexual, just because it would seem so much like another fan-infulenced decision (I'm of the belief that Rowling totally added that Remus/Tonks bit purely to disprove the Sirius/Remus undertones).
But I would like to see someone write a popular book that features a homosexual character who is portrayed as a normal person, and their orientation isn't pointed out in every scene. It would be wonderful if a book as popular as Harry Potter had, like, the main character's parents be two men or something, just to show young people that, no, it's nothing to persecute or be ashamed of, that there's nothing wrong with being gay.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:43 am
First, hello everybody biggrin it's my second post only on that guild ^^

Guillotein
Well, I think I would be pretty pissed if any of the main characters had ay drastic chages made to them like being homosexual, just because it would seem so much like another fan-infulenced decision.

I agree, it would be totally out of story. it's her story, not our, if we don't like, that's the same confused . But, it doesn't stop us to do slash with her chara XD

But I still am afraid of something : during the year(s) between the publication of books, stories/fanfics become so the same, without surprises. And it works with the story as with the pairings. What will it be after the last book ? I don't think fanfics (or at least interesting fic) will continue to be published, although some which have already begin. The long one are often the more interesting ^^

Anyway, about the main topic (gays & HP), I'm surprised : I know men who doesn't care draw/read/discuss slash in their parody/mangas/fics/with their friends (boys or girls) about mangas.

But about HP, I didn't find any men who imagined slash with these charas sweatdrop

Why is that ? It is the same with you ? confused

Guillotein
(I'm of the belief that Rowling totally added that Remus/Tonks bit purely to disprove the Sirius/Remus undertones).

That's true, I was quite shocked. But she did well, so I liked it ^^

Guillotein
But I would like to see someone write a popular book that features a homosexual character who is portrayed as a normal person, and their orientation isn't pointed out in every scene. It would be wonderful if a book as popular as Harry Potter had, like, the main character's parents be two men or something, just to show young people that, no, it's nothing to persecute or be ashamed of, that there's nothing wrong with being gay.

I would too, but even in fanfics, it's rare that's well made so... crying  

Anyssia

Guillotein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:55 pm
Anyssia_art
First, hello everybody biggrin it's my second post only on that guild ^^

Guillotein
Well, I think I would be pretty pissed if any of the main characters had ay drastic chages made to them like being homosexual, just because it would seem so much like another fan-infulenced decision.

I agree, it would be totally out of story. it's her story, not our, if we don't like, that's the same confused . But, it doesn't stop us to do slash with her chara XD

But I still am afraid of something : during the year(s) between the publication of books, stories/fanfics become so the same, without surprises. And it works with the story as with the pairings. What will it be after the last book ? I don't think fanfics (or at least interesting fic) will continue to be published, although some which have already begin. The long one are often the more interesting ^^
I don't know.. There are still Lord of the Rings fanfics being written, even though the books were finished nearly 50 years ago (though I'm sure the movies had alot to do with the trilogy's recent popularity). I think HP is successful enough that the fandom will continue well after book 7 comes out.
As for the ones that will still be unfinished after the last book comes out (Like Alchemia & Bugland's "A Bittersweet Potion" series xD), they'll probably spark some new interest by themselves, and other writers will appear.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:33 pm
I just want to say I read most of the posts on here and think that everyone is pretty content with your choice of gender interest. I for one am one of those people who could go either way(bi). I have keep it mostly secreat because I have been unsure about it. I finally told some of friends(both female and male) and not alot of people in this world I have found out think bad of it. I just want to congradulate anyone who does become one of those who are "Different' as some would call but I also congradulate you. I like to see this world as, well, peoples playground. And if someone doesn't like how the ruls go then sod off! But, yes, I know i's corny but I'm really not that corny(usually). And well if they don't like what they hear then that's their fual and if that prson really likes/loves you firned or family then they will deal with it and come to see that it's really just natural. You can't help who you fall in love with no matter who it is or gender.  

BlackDove05

moon_childe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:13 am
Personally, when I find out that one of the writers that I've been reading was a guy, then I'm very happy. They have a whole lot more experience in the whole experience than I will ever have unless I finally make the gender change that I want. (Yes...I'm a girl... ninja ) I welcome any male writers with open arms...

And a bit off-topic, but ExProfessor Snape...I'm currently reading the fic that's in your signature...currently as in...it's up in another window at the moment... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:39 pm
I am staying quiet...  

Mrs Rayne Black

Sparkly Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100

Wensday1986

1,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm
Okay, to stat off with I didn't read all of it... it's something I'd need print off to read cause I don't have enough attention span to read so much info on the computer... sweatdrop slack I know. But I think I got the gits of it.

I've never though as Slash as a female only thing because I know that man can be and/or are just as good as writing as females are. It just seems like the slash commuity, as it was referred to, is all female because all you hear about are women who write it. And as with everything you write, whether you're male or female, someone will complain about it, sometimes it's about what you've written, and in this case it's about gender.

Nothing is ever gender related when it comes to writing, nor in the job force, however it is scarcity today that is trying to push things into Gender groups because of the simple fact that that's how it was decades ago. Women were hose-wife's, men did the work, women had to pretended to be me when they became authors for women weren't allowed to write.
To me it just seems that some women are trying to get back at men for being repressed like that. Me, I think repression should have never happened because we wouldn't have half the problems we have today because of it.

I've probably gone off topic slightly, but I kind of do that sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:20 pm
Just to point out something, but isn't the author of Stealing Harry a man?  

Minerva_McGonagall

Roane_Fossegrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:47 pm
My view on this is the following:

I think that slash is something to be enjoyed, written, seen, etc., etc. that wants to.
The idea that men can't enjoy slash because they are men is ridiculous. If you really wanted to make a case you would say the oposite. Because in a m/m slash story there is no woman involved.
Although I don't agree with this, you could say that since a woman doesn't "have the right parts" she can't enjoy a slash fic.
I find predjudice against someone because of their gender or their sexual preference disguisting. Sure you treat people differently by what they are, but you don't predjudice against them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:24 am
*Frowns* I don't know why people could outcast males from reading slash, or fanfiction in general. I guess that's kind of like saying femmeslash is for guys, and MxM is the female fanfiction section. I don't get it.
Everyone is entitled to read whatever they like. *Shrugs* And if a guy wants to read Harry Potter based slash, let them go for it.
Anyway, it doesn't affect you what other people read. Why tell them not to?  

Second Banshee

evy_writer

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:36 am
As an author, most of the readers in slash are women, but a few i wonder if they are males. And that is fine. I actually talked to one guy who had a girlfriend and read slash. he just said that it was more interesting. And quite frankly...it is! I mean, with a straight couple eventually it would still be okay, but with a gay couple it never truly is fine and the obstacles they have to overcome are very interesting and great to read/write. I would love to see J.K Rowling put a gay person in her books, but I've said for two or so years now that if she did people would hate her, like she said, people wouldn't want their children reading it and then the whole series would just be ruined.

I know some people would like for the author to write about whatever she wants, but when you get so far along in a series you sort of have to think what will the fans think now along with what do I want? Its sad, but I believe that its true. Now my religion is against homosexuality, but I still like them and don't discriminate against them. I don't believe that people are born gay, but it depends on how you were brought up or around people etc... anyway perhaps the homoharry will just have to stay within fanfiction. *sigh*

oh and before I forget. I know some people dont believe in Harry/Draco. I do, and this is the reason. Personally with Harry's power and all of that he needs someone his own strength. No girl could match that. And Draco has always been his rival. In book six it left a possibility that Draco could be good. I just hope he doesn't get killed. The main thing is that at least Harry doesn't want him to die (ex. the curse in the bathroom in book 6) he freaked. not only cause he was in trouble, but because he saw Draco cry and such. I really felt for him. He's beginning to see just how much his father has influenced him and how prejudiced and controlled his father really is. But Harry needs a strong man or at least a friend. When Ron marries Hermione (it's probably a given) Harry will be the third wheel. At least that's how fanfiction describes him. Either way, homosexuality wouldn't be a problem for us, but sadly with the majority as mentioned before...it is. *sigh* sad  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:43 pm
Wow...that is creepy that this whole slash thing has gotten to the point where gay men are being excluded by the yaoi fan girls...I know several gay men who write slash, and that is just so...ODD!

Ah well, people are idiots, as is proved time and again. Whee!  

Krimzon No More

GWPilot02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:53 pm
I'm very comfortable around gay men. They seem to gravitate toward me. It's quite odd. I know several of them and am very good friends with some. I'm very used to hearing of crush stories on guys from guys. I was raised Atheist, so I have no religious objection to it. I wasn't raised politically at all. Therefore, the choice to accept it was available to be made entirely by me personally. (I can't get the wording, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)

I am actually female, but I'm not very feminine. Whenever I play games with characters, I always pick the male not because I think they look good, but because I simply want to play a male. There are times I wish I was male. I've had comments from my friends that I am a guy stuck in a girl's body.

I can't say I have a set sexuality, since I'm not sexually attracted to anyone. Sure, there are some guys I think are very hot, but women can be too! But I'm still not physically attracted to them. I've had relationships with guys. I've had one female friend who told me she had a crush on me. It was a little awkward for me, but it wasn't to the point of all the guys who say "I'm fine with gay guys as long as they don't hit on me."

I've often thought of myself as a gay guy at heart, since I'm not terribly feminine, but I still like guys. My gender identity and sexuality are very vague. I'm not quite sure of any of it myself. Gah. Sorry for the weird rant, but I thought it was somewhat on topic...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:09 pm
Guillotein

I think you would enjoy the series by Mercedes Lackey titled "The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy." The main character is gay, known in their world as "shay-a-chern." (Shortened to Shaych) He has to go through accepting it himself, and then avoiding letting his father know. Throughout the series, it's not made a big deal of, but it is a generally known fact that he is shaych. In another trilogy of hers, the "Heralds of Valdemar" series, two minor characters (both female) are shaych partners.

Mercedes Lackey's books are very good. In the "Last Herald Mage Trilogy," the books are called "Magic's Pawn," "Magic's Promise," and "Magic's Price." The "Heralds of Valdemar" books are "Arrows of the Queen," "Arrow's Flight," and "Arrow's Fall." They are wonderful books, and you should try reading them at least once. Even if you aren't much of a fantasy fan, you might still like them.  

GWPilot02

JTequila

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Quite a few of Guy Gavriel Kay's books make references to or have minor gay characters. (In random parts too) and even have the problems of homophobia. He's a very good writer.

But I understand the want for it. I mean, how come Harry never is like "I wonder if I'm gay or not" because in all honesty, he'd probably do that at least ONCE in his teenage years. Or think about sex period. *eyeroll* but yes, it's for kids. So JKR can't add it in.  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff